• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meyer Lemons: Recipes and Storage

Andrew Fenton

Not sure if all Costcos are getting them, but I just noticed that they have Meyer Lemons at my local Costco (Vancouver, WA) for $6.50/4 lbs.

I hadn't found anywhere to buy them locally before this, and had never actually tasted one. Now I need to figure out how to save them somehow ;)

-Rick

Thanks for the head's up. I'll have to check to see if my Costco has them. FWIW, I tried freezing whole lemons once - not a good idea. I should think the juice would freeze all right though - maybe in ice cube trays?

My mother's tree is over run with Meyer's, it went crazy this year. I usually just zest and juice them and freeze both. Ice cube trays work the best because you can just take what you need and not have a chunk to thaw out. I'm thinking of trying a batch of Limoncello too.

• 3 weeks later...

I was gifted with a few the other day. The best thing I did with them was to thinly slice crosswise and toss with potato chunks and winter squash chunks (kabocha in this case) with garlic, hot pepper and olive oil (s & p as well) and then roasted. The lemon slices curled up and got almost crispy, releasing their perfume and flavor and also providing intense floral lemony nuggets to bite into.

About a month or so ago, I made a Meyer lemon budino with a boatload of lemons from a friend's tree. The recipe is on Epicurious.com. It was seriously good. So light but still so rich and flavorful.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I was gifted with a few the other day. The best thing I did with them was to thinly slice crosswise and toss with potato chunks and winter squash chunks (kabocha in this case) with garlic, hot pepper and olive oil (s & p as well) and then roasted. The lemon slices curled up and got almost crispy, releasing their perfume and flavor and also providing intense floral lemony nuggets to bite into.

Love the sound of this, going to try it immediately..thanks for the idea!

• 1 month later...

anyone have a great meyer lemon marmalade recipe preferably british style so not very sweet?

If you are wanting a marmalade that is not too sweet I would not be using the Meyer. If you can get hold of some Lisbon or Villa Franca they would make a more ' bitter' marmalade.

Meyers are a cross between an orange and a lemon ( I think!! :rolleyes: no. Im sure...)and I eat them right off our tree.

Even as a lemon to use with fish etc they fall a little short in the proper zing department!

• 1 year later...

Toots and I both like coconut, and we like lemon flavors as well. However, neither of us have tried coconut and lemon together, and I've been thinking about making a coconut meyer lemon panna cotta. Do you think this might be a good flavor combination? I'm having difficulty imagining it, and wouldn't want to waste the ingredients if it's a poor marriage of flavors. Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks!

... Shel

I think it could work. Coconut goes great with lots of tart tropical fruits, meyer lemon isn't really that different from lime, pineapple or passion fruit. Do it!

Or you could make a meyer lemon curd or some kind of lemon cookie, using the juice in a filling or glaze. Even though the zest smells amazing, i feel like the flavor of meyers doesn't come through as well as regular lemon zest, so I always use the juice too.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

• 2 years later...

Ooh, I like the sound of that finishing salt! I'll be doing that as soon as I can lay my hands on some more Meyers.

I'm used to the regular (Lisbon or Eureka) lemons but when I can get them I prefer the gentler, slightly more perfumed juice of the Meyers as a dressing for fish or chicken, or as the acid in vinaigrettes. The Meyers taste more like the lemons I've encountered in Egypt, where they use the juice almost uncut. In my household we've worked out an approximation of a dish we had in Luxor that involved a garlic/lemon/butter sauce over fish. If you're interested, you can go look at what we call "Roadway Inn Fish" (named for the New Radwan Hotel) here. (That's the recipe; the picture is a few posts earlier, here.)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ooh, I like the sound of that finishing salt! I'll be doing that as soon as I can lay my hands on some more Meyers.

I'm used to the regular (Lisbon or Eureka) lemons but when I can get them I prefer the gentler, slightly more perfumed juice of the Meyers as a dressing for fish or chicken, or as the acid in vinaigrettes. The Meyers taste more like the lemons I've encountered in Egypt, where they use the juice almost uncut. In my household we've worked out an approximation of a dish we had in Luxor that involved a garlic/lemon/butter sauce over fish. If you're interested, you can go look at what we call "Roadway Inn Fish" (named for the New Radwan Hotel) here. (That's the recipe; the picture is a few posts earlier, here.)

Love everything you've written.  And, yes, if one hasn't tasted a Meyer lemon it's impossible (IMneverHO) to describe the difference.  I'll definitely check that link.  Thanks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We moved to a home in FL this year, and the Meyer lemon trees in the yard are ripe.  

I've googled recipes but have never used Meyers before.  

Anyone have a recipe they've used before and liked?