• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Hut in Japan

torakris

Thanks for the welcome torakris! I promise to post our weird korean pizzas when I get the chance. I do envy you for living in the land where I have dreamed of dining (I love japanese cuisine!).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

• 3 weeks later...

Well the results are the Pizza Hut topping contest are in!

I wasn't even aware they had a topping contest until I received the flyer that announced the winners. Apparently they asked 7000 pizza lovers and from the more than 200 suggestions they received chose the following 2 winners.

Spicy Meat Sauce Pizza

with

special meat sauce

green chile sauce

onions

peppers

mushrooms

red bell peppers

tomato slices

Gratin Pizza

with

creamy gratin sauce

shrimp

bacon

mushrooms

onions

corn

black pepper

parsley

parmesan cheese

If you can't decide between the two, don't worry they are also available as a half and half pizza!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 months later...

Want some maple syrup with your pizza? The newest from Pizza Hut includes a pack of honey maple syrup.... Instead of a regular crust the new Cheesy Roll Pizza consists of little cheese filled rolls surrounding the pizza. The rolls include mozarella, cheddar and parmasean cheeses, complete witha pack of maple syrup for drizzling.

of course I would include a picture!

Want some maple syrup with your pizza? The newest from Pizza Hut includes a pack of honey maple syrup.... Instead of a regular crust the new Cheesy Roll Pizza consists of little cheese filled rolls surrounding the pizza. The rolls include mozarella, cheddar and parmasean cheeses, complete witha pack of maple syrup for drizzling.

of course I would include a picture!

The little rolls are kind of neat, but where did the idea for including maple syrup come from. (a genuine Canadian product I deduce from the red maple leaf emblem)

What else do they use maple syrup for in Japan?

SB (and what is the little kid in the circle saying?) :huh:

The little rolls are kind of neat, but where did the idea for including maple syrup come from.  (a genuine Canadian product I deduce from the red maple leaf emblem)

It's not necessarily Canadian syrup. And because it's "honey maple" syrup, I doubt there's much maple syrup in there, anyway.

What else do they use maple syrup for in Japan?

I've only seen it used for sweet things like cakes and cookies. I once suggested making a sauce for ham with it, or glazing carrots, and people looked at me as though I were crazy.

SB (and what is the little kid in the circle saying?) :huh:

"Sweeeeeeeeeet mouthful!"

I'd try it if it came with better toppings. The top one is crab/shrimp/mayo (with corn, onion, and broccoli), the bottom one is demiglace beef (with demiglace sauce, onion, mushroom, beef, broccoli, and red peppers). I think it would be just as good with a simple pepperoni and pineapple combo (or even better!).

Kris - the cheesy roll pizza craze has hit Korea, too. Only they combine mashed yams/sweet taters witht he cheese in the roll. *gag*. It was not an experience me and my family would like to repeat. We had to throw away the rolls and eat the inner pizza portion. The yam/cheese roll was awful.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I found a new Domino's flyer in my newspaper this morning.

The new Cheese Melt pizza

3 layers with either a bolognese sauce or a seafood sauce

The bottom layer has camembert cheese and a cheese mix with either sauce

The middle layer has mozarella cheese and a cheese mix as well as either sauce

The top layer has cream cheese and natural cheese and black pepper on the seafood one and parsley on the bolognese one

• 8 months later...

The newest from Pizza Hut just doesn't sound appetizing to me.

Only available this winter! The Winter Double King Pizza

This crust contains little detachable pieces of bread that are filled with what I can only describe as a shrimp sausage that in turn is filled with mayonnaise. The pizza itself is a half and half, the first half is called 'Crab Shrimp Mayo King' with crab, shrimp, mayo broccoli, onion and corn. The second half is called 'Demiglace King' and consists of a demi glace sauce, slow simmered beef chunks, soft scrambled eggs, diced potatoes, broccoli and onion.

Pizza Hut seems to be experimenting with different sauces, the menu.

first row, second pizza:

Mochi potato mentaiko pizza with a mentaiko based sauce and shrimp, potatoes, tteok (Korean mochi), onion, corn, mayo and nori (sea laver)

first row, third pizza:

Mochi Shrimp Chili pizza with a shrimp-chile sauce and shrimp, tteok (Korean mochi), garlic stems and onion

If they weren't so expensive I might actually give that second one a try. :biggrin:

I haven't received any flyers from Domino's recently so I decided to check out their website.

