• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Hut in Japan

torakris

The Kids 4 is terrifying.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 4 weeks later...

That is so not fair that you can get eggplant without calling some super-premium place.

I would absolutely try the weird concotions liked corned beef. I would have a real meal for backup, but just as a conversation piece it's irresistable. That hot dog crust, on the other hand, is going to give me nightmares.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Kristine - great thread!

Wanted to contribute links to a few contenders from the other side of the East Sea / Sea of Japan:

"French" (allegedly Camembert) Pizza from Dominos

Ever-Popular Bulgogi Pizza, also from Domino's. Look about halfway down the page.

More Bulgogi Pizza, Papa's Pizza

From Pizza Hut, the "Texarkana" Pizza. Very top. What makes it "Texarkana"? High-quality kalbi steak and fresh celery, of course! Even more bulgogi pizza fifth from top.

"Sweety Pizza" with sweet potato and cheddar cheese on top, from Mr. Pizza. Even more bulgogi pizza! "Vageterian" too (hope that's not a Freudian thing).

O.K., there's nothing so marvelously weird as pizza with lattice pie crust, but you can't deny that they're trying.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Actually, that sounds good.

It's green peppers that really creep me out.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

We've tried the double crust one, with camembert, and it's good and cheesy.

Haven't tried the matsutake pizza from Strawberry Cones, but we used to order from them alot. Their 'Siciliano' is good- anchovies, black olives, garlic and fresh basil. Good ice cream too.

Problem is, since learning how to make our own pizzas, we feel really stupid ordering it. Even if we're too tired/lazy to make pizza, it just doesn't make sense spending 4000yen on delivery. So we haven't had pizza for a while...

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Problem is, since learning how to make our own pizzas, we feel really stupid ordering it. Even if we're too tired/lazy to make pizza, it just doesn't make sense spending 4000yen on delivery. So we haven't had pizza for a while...

Smallworld,

I know what you mean about the price, I wish they would lower the prices instead of sticking all the fancy toppings on!

With a family of 5 and a husband who can eat a large pizza by himself, we are looking at over $50 (\5000) just for pizza. Needless to say we make our own now and pizza delivery happens maybe once a year.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 weeks later...

Pizza Hut's newest:

The cheese ring!

"delicious all the way to the end of the crust"

In their newest the people at Pizza Hut are now putting the mozzarella all the way to the end of the crust, so it gets a "kongari" or toasted taste.

And if that wasn't enough, they are adding a ring of satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato) paste at the point where the crust meets the toppings. :blink:

http://www.pizzahut.jp/new/index.html

This thing about making the crust more and more cheesy has to reach its logical conclusion sometime - eliminating the pizza crust and replacing it with a cheese bottom. The can toast the cheese to the point where they have a nice "cheese koge" that won't turn to goo in your fingers. . .

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

• 1 month later...

Another flyer in my newspaper, this time for a place called Two Way Pizza and since it doesn't even deliver to my area I am not sure why I received it...... :blink:

Even if it was in my area I doubt I would order

They have what they are calling the "edge series", I think this is a take off on the sausage stuffed crust but theirs looks like a minced up formed into a roll was this really ever a meat product thing. AND they have a variety of flavors!! choose from:

pork edge

chicken edge

Chinese edge

Keema curry edge

hamburger edge

terichiki (teriyaki chicken?) edge

and if that wasn't enough you have a variety of sauces as well!

plain old boring pizza sauce

Genova sauce (pesto)

goma-dare sauce (sesame)

demi glace sauce

gourmet curry sauce

mapo sauce (like for mapodofu)

or there are even some sauceless ones

AND then there is my favorite

magarine sauce :blink:

homepage:

http://www.twowaypizza.co.jp/

Matsutake pizza...b-b-b-but I thought matsutake was famed for only releasing its wonderful scent in water?..So...what ELSE is in this topping? Evian?

We've given up ordering pizza, because the pizza delivery guy can never find our house. And of course, the rarer our orders, the less likely it is that they will ever figure out how to get here. After a mammoth 2.5 hour wait, I decided we could make a dozen pizzas in that time, and who said pizza dough needs to rise before baking anyway...

