• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teriyaki Sauce

Akiko

It amazes me how many different ways to do this.... I've never had a recipe but have thrown things into the marinade as I please..

but after having, too salty, too strong soy taste, too sweet... I've started to watch my quantities to tweak to taste.

The best teriyaki sauce I've ever had was at my local japanese restaurant where I grew up (long gone).

But I generally put in soy sauce (regular) sake sugar ginger garlic green onions, and sprinkle sesame seeds in the end.

Sometimes chillis go in if I'm in the mood for heat.

I just read the masterchef recipe which is equal soy, mirin, sake, a little sugar... and that is it. I can't imagine teriyaki sauce without a little ginger.

How do you make yours?

I make mine similar to that masterchef recipe

2/3 cup soy

2/3 cup sake

2/3 cup mirin

1 to 2 Tablespoons of sugar

I make a huge batch and keep it in the regriferator for quite a while so I don't add anything else, this way also I can doctor it up a bit depending on my feeling. Some ginger, some scallion, some garlic, some pineapple :blink: , or a little of everything. It is a great base sauce and great on its own.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 weeks later...
I thought teriyaki was a gai-jin invention?!?

nope, teriyaki is truely Japanese.

the variations with tons of sugar and things like pineapple is the gaijin twist on it!

I use shoyu and sake in equal parts, half that for mirin. Then ginger or scallions or chiles or any combination thereof.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I usually avoid teriyaki dishes since no one makes it right. In NYC it's common to see it for lunch box among (un-authentic) Japanese restaurant. But it's a a good introduction for non-sophisticated Japanese cuisine among most gai-jins. Like my younger brother who prefers to eat at 'Teriyaki Boy' (Jap fastfood chain) than some chi chi Japanese restaurant.

Jinmyo, your formula for teriyaki sounds very Korean - spicy! Morimoto would be proud. :cool:

Pineapple sounds interesting is that using the juice or chunks. Could pass as a Hawaiian Teriyaki dish.

Yeah, teriyaki is Japanese, but I've heard that modern variations all came from overseas. Originally teriyaki was made by grilling fish until half-done, and only then brushing on the teriyaki sauce several times until glistening (the 'teri' in teriyaki means to glisten or glitter). Using chicken and beef and cooking in a frying pan were all tried (the story goes) by Japanese chefs working in America, and the wild popularity of these new-fangled ways eventually reached back to Japan and now chicken teriyaki made in a frying pan is a standard Japanese dish.

Still, it's not nearly as popular here in Japan is it is overseas. I've only made it once- the old-fashioned grilled fish kind, with the same sauce Torakris uses, and it was really really good. I think I better try it again.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

• 2 years later...

Teriyaki chicken last night!

gallery_6134_1960_34870.jpg

I used the recipe for the sauce I posted above. I wasn't planning on taking a picture of which is why it looks like it was just dumped in the dish, but since I was taking pictures of the rest of the meal I though what the hell...

Teriyaki chicken last night!

It makes me hungry just looking at it! :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog