• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Hut in Japan

torakris

Seafood pizza with mayo?

Oh, you mean okonomiyaki.

Just showed the pictures to Japanese bf, whose only comment was "you shouldn't think of it as pizza." I still don't want to eat it, but it makes a little more sense that way perhaps.

I just realized my original post's link didn't actually show the page I wanted, I changed the link up there but I will add it here as well:

http://www.pizzahut.jp/new/new.html

So theres a hot dog inside the crust?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've not only seen this pizza, but had to talk my husband out of ordering it!

Pizza Hut is actually the best pizza delivery chain in Japan, in our opinion. They introduced their cheese-filled crust last year, which I guess was so popular that it inspired the sausage crust.

I really like the cheese crust (I feel like I should be ashamed to admit this!). The crust part is so similar to a panzarotti, something I've never seen in Japan and really miss. So it's almost like getting a pizza AND a panzarotto AT THE SAME TIME??? Who wouldn't like that?

Our favoruite Pizza Hut pizzas are the Sicilian pizza, with eggplant (on the thin crust) and Meat Gourmet, with, well, lots of meat (on the cheese crust).

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Bacon, anchovies, tuna, and onion are NORDIC?!?!?!? Okay, lutefisk I could see, but these??? :unsure:

And Pizza Hut is owned by KFC, at least in Japan? Who knew?

Ah well, I'm sure many Japanese would be aghast at what passes here for sushi. :rolleyes:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

yea, i liked pizza hut in hong kong, though that was 10 years ago. i would expect their japanese branches to be pretty good as well.

much better than pizza hut stateside.

i think they the big conglomerates put much more effort into their locations abroad.

or maybe it's better b/c it's not seen as lowly a job for the help as it is in the US.

I've been to KFC, Popeye's, Dunkin Donuts, McDonald's in China.

Sorry for the tangent.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Where can I buy a big round hotdog like that? I can think of many uses.

Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC, A&W, and Long John Silvers are all owned by YUM Brands (NYSE: YUM) of Louisville, KT.

plus the recently added Yan Can (casual/fast food fusion by Martin Yan)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

Just got the newest flyer from pizza hut in today's newspaper.

The newest pizza:

potato and corned beef!

with:

cubed potato

corned beef (canned)

asparagus

red bell pepper

black pepper

mayo

they advertise it as a perfect match with the sausage crust! :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Kristin, that goes beyond being just disgusting into being so hilarious I might even bite into a slice. :blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 4 weeks later...

OK, it isn't Pizza Hut, but this sems to be a general pizza in Japan thread now................

the latest pizza flyer in my newspaper was for Pizza-La's (Japanese chain) newest:

Ebi-mayo (shrimp and mayo) consisting of shrimp fritters, fresh diced tomato, shoulder bacon, corn, onion, parsley and topped with a garlic-mayo sauce, but not just that instead of regular tomato sauce, the base is aurora sauce, which is made from ketchup, mayo, tomato paste, chutney and spices.

gotta give this one a try! :wacko:

gotta give this one a try! :wacko:

No. You don't have to. You really don't.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Fevered brains in bottles in the secret city underneath Tokyo.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just found a new Pizza Hut flyer in my door and it seems the sausage crust is gone forever.

The new thing is the "herb rich" crust, a regular crust infused with basil, oregano and garlic and two new pizzas to go with it:

Three tomatoes

--sundried tomatoes, Italian tomatoes, "fresh" tomatoes and basil

Chicken Caponata

--tomato sauce simmered chicken, eggplant, red pepper and onion

Then there is the new pizza just for kids!

the kids 4, with 4 pizzas combined into one, each covers 1/4 of the pizza

BBQ chicken-- BBQ chicken, onion, mushrooms

Idaho Special-- potato, bacon, onion, parsley, black pepper, mayo

Tamago corn-- scrambled eggs, corn, onions, potato, parsley

Hawaiian-- ham, pineapple, onion, corn

picture:

http://www.pizzahut.jp/new/index.html

the three tomatoes with the herb rich crust, scroll down to see the kids 4