• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter/Passover in NJ

Rosie

I have found a few places with cakes that use Kosher for Passover ingredients, but they aren't really acceptable to someone who keeps a Kosher home. (I think the bakeries would have to do some heavy duty cleaning to rid them of all traces of of ingredients that aren't Kosher for Passover to be acceptable.) Which means it will be a Schicks cake from Kings to bring to my husband's aunt's and I'll stick with the candy and fruit.

There used to be a bakery that somehow knew the trick of making great Kosher for Passover goodies in Roselle or Roselle Park, but I haven't been able to track it down.

For those who need desserts for homes that aren't so strict, I have found two bakeries--Cait and Abby's in South Orange and Millburn and Margie's Cakebox in Plainfield.

Matzo Lasagna

Matzo Kugel

Matzo Latkes

Matzo & Leftover Brisket Kugel

MDF (anyone watch Changing Rooms?)

Matzo Latkes are particularly tasty with a little cottage cheese tossed in to the batter. Then you serve them with cinnamon sugar. The big controversy in my family was always whether you were a "dunker" (you dunk your latke into the sugar) or a "shpritzer" (sprinkle the sugar on) with your cinnamon sugar. Kind of like being a "rounder"or a "Channeler" with your corn on the cob. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Passover for 20 at my Sister's, Easter (with a Passover friendly menu) at my place for 25.

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

i'm probably going to radicchio in Ridgewood, a place i hate.

the food is pretty good, but their policy is to have about 20 specials, and to not print them. you have to sit through a dissertation by the server, at least twice, to hear them. it's obnoxious, idiotic, foolish, offensive, and baffling. i vowed to never return after my last visit there about 2 years ago. however, peer pressure may have gotten the best of me. rest assured, i will not enjoy myself, and i will not post anything positive about it, even if the food blows my pants off.

Easter dinner at my aunt's house, for about 10 people. My aunt has decided that she's not making pasta for a first course this year, in deference to the fact that my father is Jewish (other years she just serves him soup or salad while we have pasta). So, to "make up for it", she's apparently making a leg of lamb, a ham, *and* a turkey (breast?)! Did I mention it's only about 10 people?!?

OTH, this topic reminded me that I need to search the archives for a butter cookie recipe. That's what I've been tasked to bring. :blink:

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

• 2 years later...

Thanks to Jason's blog for the inspiration; having been brought up on diet soda because I didn't like the cloyingness of regular, I have made it a priority to get my hands on Coke that's kosher for Passover.

Anyone know any places in Bergen County (around the Meadowlands?) that carry it so far? My local ShopRite and Stop & Shop don't have it and don't know if they'll get it.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Thanks to Jason's blog for the inspiration; having been brought up on diet soda because I didn't like the cloyingness of regular, I have made it a priority to get my hands on Coke that's kosher for Passover. 

Anyone know any places in Bergen County (around the Meadowlands?) that carry it so far?  My local ShopRite and Stop & Shop don't have it and don't know if they'll get it.

What is the difference between regular Coke and Kosher for Passover Coke, besides the little lable on the bottle/can?

Just curious as to how it is made differently.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

What is the difference between regular Coke and Kosher for Passover Coke, besides the little lable on the bottle/can?

Just curious as to how it is made differently.

Most US Made sodas are sweetened with corn syrup, which is not Kosher for Passover.

Not sure how that would affect diet soda, except that it is usually made in the same plant and could be "contaminated"

Kosher for Passover stuff must be made under strict supervision.

Anyone know any places in Bergen County (around the Meadowlands?) that carry it so far?  My local ShopRite and Stop & Shop don't have it and don't know if they'll get it.

I bet the Acme in Styertown in Clifton has it. They cater to the large Orthodox population in the area.

(Yeah, I know Clifton isn't Bergen County, but it is very near the Meadowlands :smile: )

I like "Kosher for passover" sodas better, they just taste better and less "oily" on my tongue for lack of a better way to explain it.

You mentioned you found this out from Jason's "blog" but where is Jason?! We haven't seen him since the first week in March around here on E-Gullet. Why wasn't something he would post about on here from him, since he is a "big figure" on e-gullet?

