• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In my neighborhood, there's a tiny Brazilian takeout place run by a husband and wife (she does the cooking, he mans the register). They have daily specials, and Saturday is feijoada day. The version that was presented to me last night was a huge portion of stew with black beans, pork, sausage, shredded collard greens, and BIG pieces of fat, served over rice. It came with toasted yucca flour (that had crispy pork in it) and orange pieces to go on top.

It was wonderful, except for the fat chunks, but since I'd never had it I'm wondering how authentic that version really is. What constitutes a "definitive" Brazilian feijoada?

The current issue of Saveur has an article about feijoada. It is not available online unfortunately.

The author says that there are regional differences in the ways the dish is prepared in Brazil, and that availability of ingredients and personal tastes also affect it. "The important thing is to use a variety of meats, salted, smoked, and fresh." But the basics are dried beef, smoked pork sausage like linguica or kielbasa, pig's tails, feet and ears, black (could be brown in northern Brazil) beans, pork loins and ribs. It is served with oranges, collard greens, and toasted manioc flour.

Anne E. McBride

....... It is served with oranges, collard greens, and toasted manioc flour.

While there are indeed many regional differences, white rice;steamed kale;orange (or some citrus fruit) and fried manioc flour are staple. The choice of meats and types of meat are pretty much regionally varied.

Edited by anil (log)

anil

I've had feijoada maybe half a dozen times in as many different establishments. All fairly "authentic" but never have I had it with big pieces of fat. I'm not saying that it is inauthentic, just that I've never had it that way in my limited experience.

What is the name of the place?

Oh, weird. I've had it there, but never with big hunks of fat.

That's what they seem to be, anyway. I have no idea as to what else they could be.

I like that place because the portions are huge. The $11.75 portion of feijoada could easily have fed three hungry people.

• 8 months later...
....... It is served with oranges, collard greens, and toasted manioc flour.

While there are indeed many regional differences, white rice;steamed kale;orange (or some citrus fruit) and fried manioc flour are staple. The choice of meats and types of meat are pretty much regionally varied.

And don't forget the black beans!!!