• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tyler's Ultimate

Sandra Levine

Ever since he did the food festival series, I can't watch this guy. He never even attended the festivals, he just did voice overs after the fact. For this, I think of him as more of an anti-Bourdain than Emeril could ever be.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

What's his restaurant, "Cafeteria" like? Does his apparent enthusiasm for cooking carry over into his commercial enterprise? Is he ever there or does he really live in the TV? Thanks

... champing at the bit...

it's refreshing to see someone besides my self use that phrase. :smile:

Call me an illiterate putz but, uh, isn't the phrase, "chomping" at the bit. :cool:

Acc. to the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2nd Edition:

champ v.t. 1. to bite upon or grind, especially impatiently 2. To crush with the teeth and chew vigorously or noisily; munch 3. to mash; crush

Champ at the bit to betray impatience, as to begin some action

Also, chomp

... champing at the bit...

it's refreshing to see someone besides my self use that phrase. :smile:

Call me an illiterate putz but, uh, isn't the phrase, "chomping" at the bit. :cool:

Thanks roz...

I also called my mother to verify this, and she, the horsewoman, said, it has to do with the way a horse's jaw works, where they are also pulling at the same time (using the jaw).

yes ma'am...

That's more like it.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh, Chef Spencer dear....Do Not Mess with Jaymes! :biggrin::biggrin:

To know her is to fear and adore!

I kinda got that impression. Thank you for the concern... :biggrin:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well - in that case - I feel compelled to explain myself....

About dearest Tyler - it's not that he's my absolute all time fave that can do no wrong - I just think he's a cutie. Men should have no trouble whatsoever understanding that concept. They've adored and elevated to Goddess status the absolute stupidest, most incompetent actresses for YEARS based on nothing more than appearance.

And Tyler certainly doesn't care about or need my support - he's doing quite well without it.

And truth to tell, I don't really give a rat's patooty what CWSpencer or anyone else thinks about him..... pretty low on my radar screen of concern and indignation.

It was that condescending "housewife" crack that got my spatula in a twist.

Because, after all, even if I were the most "housey" of "wives," I think I should still be able to express my opinion without someone telling me that I was just a worthless drudge that should shut my mouth.

And get back down upon the kitchen floor and finish up my scrubbing.

And stop disturbing the sophisticates that are trying to have an educated conversation out in the living room.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Show = good

Cameraman = drunk

Coincidence? :unsure:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Because, after all, even if I were the most "housey" of "wives," I think I should still be able to express my opinion without someone telling me that I was just a worthless drudge that should shut my mouth.

And stop disturbing the sophisticates that are trying to have an educated conversation out in the living room.

Uh, Jaymes, I don't think anyone said all that. :unsure:

But if they did, they'd deserve a good ass whoopin'. :wink:

Edited by Ron Johnson (log)

Uh, Jaymes, I don't think anyone said all that. :unsure:

But if they did, they'd deserve a good ass whoopin'. :wink:

Hey thanks Ron but I think I made the housewife comment. But her retort was a less than savory. I don't mind. I deserved it. :biggrin:

What's his restaurant, "Cafeteria" like? Does his apparent enthusiasm for cooking carry over into his commercial enterprise? Is he ever there or does he really live in the TV? Thanks

He hasn't worked there for some time now. Concentrating on the shows and the book. (And his son).

• 2 weeks later...

Have seen all 4 episodes so far of this show, and it's pretty good. Tyler is a rather pleasant sort, not obnoxious or too sure of himself. The show combines the best elements of travel, culture and cooking. The most recent one about seafood soup was particularly enjoyable, the fellow in France cooking up bouillabaisse, and then the pip of a Louisiana lady cooking up Gumbo.

The other noteworthy shows have been Apple Pie, Roasted Chicken, and Pizza. Hope they keep up the good work!! One of their better Food TV shows, IMHO.

I see they have switched Tyler and Cooks Tour. Following Tyler is Bourdain headed to Morocco, not sure if it's a rerun or not...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I just caught the bouillabaise episode and enjoyed it as well....  GO TYLER! :wub:

I thought that was a really interesting juxtaposition -

First to the Med to sample Bouillabaisse. Then to the U.S. Gulf coast to try the Gumbo.

Then back to NYC to come up with his "combination" - thereby producing the "Ultimate Sea Food Soup."

Excellent conception.

Two of the world's most famous fish stews side by side.

I'm looking forward to trying the Ultimate Sea Food Soup.

Hope it's as good as it looked. :rolleyes:

I've watched a couple episodes of this ... the chicken and the pizza ones ... I thought Tyler was acting a little obsequious when he proclaimed how truly great the english woman's chicken or the italian woman's pizza was. His enthusiasm seemed contrived and phony.

Acc. to the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2nd Edition:

champ  v.t.  1. to bite upon or grind, especially impatiently  2.  To crush with the teeth and chew vigorously or noisily; munch  3. to mash; crush

Champ at the bit to betray impatience, as to begin some action

Also, chomp

Rozrapp,

You can be my editor/copy editor anytime. :biggrin:

Edited by David Leite (log)

David Leite

Leite's Culinaria