• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Hut in Japan

torakris

There should be a law against this (I'm sure there is in Naples)

Can't help laying the blame at the door of a certain nation who will remain nameless though.

Pizza = Tomatoes, Mozzarella, Basil leaves (optional) grind of black pepper, drizzle of olive oil, presented on a thin slightly crispy base.

The simplest of foods bastardised beyond belief.

Deep dish :wacko:

Anything with pineapple :wacko:

Can the guilty please stand up where we can see you. :biggrin:

I opened my newspaper today and a Pizza Hut flyer flew out advertising their NEW pizza crust:

sausage stuffed! :shock:

I started the this thread with the above post and now yesterday (almost 3 years later) I am in possesion of Pizza Hut's latest flyer.

They have taken the sausage stuffed crust to a new level! Now the sausage in the crust is left partly exposed that that it gets "crunchier", and if that wasn't enough they have also added a layer of cheese and bacon under the sausage! :shock:

Check it out here!

Oh. My. :shock::blink:

It's like Extreme Cocktail Wieners masquerading as pizza crust. At least Japanese pizzas tend to be on the small side (or so I hear)... so you wouldn't do so much damage to your arteries....

Jennie

Bastardized? It's simply a different food and should be considered on its own merits. If there we laws againt "bastardizing" foods, then there would little incentive to be creative. Homogeneity in food is not necessarily a good thing.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Bastardized? It's simply a different food and should be considered on its own merits. If there we laws againt "bastardizing" foods, then there would little incentive to be creative. Homogeneity in food is not necessarily a good thing.

I fully endorse what your saying, however, there are certain dishes that should be 'ring fenced' from these alleged 'creators', the noble pizza being one of them.

Creativity in food is a highly subjective issue and it's different stokes etc, nevertheless the 'art' of pizza creation is no more now than slopping on any topping that comes to mind on to bases of wildly varying quality with a few crust tricks from the corporate players.

The simple pizza is a beautiful thing - LEAVE IT ALONE :angry:

Edited by Mike Hunt (log)

I fully endorse what your saying, however, there are certain dishes that should be 'ring fenced' from these alleged 'creators', the noble pizza being one of them.

Sorry, but food is always open to interpretation. I would only be worried if Pizza Hut were endangering the existence of true authentic Italian pizza. As it is, the authentic goods will continue to exist and be respected and enjoyed by people who care.

Believe me, I like my pizza as straight as possible, but I certainly don't confuse fast food pizza with the real thing, nor Japanese Pizza Hut with the authentic Italian version. IMO, this conversation (authentic vs. "bastardized" food) does not belong in this thread.

Edited by sanrensho (log)

Creativity in food is a highly subjective issue and it's different stokes etc, nevertheless the 'art' of pizza creation is no more now than slopping on any topping that comes to mind on to bases of wildly varying quality with a few crust tricks from the corporate players.

The simple pizza is a beautiful thing - LEAVE IT ALONE :angry:

Maybe it would help if we called it ピザ instead, which would be pronounced pee-zah, thus circumventing the argument over whether it is Admissible as Pizza.

To stay on topic, I am presently eating a piece of ピザ that might go over well in Japan - garlic butter, shrimp, imitation crab meat, mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes - all it needs is mayo and salmon roe, don't you think? It came from the Turkish pizza place downtown, and it's delicious.

Jennie

Of COURSE you should bastardize, experiment, and twist and turn original dishes into new ones -- if the original dish had anything good going for it, it will survive on its own merit.

Besides, I'm not at all sure that the Margherita was the first and original pizza anyhow... I thought it more or less started out with anchovies... I like thin crusted Margheritas, anchovies -- and that ingenious California Pizza Kitchen's Caramelized Pear & Blue Cheese pizza.

Conversely, while I strongly doubt that the California-style Extra Spicy Crispy Rainbow Dream Roll with #7 Magic Sauce qualifies as authentic sushi, that doesn't inherently make it bad eats -- nor should it prevent anyone from enjoying more traditional, original sushi.