However, the rot has set in...the kids think mayo/pineapple/corn/nori is a perfectly good pizza, so I just make the base and let them have at it!

The newest pizza-la (Japanese chain pizza delivery) flyer is now advertising the start of delivery pasta with or instead of your pizza. They are offering 12 different kids of pastas at around $10 for a single order (one person) and up to $22 for a double order (2 to 3 people).

There is no information on their website, maybe this is a trial in my area?

I wonder if this will be the start of something new, cold, gummy pasta with your corn and mayo pizza.... :blink::biggrin:

The newest pizza-la (Japanese chain pizza delivery) flyer is now advertising the start of delivery pasta with or instead of your pizza. They are offering 12 different kids of pastas at around $10 for a single order (one person) and up to $22  for a double order (2 to 3 people).

There is no information on their website, maybe this is a trial in my area?

I wonder if this will be the start of something new, cold, gummy pasta with your corn and mayo pizza.... :blink:  :biggrin:

Knowing what Pizza-La toppings are on their Pizzas are I am eager to see their pasta offerings.

Squid sliced as spagetti is pretty common in Japan, they must offer that with a Squid Ink Sauce with natto, nori and shaved tofu topping.

Knowing what Pizza-La toppings are on their Pizzas are I am eager to see their pasta offerings.

I have to admit until I discovered two way pizza (post about it above somewhere), i thought pizza-la had the most disgusting offerings, so I was quite surprised that their pizza sounds half way decent (of course I haven't tried it! :biggrin: )

Since they are not on their homepage, I will share them with you:

linguine with shrimp and clams butter and soy sauce

all the rest use spaghetti

tarako, nori and scallions

neopolitan (with sausage, onion, green peppers and mushrooms)

clam and takana (a Japanese green) with smoked bacon, scallions, shiitake and nori

shrimp, squid and clams in a tomato-basil sauce

deep fried eggplant and smoked bacon in a tomato-basil sauce

smoked bacon and asparagus in a chile and garlic sauce

squid, shrimp, and clams in a chile and garlic sauce

squid, shrimp and clams in a pesto sauce

squid, shrimp and clams with a cream sauce

deep fried eggplant and a meat sauce

meat sauce with mushrooms

Nori? On Pasta?

I actually had shiitake with Pasta on several occassions. I actually consider Shiitake (the quality one you can get in Japan, not the poor substitute available in the US) the worlds most versatile mushroom and I feel very comfortable adding it to quite a few dishes where the recipe does not call for it and the dish in my view gets enhanced.

Some of the other "toppings" are what I expected.

• 4 months later...

The newest flyer for Dominos announces the start of their pasta menu, maybe this is the new trend at Japanese pizza chains.

They also have a new pizza that looks really good, they recommend it as a half and half pizza though I am sure you could just get a whole pizza of which ever you prefer...

One side is called saffron and mussels with a tomato sauce and a saffron sauce along with mussels, zucchini, diced tomates, garlic and black olives, the other side is called habanero and lobster with a habanero sauce, lobster, baby lobster, shrimp and bell peppers.

here is their homepage:

http://www.dominos.jp/

they will flash info about the new pizza in the main screen but to see it more closely click on the picture of the pizza (at the top of the four pictures) on the right side of the screen.

To see their pasta menu just click on pasta menu at the top, all of the pastas are written in English including the incredibly delicious sounding " squid and cod ovum in cream sauce"....... :blink:

• 3 months later...

This isn't about pizza, but on the related topic of Italian food in Japan. I've started a thread in the Hawai`i forum about two restaurants in Honolulu - an Italian-Japanese one and an Italian-Chinese one:

Angelo Pietro and Kit n' Kitchen

. . . wherein we explore the mysteries of the spaghetti napolitan, gratin, doria. However, I will haven't really been able to figure out the origins of these Japanese adaptations of Italian foods. Any comments / insights / relation of personal encounters with such foods would be appreciated!

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host