• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Max's Italian Grill

shugga

Stopped here for dinner last evening after Mass. The food was extremely good. I had the veal chop with gorgonzola sauce and the Insalata Mista.

The salad was very fresh and had a good mixture of greens with some slivers of red pepper, plum tomatoes and onion, in a very good house vinegarette.

My husband had the Caesar Salad and the filet mignon special, which he said was excellent.

We did not have dessert just coffee.

It is BYOB, which we did not know, but we will the next time.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Sure can!

Max's Italian Grill

39 Highwood Ave

Tenafly, NJ 07670

201-569-7171

Edited by shugga (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Another wonderful meal at this small BYOB restaurant. I had the monkfish special with oyster mushrooms in a light cream sauce. My son had the rabbit and loved it! Daughter and DH had a shrimp dish with diced tomatoes, mushrooms, capers in a white wine sauce. Daughter's BF had Max's Fettuccine, which is green fettuccine in a vodka sauce with shrimp. Son's friend had chicken Marsala.

Everything was delightful.

• 3 weeks later...

I see where the Record reviewed Max's today and gave it 3 diamonds! Very well deserved IMHO!

I can't find the review for Max's online, but since you mentioned they were reviewed, we decided to try them before they get crowded. Everything was very good, especially the mussels appetizer. They have a marinara version on the regular menu, but we had them with a saffron cream as offered with the specials. The sauce was OK, but the mussels themselves were superb PEI specimens. We also had the carrot soup, the turkey special and the steak off the menu. Everything was very very good. We'll have to go back a few more times to decide if there is any specific item we'd want to recommend because right now I'd say, order what sounds good to you, we did and everything was.

I see where the Record reviewed Max's today and gave it 3 diamonds! Very well deserved IMHO!

As we have discussed ad infinitum, The Record gives just about every restaurant and grease pit it reviews 3 stars; Not reliable, and not a proud achievement.

The place might be good regardless....