• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Hut in Japan

torakris

• 3 months later...

The latest flyer from Pizza Hut announces their new cheese fondue pizza!

with a creamy cheese sauce instead of the more common tomato sauce, topping including are broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, whole mushrooms pearl onions and steamed chicken, they also have a seafood version.

http://www.pizzahut.jp/menu/

and I can't find any mention of it at the website but my flyers also announce their new rice dishes, paella and taco rice....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...

What's up with pizza and the Christmas season? Did I miss something? is chicken on its way out.....?

At Costco yesteray (Christmas Eve) there were hordes of people filling their carts with pizzas to go along with their Christmas cakes and when I came there was a flyer from Pizza Hut in my door and this morning's newpaper had flyer's from both Dominos and Pizza-La....

and on a similar note yesterday I saw a Pizza-La delivery kid on his scooter wearing a Santa Claus outfit. Wish I had had my camera. :biggrin:

most food in Japan is delivered by scooter, they look something like this:

http://zephyr550.fc2web.com/0101gyrocawc200206.jpg

What is the most popular combination in Japan? I would imagine anything with corn and mayo should be popular.... I like the sicilian on the site and wish they offer eggplant in the local pizza hut.

I remember the seafood pizza in Hong Kong had some kind of thousand island sauce on it, it was so good. :smile:

What is the most popular combination in Japan? I would imagine anything with corn and mayo should be popular....

good question!

I tried doing searches of pizza rankings and couldn't seem to pull up anything, I tried looking at a couple homepages as well but still nothing. I did find this though:

http://www.pizza-la.co.jp/menu_e/menu110_pub.html

Pizza-La now has a menu completely in English! :biggrin:

As for favorites I would probably say something with mayo as well, just because they don't seem to be disappearing....

So, anyone care to enlighten me about acceptable pizzas?  I'm clueless.

I think it's the gimmicks and the special additions to these pizzas that are grossing folks out. A normal pizza in America is just tomato sauce, cheese, and herbs, topped on a nice thin crust.

Here are some pizza threads from the NYC forum. I think they might explain what New Yorkers (at least) like about pizza. That last thread is the NYC Pizza Survey, and has some great pics.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=57777

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=55403

NYC Pizza Survey

Stuffed crust pizza: it's a good idea if you like overloaded, cheesy pizza. But, it's out of the ordinary, and (in my opinion) unnecessary if the pizza itself is tasty.

Mayo and corn on pizza: now, that doesn't gross me out. I had some corn, mayo, and tuna buns when I was in Tokyo and I LOVED them. But, corn, tuna, and mayo on a pizza is out of the ordinary, and again, that would freak American pizza-lovers out. If I were in Japan, I'd probably try out the pizza if someone ordered it--and, I'd probably like it. But, I'd never order it on my own, just because I have different expectations for pizza (plain cheese, thin crust, etc.), and it wouldn't satisfy any cravings I might have.

I hope that helped in answering your question. :smile:

Thanks, Pumkin Lover!! Surely the most informative reply I have ever received here on eGullet!

The enthusiasm that some of you guys have for pizza reminds me of ramen lovers here in Japan.

I have done some google searches and found several interesting sites:

http://www.epiphanycorp.com/resource/eat/pizza.html

http://greggman.com/japan/pizza.htm

http://www.n-dricom.co.jp/dnk/05_japan/jap...10_japan01.html

But, I must say that I am not yet fully satisfied. Maybe this topic deserves a thread of its own. How about the title "Uses of Corn in Japan"?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sunday's paper had a flyer for the newest fall flavor from Domino's:

smoked salmon, ikura (salmon roe), cream cheese and fresh basil

It was just too interesting to pass up. :biggrin:

We ordered the Fall half and half special with the salmon on one side and Domino's deluxe on the other.

gallery_6134_1003_42509.jpg

a close-up :biggrin:

gallery_6134_1003_12921.jpg

This was actually really good, both my husband and I were really surprised at how good ikura are on pizza...

The husband creature says he'd actually try that ikura pizza.

I'm more of a pepperoni, sausage, olive, zucchini, artichoke heart and fresh garlic pizza kind of gal. I'm not a big fan of shellfish or fish with cheese, so putting them on pizza doesn't sound good to me.

Cheryl

I'm not a big fan of shellfish or fish with cheese, so putting them on pizza doesn't sound good to me.

Upon actually thinking about that for a moment, I would normally have to agree with you with no cheese on seafood. Rarely have I tasted good seafood and cheese combinations, but oddly enough, those negative thoughts don't come up when thinking of pizza.

I'm still trying to figure out why that is though.

• 1 month later...

I came home last night to find the latest Pizza Hut flyer in my mailbox, they have a new shrimp and crab pizza which isn't too out of the ordinary but it was their Black Truffle and Turkey pizza that caught my eye.

Black Truffle and Turkey pizza (in the back)

It consists of a pizza made with a black truffle sauce and topped with turkey, asparagus, mushrooms, onions, chestnuts, dried cranberries and mayonnaise

:shock::shock::shock:

• 2 months later...

I guess Japanese pizza consumers have a really hard time deciding on pizza toppings, Pizza Hut now has a new pizza called Nainzu (Nines) that is nine mini pizzas in one!

The topping are decided for you but there is a lot of variation including 3 with tomato sauce, 3 with a garlic sauce and 3 with a mayonnaise sauce.

There is no information yet on their website, but here is the press release.

I guess Japanese pizza consumers have a really hard time deciding on pizza toppings, Pizza Hut now has a new pizza called Nainzu (Nines) that is nine mini pizzas in one!

The topping are decided for you but there is a lot of variation including 3 with tomato sauce, 3 with a garlic sauce and 3 with a mayonnaise sauce.

There is no information yet on their website, but here is the press release.

I almost ordered that last week. I thought it would be a good way to try all those toppings I'm sort of afraid of. But then I realized I was scared of most of those toppings, so there was a great chance I'd not like most of the pizza. Perhaps in my next life, I'll be more adventurous!

• 1 month later...
I opened my newspaper today and a Pizza Hut flyer flew out advertising their NEW pizza crust:

sausage stuffed! :shock:

I started the this thread with the above post and now yesterday (almost 3 years later) I am in possesion of Pizza Hut's latest flyer.

They have taken the sausage stuffed crust to a new level! Now the sausage in the crust is left partly exposed that that it gets "crunchier", and if that wasn't enough they have also added a layer of cheese and bacon under the sausage! :shock:

Check it out here!