• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
eatingwitheddie

Shrimp with Lobster Sauce

Shrimp with Lobster Sauce.

When did you first eat it?

Where do you like to eat/order it?

What do you expect when you order it?

What color is it's sauce?

Is it authentic or Americanzied Chinese food?

The question is when did I first not eat Shrimp with Lobster Sauce. During my formative years the Moore family went to our favorite Chinese Restaurant, in Morristown NJ, just off the square. Wonder if it's still there.

Anyway, my mother always ordered Shrimp and Lobster Sauce and I, being a good son, kept up that practice for at least the first fifteen years I was on my own. I still order it often, especially when I have a cold. Seems to work as good as chicken soup.

It does seem to be regional. Elsewhere I've seen it with a dark brownish sauce. Here in Philadelphia the sauce is much thinner than I prefer. I prefer the Shrimp with Lobster Sauce of my youth, a milky white sauce, fairly thick, lots and lots of shrimp, and plenty of green peas too. The fact that I then add soy sauce, making the sauce the same brown color that I object to, doesn't stop me from wanting the sauce to be white when it arrives at my table.

I've always thought Shrimp with Lobster Sauce was genuine Chinese fare, but I could easily be mistaking.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I think it's Americanized.

But I've never had it....

Actually reading a lot of your posts made me realize I haven't tasted a lot of things you guys have.

You are correct to assume that most Chinese restaurants who cater to Chinese customers are not those frequented by gringos (i.e. P.F. Changs). For the longest time I took a lot of things for granted, but I've just started to notice that the specialty items of the house are either posted on the wall or there is no English translation available. Which is really unfortunate for a lot of people who want to taste something authentic or innovative but can't read Chinese. I don't mean to offend anyone and I apologize if I do. Frankly I'm very surprised at the palates of the majority of the people here since you guys are considered gourmets anywhere else. I thought there would have been more exposure. When I was reading about your banquet at Sweet & Tart and FG mentioned that he didn't think Chinese soup could be so complex, I was just so surprised to read such a thing...

I've tasted kung pao but don't care for it. I don't like hot & sour soup. I don't eat chow mein. I've never had moo shu. It's weird; it's like this parallel universe where I grew up eating dishes very different. And I'm not slamming any of the Americanized dishes either; they don't taste bad.

Your semi-rant made me laugh and I found it interesting too. I too have never had shrimp with lobster sauce and I'm not even sure what it is. Maybe it's time to add it to the list of things my partner is cooking...he calls it his Americanized Chinese food phase. There were all these dishes we kept hearing about that people think of as Chinese food but he never grew up eating nor has ate since leaving the nest some 20 years ago. So far he's made kung pao chicken (which if you do it the way they do it in classic cooking schools in China is surprisingly good) and Mongolian lamb..no wait, I made the Mongolian lamb... and he's threatening to make sweet and sour pork next just for fun.

But some things I don't think you can say are not Chinese (like hot and sour or kung pao) just that they aren't classics from the region of cooking you're familiar with. For example, he's hokkien, with a paranakan stepmom, so it's not surprising that he didn't run into a lot of classic eastern or northern dishes in his formative food years. I had a Taiwanese boss for a while and once I made choy yuk bao (Cantonese style pork and cabbage steamed bao) and brought some in to him. He was so excited to see them and then his face just fell when he tasted them...he told me they weren't made the right way and he had to go out and get some he liked just to get over the disappointment...meanwhile other ethnic Chinese friends couldn't get enough. I have a colleague currently who told us her favorite way to stir fry cabbage...she's from the north and does it with dried chillies and black vinegar. I did it that way and really loved and then when the parnter tried to do it he automatically put ginger in because he couldn't fathom cabbage without ginger...when she smelled our lunch she told us it smelled funny...

Another thing is that many dishes have the same name but are in no way related to how they're made in their birthplace and how they're made other places. My friend went to southern China and was really surprised by all the "sweet and sour pork" she saw people eating in little hole in the walls...of course, it was nothing at all like what gets sold by the same name in the restaurants she'd been to in LA.

Then there are the familial biases that get introduced. The partner's grandmother didn't consider noodles a proper meal, so he'd have to sneak out for chow mein or chaw kway with his friends.

Anyhow, we still have no idea who General Tso is and why he was so concerned with chicken.

regards,

trillium

I think it's Americanized.

For the longest time I took a lot of things for granted, but I've just started to notice that the specialty items of the house are either posted on the wall or there is no English translation available. Which is really unfortunate for a lot of people who want to taste something authentic or innovative but can't read Chinese. I don't mean to offend anyone and I apologize if I do. Frankly I'm very surprised at the palates of the majority of the people here since you guys are considered gourmets anywhere else. I thought there would have been more exposure. When I was reading about your banquet at Sweet & Tart and FG mentioned that he didn't think Chinese soup could be so complex, I was just so surprised to read such a thing...