This reminds me of one of Gary Larson's Far Side cartoons: a bunch of cavemen are sitting around a fire, trying to cook pieces of meat by holding them over the fire -- with their hands. They're obviously in great pain since their hands are being burned... Off to the side, there's another fire, and a solitary, nerdy looking caveman using a stick to hold his meat over the fire. The other cavemen are belittling him for not sticking to the authentic, original recipe... :smile:

The deep pan (read sponge) with pineapple and ham/prawn.

The creator of this should be made to eat one. :wacko:

The Pizza began as a garnished flat bread sold by

roaming vendors to the poor in the streets of 18th century

Naples.

The biggest step towards its present-day

'creation' was the acceptance of the tomato by the

Neapolitans, and the subsequent use of its flesh as pizza

topping.

The addition of mozzarella and basil was a nod towards the

Italian flag and some old queens called Maggie and Rita.

Ok, I made the last bit up :rolleyes:

This is a rather amusing argument. I have to admit, I agree with sanrensho. I respect the authentic style of pizza, but people will change foods to better suit their tastes. Things are often borrowed from one cuisine and used by another.

I mean....how would Italian food be if Italians hadn't adopted the tomato (which is from the Americas) into their cuisine? Surely, not everyone took to it right away, but now, most people couldn't picture Italian cuisine without it (although, tomato use varies from region to region).

I'm not saying to abandon tradition, but rather, realistically accept that many people will eat so-called "bastardized" versions, and don't really care whether it's traditional or not. They're simply looking for something that appeals to them.

Even sushi has undergone changes throughout the years. I'm sure some are glad they're not stuck with narezushi (an older form of sushi, which is quite different from modern sushi).

I'm not saying to abandon tradition, but rather, realistically accept that many people will eat so-called "bastardized" versions, and don't really care whether it's traditional or not. They're simply looking for something that appeals to them.

You could hardly call it pizza though.

Please refer to the abomination with the fish roe.

If someone can truely say with all conviction that what they are eating is the highly developed result of pizza evolution I will stand up and applaud them loudly.

Keep it simple, keep it real.

You could hardly call it pizza though.

Please refer to the abomination with the fish roe.

If someone can truely say with all conviction that what they are eating is the highly developed result of pizza evolution I will stand up and applaud them loudly.

Keep it simple, keep it real.

Don't knock it until you've tried it!

I am not a fan of most Japanese pizzas but that cod roe one was really good.

I am sure many Japanese would cringe at what some American have done to sushi.

I just received the new Domino's flyer today and they new spring pizza looks interesting.

Asparagus and shrimp with an avocado sauce

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

The ikura (cod roe) pizza definitely looks intriguing. This sounds like a winning combination with the saltiness of the ikura in place of, say, anchovies, combined with the putsu putsu quality of ikura as they burst in your mouth.

• 5 months later...

From a trip to Shakey's sometime last year, when uploading photos was a still a big mystery!

Crab pizza. There was a "Crab Fair" going on. I actually really liked the toppings, but the crust was a little too chewy for me.

gallery_31440_3297_203625.jpg

Taco Rice. A typical accompaniment to Japanese pizza? The meat on top of the white rice was ground beef flavored like taco beef.

gallery_31440_3297_39223.jpg

The ikura (cod roe) pizza definitely looks intriguing. This sounds like a winning combination with the saltiness of the ikura in place of, say, anchovies, combined with the putsu putsu quality of ikura as they burst in your mouth.

I thought ikura was salmon roe. (?)

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

New in from Pizza-La :

The Ebi-Mayo Bingo

Frankfurters, Eggplants, Salami, Shrimp and Teriyaki Chicken, all slathered in Mayo. :hmmm:

Big fan of some Japanese pizza though; the Korean Barbeque one that Pizza Hut do here is fantastic. I've eaten that until I'm in serious, serious pain on several occassions...

