• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter/Passover in NJ

Rosie

You could try your luck with some of the kosher bakers in Teaneck.

I don't think I've ever had a Pareve cake that was "decent" though. :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I would also try Mazurs in Lyndhurst, who always does a nice job on their regular baked goods.

http://www.mazurs.com/

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I don't want to sound mean, but Passover and "cake" don't belong together. Why not try a fruit crisp or homemade dark chocolate matzo (purchased matzo dipped in the best dark chocolate}. Even homemade macaroons dipped in dark chocolate. If this is for a present, I might suggest a bottle or two of Kosher for Passover Fox's Ubet. This may sound weird, but this is a vastly superior product than the regular Ubet because they have to use sugar instead of corn syrup. Do a taste comparison then stockup if you're into that kind of stuff.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I'd suggest a dessert recipe from a reliable source that is flourless. A true sponge cake or a coconut macaroon made from scratch. Even fresh fruit with a zabaglione sauce. Any cake made with matzoh meal or potato starch is not worth eating, no less buying.

I don't want to sound mean, but Passover and "cake" don't belong together. Why not try a fruit crisp or homemade dark chocolate matzo (purchased matzo dipped in the best dark chocolate}. Even homemade macaroons dipped in dark chocolate. If this is for a present, I might suggest a bottle or two of Kosher for Passover Fox's Ubet. This may sound weird, but this is a vastly superior product than the regular Ubet because they have to use sugar instead of corn syrup. Do a taste comparison then stockup if you're into that kind of stuff.

These are really good suggestions, Double0.

Crazy question, but does anyone know if there is a Phyllo that is kosher for passover? If its considered to be leavened, then probably not, but if it is, you could make stuff like baklava and various other honey-flavored Middle Eastern things.

These are really good suggestions, Double0.

Crazy question, but does anyone know if there is a Phyllo that is kosher for passover? If its considered to be leavened, then probably not, but if it is, you could make stuff like baklava and various other honey-flavored Middle Eastern things.

Uh, excuse me but isn't phyllo made with flour even if not with leavening? :blink:

Looks like my mom will be coming over and cooking Passover supper this year. She obtained 3-5lb boxes of Matzo from Shop-Rite by spending $50 and getting each one free. What would you do with all that matzo? Anyway I am sure matzo ball soup and a nice brisket will be in order.

She obtained 3-5lb boxes of Matzo from Shop-Rite by spending $50 and getting each one free.  What would you do with all that matzo?

If you have a shingle driveway, you could add some crumbled matzo. This gives a nice, crunchy sound when you walk on it, and also produces an interesting odor when it rains.

If your area is susceptible to flooding, matzo is an excellent filling for sandbags to pile around your house for protection.

Many experienced DIY fiends use finely grated matzo, glued on to old dress materials, in place of emery cloth. They say it gives wood a more heimische finish.

There are indeed many wonderful uses for matzo, but please make sure that, above all else, your Mom doesn't try to eat it :smile:

Anything with meringue is good. I used to make a chocolate chip/nut meringue cookie.

Yeah, even I'll admit to liking these. Rachel made some with high grade chocolate once, although, come to think of it, probably invalidates them as kosher for Passover.

Uh, excuse me but isn't phyllo made with flour even if not with  leavening? :blink:

So is matzo.

Its not about wheat flour, its about how its handled and the amount of time in the oven. Thats why its better to stay away from it.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Uh, excuse me but isn't phyllo made with flour even if not with  leavening? :blink:

So is matzo.

Its not about wheat flour, its about how its handled and the amount of time in the oven. Thats why its better to stay away from it.

Forbidden foods

Several foods are forbidden in observance of the week of Passover.

Breads and anything made with a leavening agent.

Wheat, barley, spelt, rye, oats, corn (including corn oil, cornstarch, corn syrup, confectioners' sugar) and products made from them. Also legumes (peanuts, dry beans, peas) and rice. (Sephardic Jews may eat rice.)

Beverages with grain alcohol or those prepared from grains.

Miscellaneous items are mustard and vanilla extract.

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20000413seder2.asp

Edited by stefanyb (log)

So is matzo.

Right, but Matzo is made from wheat flour. It sure as hell isnt a pappadum or Ka-Me rice cracker.

Although matzos may be eaten throughout the year, observant Jews abstain from doing so on the day preceding Passover so that taste of the matzos at the Seder will be a novelty. Kosher laws allow matzos to be baked from any of the 5 grains in the cereal family (wheat, barley, rye, buckwheat or oats) but most people prefer those made with wheat flour. Matzo dough must be kneaded, shaped and baked at temperatures in excess of 900 degrees, all within 18 minutes, so that even their simple, basic ingredients will be unable to ferment and rise. During the baking process, matzos are perforated to permit any leavening air bubbles to escape. This also retards fermentation.

from Kosher Today Newspaper Archives, "Newish Jewish So What's New In Matzos?"