• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrimp with Lobster Sauce

eatingwitheddie

Or lobster sauce on lobster?

Growing up on Long Island, Lobster with Lobster Sauce was called Lobster Cantonese. The best part was sucking the lobster meat and sauce out of the shells. Messy but delicious.

Yes, growing up in Brooklyn and Queens it was Lobster Cantonese. Shrimp in Lobster Sauce was poor man's Lobster Cantonese.

Broth, cornstarch, garlic, ground pork, egg, peas and scallions.

One Japanese friend that I always went to Chinse resaturants with ordered this every single time and I actually got so sick of it that I haven't eaten it since college! :angry:

I have never really seen the same thing in Japan though.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

It's a brown sauce not a white one.

Made with ginger, garlic, soy sauce, fermented black beans, ground pork and an whole beaten egg that you stir into the dish to finish it. No broth, only water. No peas either Stefany. :wink:

Definitely not something you can order in the local restaurant unless you live on Elizabeth St.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

I also don't remember peas -- maybe, maybe not. Color may have only come from the scallions and the seafood. But I'm sure fermented black beans were NOT included. That would have been waaaaay too exotic for 1950s Queens County. After all, for us shrimp and pork and lobster were about as exotic as you could get. :raz:

I wouldn't characterize the sauce as either brown or white -- it was just sort of grayish from the ground pork, and streaked with white from the (not-very-thoroughly-mixed) egg, and kind of gloppy from cornstarch. My mother and sister both had fits from the eggy stuff. :laugh:

Is stuff like that even still available???

Yes, still available. In fact I had it for lunch today because of this thread. Although it was a thick and gloppy mess, i enjoyed it mostly because I haven't had it in at least 10 years. It was almost white and there were a few peas in it.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Here's a hit and run recipe for authentic Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, or Shrimp with Black Bean Sauce, or Shrimp with Egg Sauce, or...

Cook the shrimp. About a pound. Velveting is recommended but you can stir-fry instead if you must. I velvet using a marinade of sherry (1 TBS) and cornstarch (1 TBS). Drain and set aside.

For the sauce stir-fry some chopped ginger (2 tsp), some chopped garlic (1 TBS), and a 1-2 TBS of well-rinsed minced salted black beans in some oil over very high heat for 30 seconds or so. Add a handful of well-chopped or ground pork, 2 TBS of soy sauce, a little sugar and 1 cup water. Simmer for two minutes to reduce slightly. Add the shrimps and about a 1/4 cup cornstarch slurry to thicken. Gently stir in one well-beaten whole egg to finish.

This sauce is definitely brown, not grey or white, and oh so yummy.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

• 3 weeks later...