What is the Calvin Trillin book that has the story about him finding a professor of linguistics who could translate the specials from the walls of Chinese restaurants for him? I'll try to find it, it is hilarious. He goes on and on about how he tries to order what the Chinese people at the next table are eating, but the waiter always tells him that he won't like it.

My favorite Shrimp with Lobster Sauce is a brown sauce of shrimp, ground pork, garlic, ginger and black beans. It's finished with an whole beaten egg stirred in. Usually not on the menu if you're out in the boondocks, but if you explain what you want you may be surprised. I don't know if it is an authentic dish but servers become more friendly when I ask for it when it's not on the menu.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

a. When I was about 10 years old at King Yum restaurant in Hollis Hills, Queens.

b. My local take out joint.

c. I expect the shrimps to be big, juicy, plentiful, and not overcooked. I expect there to be lots of ground pork to be in the sauce, with chopped scallions, and not too much egg white.

d. I expect the sauce to be rediculously gloppy, but white.

e. its totally Americanized.

Jason Perlow

Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | View my food photos on Instagram

Growing up in suburban NJ, my first Chinese food meals were definitely Americanized, and quite often I might add. I also have to admit that I didn't exactly like shrimp until a little later in life, but the Americanized shrimp and lobster sauce was one of the only things I ate (without the shrimp). It was always white, and now that I can think back on it, definitely thickened with excess cornstarch.

In these days, I would certainly appreciate trying a real shrimp and lobster sauce.

what I don't get is that some takeout palaces will sell Lobster Sauce by either the pint or the quart all by itself. whether this is a potential moneymaker or not beats me.

I always thought "x" with lobster sauce was a way for Chinese takeout palaces to market something seemingly exotic without going out on a limb and exerting the effort needed to produce something authentically exotic (i.e., REAL lobster sauce) -- hence the overuse of things like egg white in order to produce the APPEARANCE of something approximating crab or lobster. Its a cheap and relatively effective way to market a dish that has very little or no basis in reality whatsoever.

Soba

Many Chinese sauces are named for what they are made to flavor, not for what they contain. Lobster Sauce, Fish Sauce, etc. Anyone who buys a quart of Lobster Sauce without the lobster--or shrimp--most likely deserves what he bought.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

(Dori Bangs)

If have some frozen shrimps at home, buy just the lobster sauce and combine the two. It's relatively economical and you can use whatever size shrimps you like best.

True shrimp with lobster sauce is nothing more nor less than shrimp with black bean sauce. Lobster , in Cantonese cuisine, is traditionally served with black bean sauce which is often renamed "lobster sauce".

Ruth Friedman

Thanks Ruth. You've confirmed what I've come to believe about this sauce. It can be called Black Bean or Lobster Sauce--but not "white" Lobster Sauce :blink: . Having recently ordered Shrimp with Black Bean Sauce at a well-respected local restaurant--hey, they're using jasmine rice--I was served something with bell peppers in it and no egg whatsoever.

Sigh, at least I can cook the real deal at home.

PJ

Edited by pjs (log)

"Epater les bourgeois."

(Dori Bangs)

pjs writes:

"One of my favorite Chinese recipes. Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, or Shrimp with Black Bean Sauce, or the new one, Shrimp with Egg Sauce."

Edited by eatingwitheddie (log)

pjs writes:

"One of my favorite Chinese recipes. Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, or Shrimp with Black Bean Sauce, or the new one, Shrimp with Egg Sauce."

True comfort food.

I am also fond of shrimp with egg and chive.

Ah, the food of my youth, along with Egg Foo Yung and Wor Shu Op! Now I've got to go find some again.

Suzanne, Wor Shu Op?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Suzanne, Wor Shu Op?

I also remember wor shu op from the days of "one from group A and two from group B". We encountered it only once and I cannot for the life of me recall where, except that it was not in NYC. If I remember correctly it was crisply roasted duck on a bed of some salad greens. Probably some Chinese American invention but, at that time, we enjoyed it and never saw it on another menu.

Ruth Friedman

Ruth Friedman

Thanks, Ruth.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

If only it had been crisp! What I remember is strips of duck (meat, fat, and skin) coated in ground almonds, and served in some undefinable brown sauce over yes, shredded iceberg lettuce. :sad: But who knew any better? Remember that I grew up in Flushing, NY, in the 1950s and '60s -- LONG before there was any good Chinese food available there. (For the record, we always went to Joy Wah.)

Why isn't it shrimp with shrimp sauce? Is the sauce ever used on lobster?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

or shrimp sauce on lobster?

