• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dupont Farmer's Market

hjshorter

It's time to start our biweekly treks from the 'burbs to the Dupont Freshfarm Market. There may be better markets in the area, but this one is in our old neighborhood and I like buying from the same folks from year to year. There's a farmer's market in Rockville that we could go to, but it's not organic.

Anyway, would anyone be up for a little e-Gullet meeting with us one fine Sunday morning? Coffee and a scone from Firehook, check out the early spring produce, peruse a few cookbooks at Kramerbooks...

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

YES. Name the Sunday and I'm there. I usually visit the Takoma market in my own little 'burb but I love visiting Dupont periodically. Nobody else has McLean butter or Sunnyside Farm eggs. :wub:

I used to live around the corner from that market. I miss those days sometimes!

YES. Name the Sunday and I'm there. I usually visit the Takoma market in my own little 'burb but I love visiting Dupont periodically. Nobody else has McLean butter or Sunnyside Farm eggs.  :wub:

Or Polyface Farm meat, or Country Pleasures Farm Sour Cherry Jam :wub: and the best tomatoes.

I used to live around the corner from that market. I miss those days sometimes!

I did too, and I miss it. Dupont is pretty this time of year, with all of the flowers blooming. Maybe next Sunday we could meet up? We will be with kids. Emma loves to go and sample all the fruits and veggies.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Sounds like fun to me. Anybody else? Also what time would you want to meet up, and where? I usually try to get through the market quickly right when it opens so I can snap up any scarce goodies. Then I take my time going through it again, or stop for breakfast before doing the serious shopping.

Sounds like fun to me. Anybody else? Also what time would you want to meet up, and where? I usually try to get through the market quickly right when it opens so I can snap up any scarce goodies. Then I take my time going through it again, or stop for breakfast before doing the serious shopping.

Me too. I like to get there right at 9, before the tourists from the 'burbs show up. :wink: Go through once, buy eggs (they sell out fast), see who has the best stuff, then go back and shop.

In front of the Q St Metro entrance would be an easy meeting place.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Sounds good to me. It'll be worth dragging my ass out of bed after Saturday night at work if there are some fellow food geeks there.

We don't count as tourists from the burbs. We're honorary Dupont residents. We lived there back when it was affordable! :raz:

Big thanks to Malawry and her partner for joining me at the market and for coffee afterwards. There's not a whole lot there yet, but I did score some baby kale to saute for dinner, radishes, baby greens for salad, excellent butter and two dozen eggs. I was thwarted in my quest for beets - none to be had anywhere.

There are far more vendors selling things other than produce this year - soap, flowers, cheese, jam, baked goods, etc. Good as those things are, I look forward to seeing more green stuff as the season progresses.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Yes, the proliferation of non-fresh food products and non-food products seems to be getting greater both at the Dupont market and at my neighborhood Takoma market. I was surprised by how much there was when I visited Arlington's market a year ago but I think I'd just not been noticing it at the more familiar markets. Is this the only way for a farm stand to make a go of it when the produce can't yet be the star?

I picked up some lovely red potatoes during our stroll with the Shorter lady, which we roasted as part of last night's dinner. Mmm. I look forward to future jaunts. This time of year is so exciting at the farm market, every week there's something new. I dreamt last night of finding asparagus and getting all excited about it. Too bad asparagus is a few weeks away still.

Thanks Hjshorter for suggesting the trip. :raz:

Sorry I was unable to make it. I look forward to meeting you guys for a spin around the market a little later in the summer when more is out.

Ramps should be coming in a couple of weeks, no?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I will definitely be up for it. The farm market is a weekly priority for me. I'm very serious about cooking based on what I buy there, and plan menus around what appears at my favorite stalls.

Vengroff, I've been shopping area markets for a few years and have never seen ramps. FWIW I think ramps are nearing the end of their season anyway. If y'want them, you may have to schlep out to WVa and pick them yourself. And if you ever see them for sale you better come here and tell eGullet so we can go fleece any commercially available supplies. :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to come but probably can't make it this weekend, alas. I'll let you know if that changes though! It is about time to schlep downtown again. This time of year at the market is wonderful, new goodies show up every week. I've got my fingers crossed for fresh English peas this Sunday in Takoma (which is easier for me to get to).

• 4 months later...

Anybody up for a jaunt this Sunday? It's nearing the end of peak season, folks, tons of heirloom tomatoes and riches of cukes and zukes competing with the first early fall crops like butternut squash.