• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Last Meal

People - our wine glass icon for the PAC NW is almost empty - we need to get something going here!!!!!

If you could choose your last meal, what would it be?

The Rules:

You may have up to ten courses

Courses can be from different places or homemade

You must include at least one item from a Pac NW restaurant or a local ingredient (so that we can keep this on our board)

No Spam - or you'll be fired (unless you are originally from Hawaii)

:biggrin:

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster

Excellent inquiry Scrat... ok, this one is hard.... but here's a start for me... possible revisions to come....

1. salad course: Blue Salad from Blue Onion Bistro with extra blue cheese, of course.

2. grease course: Onion rings from Red Mill Burger.

3. soup course: Tripe pho from the pho place at the Great Wall Mall.

4. mushroom course: Oregon morels, roasted with a finish drizzle of a really fantastic balsamic vinegar.

5. chicken course: Le Pichet's roast chicken (duh)

5. ma course: My mom's fried chicken with gravy.

6. shellfish course: A baker's dozen kumomotos with Blue Heron's yummy cocktail sauce.

7. salmon course: Copper River, preferably cooked medium rare and dressed with nothing more than seasoning and lemon.

8. sandwich course: Cottechino from Salumi.

9.cheese course: Everything/anything in the case at PFI.

10: dessert course: My homemade cheesecake, two forks and hubby.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I forgot!

10a. taco course: Chicken, al pastor and shredded beef from any Taqueria El Rinconsito. Extra pickled veggies on the side. 25 napkins.

10b. bahn mi course: Saigon deli vegetarian tofu w/no butter and extra mayo and cilantro.

(uh, I couldn't follow the 10-course rule... of course, if it was my last meal, I would, uh, definitely be eating more than 10 courses dammit).

Edited by girl chow (log)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Subject to revision... :raz:

1. Pre Dinner Happy Hour: dozen kumomoto oysters w/ girlchow's dynomite mignonette served w/ Oregon Chahalem Pinot Gris

Dinner:

2. Cold Appetizer: Dungeness Crab and (Hood Canal) Prawn Cocktail

3. Hot Appetizer: Steamed Clams & Mussels (Hood Canal)

4. Salad: Sliced ripe tomatoes from the garden w/fresh mozzarella, basil, Jim Dixon's olive oil and balsamic, S&P

5. Soup: Mom's clam chowder w/Grand Central Bakery roll

6. Main Course: Mom's Lasagne followed by

7. a plate of Alaska King Crab legs, steamed and served w/melted butter, and cracked Dungeness Crab w/ home made tarragon mayonnaise.

8. Cheese course: Washington Cougar Gold

9. Dessert: Puyallup fresh strawberry shortcake w/whipped cream

10. Snack after dinner: Tim's Cascade potato chips & popcorn

Edit: I forgot to include Salmon!

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

Scrambled Egg with White Sturgeon Caviar and Lime Creme Fraiche from Rover's

Mixed salumi platter from Salumi

Passatelli from La Spiga (I wish they would add this soup back on their menu!)

Butternut squash ravioli in sage brown butter from the now-defunct Brie & Bordeaux

Gnocchi con Zafferano from La Rustica

Chipped Beef Gravy on homemade biscuits from Mom

Sauteed sea scallops from Flying Fish

Chateaubriand from The Met, shared with The Dude

Selection of Quillisascut cheeses from Rice, WA, and Sally Jackson cheeses from Oroville, WA

Tasting menu of Desserts: Ciambella with Albana from La Spiga; El Diablo from Tango; Little Bag of Donuts with extra caramel on the side from Dahlia Lounge; Gooey Chocolate Pudding Cake with a pitcher of cream from Sazerac, Mom's Angel Food Cake. Wasson Brothers Raspberry Wine from Sandy, OR. 1901 Malvasia Madeira from my house.

Meal comes with a really good sommelier - maybe Shayn Bjornholm from Canlis? - to select appropriately divine wine selections, which would presumably include Oregon Pinot Noir and Washington Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon.

'k, I prolly cheated with the desserts, but hey - it's my last meal! :raz:

Coming up with this list has been trying, but fun, and I will admit to poaching from some of the already-posted lists. Do I cheat by combining multiple things into single courses?, absolutely!; is this etched in stone?, absolutely not!

1- At least a dozen (probably two) kumamoto oysters with Tabasco and a champagne mignonette on the side. Beverage: Deschutes Black Butte Porter.