I probably wouldnt care...those all sound great to me! :smile:

Edited by awbrig (log)

Or lobster sauce on lobster?

Growing up on Long Island, Lobster with Lobster Sauce was called Lobster Cantonese. The best part was sucking the lobster meat and sauce out of the shells. Messy but delicious.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Chocolatemelter
      Hey everyone.

So im looking for the most affordable chocolate shaking table that actually works.. does anyone have experience with the ones from AliBaba or china in general?

i bought a $100 dental table from amazon but i guess its not the right hrtz cause it kinda works, but not well enough.

im looking in the $500 range or under.. any advice? Thanks
    • By liuzhou
      Perhaps the food-related question I get asked most through my blog is “What's it like for vegetarians and vegans in China. The same question came up recently on another thread, so I put this together. Hope it's useful. It would also, be great to hear other people's experience and solutions.

For the sake of typing convenience I’m going to conflate 'vegetarians and vegan' into just 'vegetarian' except where strictly relevant.

First a declaration of non-interest. I am very carnivorous, but I have known vegetarians who have passed through China, some staying only a few weeks, others staying for years. Being vegetarian in China is a complicated issue. In some ways, China is probably one of the best countries in which to be vegetarian. In other ways, it is one of the worst.

I spent a couple of years in Gorbachev-era Russia and saw the empty supermarkets and markets. I saw people line up for hours to buy a bit of bread.  So, when I first came to China, I kind of expected the same. Instead, the first market I visited astounded me. The place was piled high with food, including around 30 different types of tofu, countless varieties of steamed buns and flat breads and scores of different vegetables, both fresh and preserved, most of which I didn't recognise. And so cheap I could hardly convert into any western currency. If you are able to self-cater then China is heaven for vegetarians. For short term visitors dependent on restaurants or street food, the story is very different.

Despite the perception of a Buddhist tradition (not that strong, actually), very few Chinese are vegetarian and many just do not understand the concept. Explaining in a restaurant that you don't eat meat is no guarantee that you won't be served meat.

Meat is seen in China as a status symbol. If you are rich, you eat more meat. And everyone knows all foreigners are rich, so of course they eat meat! Meat eating is very much on the rise as China gets more rich - even to the extent of worrying many economists, food scientists etc. who fear the demand is pushing up prices and is environmentally dangerous. But that's another issue. Obesity is also more and more of a problem.
      Banquet meals as served in large hotels and banquet dedicated restaurants will typically have a lot more meat dishes than a smaller family restaurant. Also, the amount of meat in any dish will be greater in the banquet style places.

Traditional Chinese cooking is/was very vegetable orientated. I still see my neighbours come home from the market with their catch of greenery every morning. However, whereas meat wasn't the central component of dinner, it was used almost as a condiment or seasoning. Your stir fried tofu dish may come with a scattering of ground pork on top, for example. This will not usually be mentioned on the menu. Simple stir fried vegetables are often cooked in lard (pig fat) to 'improve' the flavour.

Another problem is that the Chinese word for meat (肉), when used on its own refers to pork. Other meats are specified, eg (beef) is 牛肉, literally cattle meat. What this means is that when you say you don't eat meat, they often think you mean you don't eat pork (something they do understand from the Chinese Muslim community), so they rush off to the kitchen and cook you up some stir fried chicken! I've actually heard a waitress saying to someone that chicken isn't meat. Also, few Chinese wait staff or cooks seem to know that ham is pig meat. I have also had a waitress argue ferociously with me that the unasked for ham in a dish of egg fried rice wasn't meat.

Also, Chinese restaurant dishes are often given have really flowery, poetic names which tell you nothing of the contents. Chinese speakers have to ask. One dish on my local restaurant menu reads “Maternal Grandmother's Fluttering Fragrance.” It is, of course, spicy pork ribs!

Away from the tourist places, where you probably don't want to be eating anyway, very few restaurants will have translations of any sort. Even the best places' translations will be indecipherable. I have been in restaurants where they have supplied an “English menu”, but if I didn't know Chinese would have been unable to order anything. It was gibberish.

To go back to Buddhism and Taoism, it is a mistake to assume that genuine followers of either (or more usually a mix of the two) are necessarily vegetarian. Many Chinese Buddhists are not. In fact, the Dalai Lama states in his autobiography that he is not vegetarian. It would be very difficult to survive in Tibet on a vegetarian diet.

There are vegetarian restaurants in many places (although the ones around where I am never seem to last more than six months). In the larger cities such as Beijing and Shanghai they are more easily findable.

Curiously, many of these restaurants make a point of emulating meat dishes. The menu reads like any meat using restaurant, but the “meat” is made from vegetable substitutes (often wheat gluten or konjac based).