New in from Pizza-La :

The Ebi-Mayo Bingo

Frankfurters, Eggplants, Salami, Shrimp and Teriyaki Chicken, all slathered in Mayo.  :hmmm:

Big fan of some Japanese pizza though; the Korean Barbeque one that Pizza Hut do here is fantastic. I've eaten that until I'm in serious, serious pain on several occassions...

Pizza-La--I've never had any good pizzas from Pizza-La, and that includes their basic cheese!

I do like the Korean BBQ one from pizza hut, on occasion, but I usually stick with basic pizza with pepperoni and pineapple.

I'm in Nishinomiya, too, btw! Maybe we share the same pizza places!

Potato on pizza is an italian thing. I've eaten it in italy numerous times, and not at japanese pizza places either!

There's a place here in Ireland that serves potato pizza. A little over-filling, but good (with Tallegio cheese). I was surprised to see it, as I'd never seen it outside Italy.

New in from Pizza-La :

The Ebi-Mayo Bingo

Frankfurters, Eggplants, Salami, Shrimp and Teriyaki Chicken, all slathered in Mayo.  :hmmm:

Pizza-La--I've never had any good pizzas from Pizza-La, and that includes their basic cheese!

I do like the Korean BBQ one from pizza hut, on occasion, but I usually stick with basic pizza with pepperoni and pineapple.

I agree with everything Rona just said!

Pizza-La is definitely the worst pizza I have had here.

I too am a fan of the Korean BBQ pizza but tend to prefer it a little more simple, pepperoni and pineapple is a match made in heaven. :biggrin:

By the way, I just received the new Pizza Hut flyer and it looks like they have brought the salmon and ikura pizza back again this fall.

Potato on pizza is an italian thing.  I've eaten it in italy numerous times, and not at japanese pizza places either!

There's a place here in Ireland that serves potato pizza.  A little over-filling, but good (with Tallegio cheese).  I was surprised to see it, as I'd never seen it outside Italy.

I've had very good pizza with potatoes in Japan at Italian restaurants (complete with wood-fired ovens). It was most common with gorgonzola pizza. Actually, I don't think I've seen it with any other kind of pizza (at the traditional Italian places, anyway. Pizza Hut...well...that's another story!).

I'm in Nishinomiya, too, btw!  Maybe we share the same pizza places!

Usually we hit up the pizza hut in Suzurandai, actually; a bunch of us get together every month or so when they do the half-price sale thing. Otherwise take out pizza is just mind-bogglingly expensive over here...

A lot of love for the Costco pizza as well. So many toppings, so much cheese...

Please don't get me started on korean pizzas. Ever had pizza with pineapple, dates and maraschino cherries along with the meat and cheese? Not to mention, the ever present canned corn, chewy wood mushrooms, and pseudo-tomato sauce. *shudder*

My kids like the korean potato pizza (not the sweet potato but the real spud) with bacon on top. I admit it is quite good but the makers always include corn (even though I tell them in my passable korean to NOT INCLUDE IT!). Sigh, at least we got Papa John's pizza here.

Oh, in Korea, pizza is always served with slices of pickles. Eh?

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Please don't get me started on korean pizzas. Ever had pizza with pineapple, dates and maraschino cherries along with the meat and cheese? Not to mention, the ever present canned corn, chewy wood mushrooms, and pseudo-tomato sauce. *shudder*

My kids like the korean potato pizza (not the sweet potato but the real spud) with bacon on top. I admit it is quite good but the makers always include corn (even though I tell them in my passable korean to NOT INCLUDE IT!). Sigh, at least we got Papa John's pizza here.

Oh, in Korea, pizza is always served with slices of pickles. Eh?

Domestic Goddess,

Welcome to the eGullet and the Japan forum!

pineapple, dates and maraschino cherries on pizza??? and I though we had it bad in Japan sometimes...