• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Source for Olive Oil

I'm wondering if there is a good, hidden source for a quality EV olive oil in Seattle. I'd bought 2 large cans from the Spanish table a year ago but I've finally used it all up and am now in need of more oil. Does anyone know if Whole Foods or PCC has a quality EVOO in bulk? Any other tips? I've been to PFI but I'm not that impressed on the whole.

Hal

Don't think they carry anything in bulk, but ChefShop on 15th W carries a really good selection of different oils and you can go in and sample before you buy.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Don't know exactly what you mean by "quality" but Pacific FGood Importers (PFI) on south 6th in Seattle carries lots of olive oils (along with a lot of other wonderful things) that are by far the most reasonable prices in town. Not designer oils but great for everyday salads etc.

dave colby

Dave,

Your check is in the mail.

halland...of course I'd love it if you bought oil from me, but for larger quantities of everyday cooking olive oil at about $10/liter, I think the best deals will be Greek or Spanish oils. I'm convinced that those will most likely be real extra virgin, not a blend of refined oils. And these countries don't have the marketing power of the Italians, so they can't get the same prices. If possible, buy a small bottle first and taste it.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I've been to PFI but I'm not that impressed on the whole.

I'm with you. I don't know what the big deal about PFI is. Maybe cheese is cheaper there. Maybe I need to go there with someone who really loves it so they can guide me. But I absolutely don't find it cheaper in general.

Edit: Good bulk chocolate is cheaper there too.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Somewhat tangential to the topic, but...

I've seen adds for Olive Farm in some food mags. They sell Turkish olive oils and are based out of Portland I believe? Has anyone tried their product? Opinions, comments? Thanks.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

mikecyzy...

Bettini is the most pungent, which is the "official" IOOC term for what we call peppery. Because of wet summer weather last year, this year's (2002) Bettini isn't quite as pungent as last year's. It's a function of polyphenol levels, and for 2002 they're 110 mg/kg while for 2001 the number was 350 mg/kg.

The Tuscan Olio Novo (and novo is dialect for new, nuovo in Italian) is similar, but a wee bit less pungent.

I've only tried the Olive Farms virgin oil. It was pretty good, if a little mild for my tastes. It's the only place I've ever seen 'virgin' oil sold (only differs from extra virgin because free fatty acid level is > 1% but < 3%). Most virgin oil is blended with refined oil to give it some flavor so it can be sold here in the US, where there are no FDA requirements about labeling terms, as extra virgin.

As I said before in this post, the cheap extra virgin oils are probably not really extra virgin.

And nightscotsman, that goes for the Trader Joe's oil. I used it for along time, too, but tasted it at a class at UC Davis where I had my refined oil epiphany. I've made a personal decision to avoid refined oils of all kinds, so I stopped recommending it to my friends.

mike...I'm still looking for a cheap everyday oil. My search is slowed by the fact that I have a few liters of older 'good' oil that I can't really sell, so I use it for cooking.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food