To be continued
    • By liuzhou
      I know a few people here know her already, but for those that don't, she is simply the best creator of Chinese food and rural life videos. It's not what you will find in your local Bamboo Hut! It's what Chinese people eat!

Here is her latest, posted today. This is what all my neighbours are doing right now in preparation for Spring Festival (Chinese New Year to the Lantern Festival 15 days later), although few are doing it as elegantly as she does!

Everything she posts is worth watching if you have any interest in food.

• By liuzhou
      Wowotou buns ( 窝窝头 wō wō tóu), also known more simply as wō tóu are originally from northern China. The name means "nest" and they come in many forms. These are the ones I use. As you can see, they are usually stuffed with whatever the cook decides. These are stuffed with spicy pork and pickled greens, but I've also served them with a seafood stuffing.

This is the recipe I usually use.

窝窝头

350 grams all-purpose/plain flour
      150 grams black soya bean flour
      3 grams instant yeast
      260 grams  milk

Mix the flours well, dissolve the yeast in the milk and stir into the flour until a dough forms. Knead the dough until smooth. Cover with plastic
      wrap and leave in a warm place until double in size.

Sprinkle flour on the chopping board, knead the dough, adding more flour if too wet. until all air is expelled and the dough has a smooth surface.

Form the dough into six even-sized balls and rub between the palms until smooth and round. Flatten slightly, then use your thumb to press the dough into a nest shape.

Steam covered for 30-35 minutes.

Note: The flours used vary a lot. Corn or sorghum flours are very popular, but I don't like corn and sorghum isn't the easiest to find here in southern China. Use what you like, but the overall quantity for this recipe should be 500 grams. It has been suggested that pure corn flour is too sticky, so probably best to mix it with regular wheat flour.

They freeze well.

Recipe adapted from 念念不忘的面食  by 刘哲菲 (Unforgettable Wheat Foods by Liu Zhefei). This isn't a direct translation, but retelling of the gist. Any errors are mine. Not Ms. Liu's.
    • By liuzhou
      This arose from this topic, where initially @Anna N asked about tea not being served at the celebratory meal I attended. I answered that it is uncommon for tea to be served with meals (with one major exception). I was then asked for further elucidation by @Smithy. I did start replying on the topic but the answer got longer than I anticipated and was getting away from the originally intended topic about one specific meal. So here were are..

I'd say there are four components to tea drinking in China.

a) When you arrive at a restaurant, you are often given a pot of tea which people will sip while contemplating the menu and waiting for other  guests to arrive. Dining out is very much a group activity, in the main. When everyone is there and the food dishes start to arrive the tea is nearly always forgotten about. The tea served like this will often be a fairly cheap, common brand - usually green.

You also may be given a cup of tea in a shop if your purchase is a complicated one. I recently bought a new lap top and the shop assistant handed me tea to sip as she took down the details of my requirements. Also, I recently had my eyes re-tested in order to get new spectacles. Again, a cup of tea was provided. Visit someone in an office or have a formal meeting and tea or water will be provided.

b) You see people walking about with large flasks (not necessarily vacuum flasks) of tea which they sip during the day to rehydrate themselves. Taxi drivers, bus drivers, shop keepers etc all have their tea flask.  Of course, the tea goes cold. I have a vacuum flask, but seldom use it - not a big tea fan. There are shops just dedicated to selling the drinks flasks.

c) There has been a recent fashion for milk tea and bubble tea here, two trends imported from Hong Kong and Taiwan respectively. It is sold from kiosks and mainly attracts younger customers. McDonald's and KFC both do milk and bubble teas.

Bubble and Milk Tea Stall

And Another

And another - there are hundreds of them around!

McDonald's Ice Cream and Drinks Kiosk.

McDonald's Milk Tea Ad

d) There are very formal tea tastings and tea ceremonies, similar in many ways to western wine tastings. These usually take place in tea houses where you can sample teas and purchase the tea for home use. These places can be expensive and some rare teas attract staggering prices. The places doing this pride themselves on preparing the tea perfectly and have their special rituals. I've been a few times, usually with friends, but it's not really my thing. Below is one of the oldest serious tea houses in the city. As you can see, they don't go out of their way to attract custom. Their name implies they are an educational service as much as anything else. Very expensive!

Tea House

Supermarkets and corner shops carry very little tea. This is the entire tea shelving in my local supermarket. Mostly locally grown green tea.

Local Guangxi Tea

The most expensive in the supermarket was this Pu-er Tea (普洱茶 pǔ ěr chá) from Yunnan province. It works out at ¥0.32per gram as opposed to ¥0.08 for the local stuff. However, in the tea houses, prices can go much, much higher!