OH well, anyhow I should also mention that Whole Foods had Tsimmes and Noodle Kugel and Potato Kugel and other goodies last time I was over there! Maybe they carry a kosher for passover soda as well?

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Most US Made sodas are sweetened with corn syrup, which is not Kosher for Passover.

Not sure how that would affect diet soda, except that it is usually made in the same plant and could be "contaminated" 

Kosher for Passover stuff must be made under strict supervision.

Partially correct. ^_^ The reason I want the kosher for Passover is because it's made with regular sugar and not the high-fructose corn syrup. It's gotta be worth a try, IMHO.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I'm looking in Monmouth/Middlesex borderline area, too. I'm rationing the Mexican Coca Cola until we can find some Passover Coca Cola. Woo hoo! It's the time of year for binging on Passover Coca Cola, marshmallows AND stocking up on ketchup and chocolate syrup! If you can't take corn syrup, Passover is your "Christmas in April". Haha! :laugh::laugh:

edited by me: bigning, hahaha!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

This may not be the place to ask, and pardon my ignorance, but why is corn syrup considered non-kosher? It's an agricultural product, with no animal products involved.

Is it corn in general or something specific with the manufacturing?

(this question was posed by a nice Catholic boy...)

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Chametz includes anything made from the five major grains (wheat, rye, barley, oats and spelt) that has not been completely cooked within 18 minutes after coming into contact with water. Orthodox Jews of Ashkenazic background also avoid rice, corn, peanuts, and legumes (beans) as if they were chametz. All of these items are commonly used to make bread, thus use of them was prohibited to avoid any confusion. Such additional items are referred to as "kitniyot." We may not eat chametz during Pesach; we may not even own it or derive benefit from it
Source of this information

Jews who are observant do not consume any chametz during the days of Passover ... but there are two groups of Jews: Ashkenazic and Sephardic. The latter group is allowed to eat corn and rice and peas.

When I say this is quite complicated, I am not kidding ... it still mystifies me after some 35+ years of koshering my kitchen for Passover ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

it's not Coke... but I know that some Israeli Pepsi products just made it to North America on Friday and are on their way out here... maybe they'll be appearing in a store near you soon. Pepsi, 7Up and Orange - all corn syrup free.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any restaurants that serve "Kosher for Passover" friendly meals as a dine-in option?

We are not terribly strict about it so long as there is no leavened bread or leavened products and there is either a matzoh or unleavened substitute available. I know of so few restaurants that are open and "Kosher for Passover".

Hubby makes a great matzoh-brei and my mother in law and my sister can make great matzoh ball soup but it gets redundant after a while. I don't take the time out to cook so if anyone has great suggestions I'm listening!! Thanks. :biggrin:

Maybe I'll stock up on potato latkes and dress them different each day of passover. :raz::cool:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

I know that some of the kosher restaurants in NY are open for Passover. But I can't think of any offhand in NJ that are definitely open.

The kosher restaurants that I know of are Mosaica in Maplewood (Vauxhall Rd), and the Moshavi on Livingston Avenue in Livingston. What about some of the kosher restaurants on Cedar Lane in Teaneck?

Of course there would only be a few days when these would be open ---- Sunday through Tuesday lunch.

Hope this helps.

The Kosher Deli inside the Livingston Shop Rite will be open, you can pick up stuff from them too. Not sure how late they will be open today, and if you don't get it today you're out of luck until Sunday. But they are not really a 'dine in restaurant'.

If it doesn't have to be Glatt Kosher, Cafe Serene, will have some items. They actually have a whole passover catering list, but I am not sure how much they have in the storefront. They do have a small dine in seating area.

When I eat out during Passover I stick to salads, being even less strict than you I will go to non-kosher restaurants, so I can get by with that.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

In order for a place to be open, they would have to go through many ritualistic cleaning tasks, and most restos either will not bother, or will close altogether. What you need is a "kosher style" that is open but is really not adhering to the Passover rules.

You are so right Menton that is why i asked this. There is "Kosher style" for the less intense with no breadstuff or leavened stuff presented but not truly "Kosher for Passover" where all bread is eradicated from the premises.

Thank you and thank everyone so far... there are some good ideas of places to go should they be open and serving more of a "Passover friendly" venue.

Salad is OUT! :laugh: