• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cinnamon Bun Topic

vox

Has anybody tried these buns that were featured on an episode of Road Tasted on FoodTv? How about anyone in DC area been to Sticky Fingers Bakery?

They looked so good, no fat and no cholesterol, and I am not a vegan, but I occasionally would like to try something that might be healthy for me and look great.

The other items they have really good aswell.

http://www.stickyfingersbakery.com/sweets.html

I think I have seen this episode and I was very amazed on how their sweets look like.You couldnt tell they are vegan, I wish i could come up with something like that , I am not vegan as well but I would like to try different things.

I am wondering how they make all their frostings , fillings cookies etc.

Vanessa

• 6 months later...

Ok I made some cinnamon rolls last night.I used the recipes from the baking illustrated book.

The dought was nice and esy to work.Now the recipe calls for rapid raise yeast and I have the impression that you shouldnt refrigerated the dough when that kind of yeat is in it.Because thats what I did, since the process is long ( 3 hours at least ) I wanted to make them the night before and be able to bake them for the breakfast .Anyhow , the dought was crunchy and hard and you could see the texture was areated with small holes in it .I was expecting for a flacky and soft dough instead.

Now it is possible that the fridge did this , or something else.

This is the formula:

1/2 cup of milk

1 stick butter

1/2 cup warm water

1 package of instant yeast

1/4 cup sugar

1 egg

2 yolks

1 1/2 tsp salt

4- 4 1/4 cups of AP flour

Thank you :smile:

Vanessa

As I've learned in culinary school, when something goes wrong, there are usually multiple reasons that could be to blame. Did you wrap the dough well in plastic while it was refrigerated? You definately don't want the dough subjected to open air for hours and hours. Did the dough look just fine before it went into the refrigerator? I don't think the quick rise is to blame, but you could certainly use regular yeast if you're doing to do the dough the day ahead (which I do often so I can treat my kids to fresh baked stuff in the AM).

The dough will continue to rise for some time in the refrigerator and then it will reach a temp where the yeast stops growing. I'd recommend bringing the dough out of the refrigerator, bringing it to room temp and cutting it down to proof for the final rise before it goes into the oven in the AM.

If you want to try a different recipe that I know works, you can check out the CINNAMON SWIRL BREAD recipe on www.MarkCooks.com click on the RECIPES tab.

This bread is made in roll form so instead of putting in a loaf pan, you can slice it down to make rolls.

Best of luck,

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I'm not so sure that rapid yeast is to blame either. The recipe from BBA says you can retard the rolls in the fridge overnight, just take them out in the morning an hour before you want to bake, to proof, and it uses rapid rise yeast. I've made these and retarded as suggested, with no problems.

Looking at the amount of flour you're using, I'm wondering though. The BBA calls for 3 1/2 cups of AP or Bread flour as does the recipe from King Arthur's flour. 4 - 4 1/4 cups seems a bit much to me.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Its very helpfull to know the rapid raise yeast is fine ( I dont have much experience with it yet ).

I will try the recipe Mark posted as well , thank you much :smile:

Do you usually spread butter other than sugar cinnamon , as filling for the rolls?The recipe I followed doesnt use butter but only sugar and cinnamon.

Thnak you guys

Vanessa

The recipe in BBA calls only for cinnamon sugar. The recipe in King Arthur's flour calls for the spreading of butter first, then cinnamon sugar. Having done it both ways now, I like the spreading of butter first. It just makes it a bit richer.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 9 months later...

One of the best cinnamon buns I've ever had was from Cinnabon. I love the ooey-gooey cinnamon and sugar filling, with the fluffy cream cheese icing and layers and layers of yummy, moist, fresh bread.

So now cinnamon buns are on my list of tings to make in 2008. I'm looking for a great recipe. The buns must have lots of layers to peel and unravel, and the layers themselves must be tall and thin, not short and puffy. I hate when the outside of the bread gets dry and brown while baking. The filling should be gooey and almost pudding like. I find sometime tat the filing is really dry inside cinnamon buns. Frosting should always be cream cheese!

Err, so now I wrote that...I'd love it if everyone would post their favorite recipe! Brownie points if you post pictures of the finished product!

Thanks,

Brigid

Edited by Brigid Mary (log)

Okay, I'll play.

My favorite bread recipe for Cinnamon Rolls is the brioche out of Baking With Julia. Then I roll it out really thin and pour butter on it until I gasp. Then I spread a fairly heavy layer of brown sugar over the butter and sprinkle generously with cinnamon. I roll it up into this giant roll and slice off buns as big as I want.

After they are done baking, I make icing out of confectioner's sugar, cream cheese and cream and drizzle that over the rolls when they are first out of the oven, so it soaks in. Let them sit 10 minutes while I tap my feet (because like so many things in life anticipation heightens pleasure - and I hate burning my lip on hot carmely brown sugar). Drizzle another layer of icing and then pig out. I really have started forcing myself to invite people over when I do this because otherwise, I may as well just smear them on my behind.

Ellen

Eileen, I think my aunt may have just gotten that book. I'll have a look in there when I visit it next weekend.

Ellen, that sounds really, really good. Your writing amuses me. :biggrin: Have you ever made Peter Reinhart's middle-class brioche? I have BBA, but not Baking with Julia. I may try and use is! Sounds oh so good. =3

I have never seen the Reinhart recipe, but try it. Anything that has so much butter as ANY brioche recipe has to make good cinnamon rolls.

Thank you for the complement on my writing style. I have a tendency to write just what I think. Then I read it and think, "Did that make sense to anyone else?"

;-) Ellen

• 10 months later...

I am making a regular yeasted dough recipe for cinnamon buns this weekend (The recipe is cinnamon buns from heaven by Nikki Cross printed in The Oregonian). It makes 18 rolls - that is 9 too many. A couple of questions -

1. Can I just cut the recipe in half?

How would that effect baking time?

2. Can I freeze the extras? Would I freeze them baked or unbaked.

After long reserch I found a really good recipe for cinnamon rolls, I mean they are nice soft and what I wanted.

I found the recipe online so I' ll post the link

http://www.recipezaar.com/Copycat-Cinnabon...ith-Icing-17359

Also this one was very good dough

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_37125,00.html

I have watched the show that day and I went to look for the recipe, very good brioche dough, I didnt make sticky buns but regular cinnamon rolls, they were Huge!

Vanessa

After long reserch I found a really good recipe for cinnamon rolls, I mean they are nice soft and what I wanted.

I have watched the show that day and I went to look for the recipe, very good brioche dough, I didnt make sticky buns but regular cinnamon rolls, they were Huge!

Just a cursory glance at the recipe from food network, but it looks close, if not identical, to Nancy Silverton's which is a to-die-for cinnamon sticky bun recipe. Fantastic.

Just a cursory glance at the recipe from food network, but it looks close, if not identical, to Nancy Silverton's which is a to-die-for cinnamon sticky bun recipe. Fantastic.

I saw that program a while back and have a copy in my file. I have done the one from Baking with Julia, and that's my favourite. I am real curious to see how Joanne's compares to the one from Julia.

• 13 years later...