WOW!

The Cheese Ristorante Pizza

A full course ristorante style meal on a pizza

The pizza is divided in 4 sections:

1.香味わさびソース、ローストビーフ、ゴーダチーズ、オニオン

1. wasabi sauce, roast beef, gouda cheese and onions

2.バジルソース、ローストチキン、カマンベールチーズ、パセリ、オニオン

2. basil sauce, roast chicken, camembert cheese. parsley and onions

3.ホワイトソース、スモークサーモン、モッツァレラチーズ、マッシュルーム

3. white sauce, smoked salmon, mozzarella cheese and mushrooms

4.ホワイトソース、ホタテ、パルメザンチーズ、ブロッコリー

4. white sauce, scallops. parmigiano cheese, broccoli

Since the pizza is sent uncut, they will also send you a pizza cutter

This now led me to check out Pizza-La

Continuing in the winter theme they are offering Gratin Pizza with a special gratin sauce, thick cut bacon, marinated chicken, penne, corn, (imported from Italy) mozzarella, Italian parsley, olive oil (to be drizzled on before eating) and a mayo sauce. Plus 5 unmentioned cheeses....

The rest of their menu, in English

• 8 months later...

Last week I had a flyer in my newspaper for Two Way Pizza, which doesn't even deliver to my neighborhood so I am unsure as to why I even recieved it. Their special summer pizza is the Loco Moco pizza, take a look here (you may have to scroll down), with onion, tomato, demi glace hamburger patty, demi glace mayo, as well as a soft boiled egg and lettuce that you add before eating.

As I have never eaten from this place I am not sure but it says the the sauce base is a margarine sauce. :blink: Other pizzas list pizza sauce as the base so I am really unclear as to what a margarine sauce is...

Until the end of September there is a coupon for half off the loco moco pizza so the large pizza is only 2050 yen ($19) instead of 4100 yen ($38).

Last week I had a flyer in my newspaper for Two Way Pizza, which doesn't even deliver to my neighborhood so I am unsure as to why I even recieved it.  Their special summer pizza is the Loco Moco pizza, take a look here (you may have to scroll down), with onion, tomato, demi glace hamburger patty, demi glace mayo, as well as a soft boiled egg and lettuce that you add before eating.

As I have never eaten from this place I am not sure but it says the the sauce base is a margarine sauce. :blink: Other pizzas list pizza sauce as the base so I am really unclear as to what a margarine sauce is...

Until the end of September there is a coupon for half off the loco moco pizza so the large pizza is only 2050 yen ($19) instead of 4100 yen ($38).

Wow, with a description like that ( :blink: ) and a 50 percent-off coupon, I would order one just for the adventure!

I have to admit that the odd variations of Japanese pizza have caused me to change my thoughts on pizza toppings. Tonight it was ricotta, roasted garlic, a ton of fresh oregano, mozzarella and feta cheese, cooked and then topped with a cold tossed salad and ranch dressing. Strange but delicious! (My daughter asked me to duplicate something that she had at camp called a "greek salad pizza" and this was the best that I could do with ingredients at hand).

Also I made the crust last night in my Zo bread machine, using the recipe that comes with it for "flat beer pizza crust". I put the dough in the fridge overnight, and then rolled it out tonight and let it rise. Cooked at 485F on a stone using parchment. So easy, and so good!

Also I have to confess to putting Kewpie on pizza from time to time. I just love that stuff . . . . :wub:

Also I have to confess to putting Kewpie on pizza from time to time. I just love that stuff . . . . wub.gif

Let's face it, Kewpie goes on everything.

I have a flyer from Dominoes sitting on my fridge right now, advertising their new Bibimbap pizza, which comes with a side dish of bibimbap toppings - pickled radish, bean sprouts, and fern brake, presumably to be sprinkled on the top and eaten. I've heard of bulgogi pizza before (always a hit in Korea), but bibimbap pizza is taking that to a whole new level. I was diappointed to find when I moved to Japan, that they do not include a little packet of sweet pickles with pizza, as they do in Korea. I was told it helped cut the greasiness of the pizza, and I got quite attached to having them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...