2- A mixed sushi/sashimi platter from Nishino including spider roll and otoro plus whatever else the chef recommends (no sea urchin please!). Beverage: Momokawa Pearl Sake from SakeOne in Oregon.

3- The truffle, asparagus risotto I had at Locanda dell’Amorosa in Tuscany. Beverage: a Vino Nobile di Motepulciano.

4- A slab of Copper River sockeye, grilled over mesquite charcoal. My wife’s potatoes au gratin (super cheesy version) on the side. Beverage: WillaKenzie Pinot Noir.

5- The pesto-crusted seared ahi I had at Indigo in Honolulu. Beverage: Ferrari-Carano Chardonnay.

6- A trio of cassoulets: Cassis’, Braserie Margaux’s and the one I had in France way back when. Beverage: the best Gigondas I could get my hands on.

7- Ellensburg lamb ribs, marinated in soy sauce, pineapple juice, vermouth and garlic (my Dad’s recipe) and grilled over charcoal with hickory chips. Grilled artichokes on the side. Beverage: McCrea Syrah.

8- A trough of La Spiga’s Tiramisu and my Mom’s biscotti. Beverage: Passito.

9- A very dense, rich chocolate torte enveloped in chocolate ganache with homemade vanilla ice cream. This may only exist in my imagination, but I’d know it if I found it! Beverage: a great Vintage Port.

10- A selection of small dessert items such as nightscotsman’s canelle, my Mom’s chocolate chip cookies, a sampling of local and international chocolate truffles, etc., etc. Beverage: the best Bas Armagnac I could find.

I figure it would only take me 12 hours or so to plow through this menu.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 2 weeks later...

For a variety of reasons, I felt it was time to post my last meal:

1) Butlered Hors D'Oeuvres

(yes, I cheat here big time, but hey - it's my party! Actually, I cheat throughout the whole thing)

a) Part One

Hard Smoked Pacific NW Salmon on Rye with Cream Cheese and Capers

Brushetta from both Filiberto's in Burien and Mama's in Chianti region of Italy

Peanut Butter Crackers (one of my fav food groups)

Bacon Wrapped Scallops

Shrimp Cocktail

b) Part Two

A Selection of Sashimi and Rolls from Nishino's in Seattle to include Hamachi, Maguro, Spider Roll and California Roll

House Vegetable Tempura from Nishino's to include Carrot, Yam, Acorn Squash, Shiitake and Oyster Mushrooms

Momokawa Pearl Sake from SakeOne in Oregon

2) Appetizer Course

a) Appetizer from West, Vancouver, B.C.

Quebec Foie Gras and Chicken Liver Parfait

on Apple Jelly with toasted Brioche

b) Appetizer from Union Square Grill in Seattle

Baked Escargot

baked in a Puff Pastry Crust with a savory Garlic Herb Butter

3) Soup Course

a) from Aquavit in NYC

Sunchoke Soup with Foie Gras and Grilled Watermelon

b) from Seattle Central Community College Student Restaurant

Classic French Onion Soup Gratineé (done from scratch and the best I have ever had)

4) Fish Course

Boiled New England Lobster

served with drawn Butter and Wise Potato Chips (chips are a childhood thing)

Ferrari Carano Chardonnay

5) Pasta Course

Risotto with White Truffles, White Tuffle Oil and freshly grated Parmigiano

(from a hole in the wall place in Perugia, Italy)

6) Poultry Course

Peking Duck from Duck Chang's in Annandale, VA

served with Pancakes, Hoisin Sauce and Scallions

Pinot Noir

7) Pork Course

Porchetta Sandwich from Salumi in Seattle (sigh)

8) Beef Course

Beef Wellington (my mom's)

served with Bearnaise Sauce and Grilled Asparagus

Merlot

9) Dessert Course

Stilton Cheesecake from Senses in Vancouver, B.C.

Tawny Port

10) Cheese Course

a selection of fine cheese that must include some illegal French triple creams, Cambazola, Irish Cashel Blue and Blue Castello. Other than these, I am wide open for suggestions. I just love cheese. :wub:

Please note that for the wine selections minus the above notations, I would humbly defer to the sommelier at West as well as Seattle Sommelier Arnie Millan.

Of course, as others have stated, this is subject to changes pending my next great meal....

Pat

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster