• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruitarians

Cast aside your meat! Toss out your veggies!Sweet sweet fruit is all we need!!!

I think I am going to start a food movement called Shut-up-atarianism.

Ben

I wonder if they are fruitier than the raelians?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'd be tempted to go with it if only for the fact that fruit "does not badly dirt dishes…"

I'll go for the goodly dirt dishes every time. :hmmm:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

An old friend of mine was stationed in Ecuador in the Peace Corps. He mentioned seeing a lot of Fruitarians in Quito. He also said that they wore long robes and didn't have any teeth. :unsure:

Is Froot Loops allowed on this diet?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

When will these fruitcakes understand that HAVING A LIFE and EATING FRUIT FOR THE REST OF IT simply cannot go together. I do not care if "Annoying headaches, stomach attacks and all kinds of aches and pains familiar to us will simply disappear. " :wacko: (unless you eat bad fruit I guess) or not if I cannot eat a good slab of meat on a regular basis (or a broiled eggplant for that matter)....

next thing you know we'll be having grainanians, or maybe tofuanians, and the list can go on forever... it's just insane how much these weirdos are trying alter their diet and eat as "healthily" as possible and they still die like the rest of us (or am I wrong). until I see a vegan (or a fruitarian or a raw food eater) live to be 200 years old (or 120) then I will still say this whole healthy/wierd diet is nothing but a messed up fad that will pass away when they do. Just be thankful you have something to eat!!!!

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Some gems from the website:

Seeds contain a good amount of dietary fibber
FRUIT provides the body with natural water.
(seeing as how those evil vegetables contain artificial water...)
Fruitarians develop a great feeling physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Fruitarians experience a feeling of finely tuned body, light, without few or no headaches, need less sleep and develop a greater resistance to illness, pain and aging. Fruitarian become more sensitive persons both physically and emotionally and develop the natural "instinct" to judge what does you good and what does you harm, fruitarian become more wise and expand their conscience…
FRUIT contains the most valuable amount of vitamins and minerals.

FRUIT has it all…. no wonder you feel healthy, light, strong and energetic.

All hail Fruit!

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I got the distinct impression while perusing the website that it is edited by the same group of people that draft owners manuals for Asian produced products as well as producing Chinese restaurant menus...

=Mark

I suppose it works as a reductio ad absurdum of vegetarianism: vegetarian!  Spare that carrot!  Eat this apple instead!

But on the whole, I'll take queer food over fruitarianism any day.

Baked Alaska and pigs in a blanket are gay? Who knew!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

When will these fruitcakes understand that HAVING A LIFE and EATING FRUIT FOR THE REST OF IT simply cannot go together.

Surprising how much anger this generates. Anyone ever been done harm by a fruitarian? Or just garden variety intolerance?

Seems in the same category as a meat and potatoes eater to me. Very narrow dietary preferences. But I don't know too many people who get angry at the meat/potato folks.

beachfan

I expect that it involves the holier than thou atitude that many of these restrictive dietary lifestyles adopt. I don't know too many meat & potatoes folks who go out of their way to set up a website claiming that anyone who does not adopt the meat & potatoes lifestyle is dooming themselves to a short life of pain and ill health. The veggie folks often seem to feel compelled to evangelize about their beliefs. Meat & potatoes folk are happy with just a knife and fork.

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

I expect that it involves the holier than thou atitude that many of these restrictive dietary lifestyles adopt.  I don't know too many meat & potatoes folks who go out of their way to set up a website claiming that anyone who does not adopt the meat & potatoes lifestyle is dooming themselves to a short life of pain and ill health.  The veggie folks often seem to feel compelled to evangelize about their beliefs.  Meat & potatoes folk are happy with just a knife and fork.

Do you know or hang out with a lot of vegetarians? Is this pesonal experience?

beachfan

I'm referring more to the online experience, vegetarians I know personally are more interested in finding a good place to eat with enough choices and do not tend to call too much attention to their situation.

Have you actually looked at this "Fruitarian" website? it is chock full of misleading and potentially dangerous "Information." I think it bears an angry response as there are already a lot of dangerous nutritional practices in western culture.

Here is a good quote touting the health benefits of the frutarian practices:

"Significative reduction or elimination of the menstrual flow for the women (maybe twice a year only or even nothing at all…)!"

WTF?! Last I heard the reduction or elimination of mestrual flow is an indication of malnourishment and is often an indicator of anorexia in women.

Would you say they are not adopting an evangelical tone? How about these statements:

Cooked food eating creates physical and emotional addiction to the person who eats it… weakens the immune system, makes people grow and look older and develops serious illnesses over time, it also makes societies to develop habits and economic structures that are pollutant to the environment destroying life and the life supporting mechanisms of our planet!

If you eat cooked foods and in particular flesh of animals, then your body is automatically poisoned and you condemned to develop in yourself a lot of low quality of thoughts, feelings and emotions…and if you want to develop high levels of intellectual, artistic or spiritual life then you will have to go on big "sweat" and maybe pain to conquer your goals…with fruit nutrition, the results of your creation will be brilliant, colorful and enchanting…

They then proceed into the standard issue "enzyme" nonsense, using junk science to support their views. What worries me is not so much adults that decide to adopt this lifestyle but the possible harm to unwitting young children who are dragged into it by their parents.

=Mark

Vegetarians I know personally are more interested in finding a good place to eat with enough choices and do not tend to call too much attention to their situation.

Exactly.

There are plenty of dogmatic websites. When they ring my doorbell, or send me email, or do something active, then I get annoyed.

And I certainly understand disagreeing strongly with many of their assertations. It's the anger I sense in some of the posts that surprise me.

beachfan

I can only speak for myself, but I don't have much anger. Just a guffaw, a snicker, and a sputter of disbelief.

Let 'em eat whatever the heck they want. I won't laugh in their faces, of course (if I were ever to meet a Fruitarian, I mean), but that doesn't mean it isn't funny.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

No fruitarians. Steak.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I can only speak for myself, but I don't have much anger.  Just a guffaw, a snicker, and a sputter of disbelief.

Let 'em eat whatever the heck they want.  I won't laugh in their faces, of course (if I were ever to meet a Fruitarian, I mean), but that doesn't mean it isn't funny.

Here, here! You speak for me as well, jhlurie!! Goodness knows, most of us need a good chortle now and again . . .

Now where I *can* become angry is when I hear reports, as I did earlier this very week, of a well-meaning-but-woefully-ignorant vegan couple who inadvertently (one hopes!) starved their baby to death in an effort to make the child as "healthy" as possible. Not good at all. :angry:

Xanthippe, I've read of several situations like this. Very very sad.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

To judge from the writing on this site, methinks some of their fruit fermented.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I can only speak for myself, but I don't have much anger.  Just a guffaw, a snicker, and a sputter of disbelief.

Let 'em eat whatever the heck they want.  I won't laugh in their faces, of course (if I were ever to meet a Fruitarian, I mean), but that doesn't mean it isn't funny.

Here, here! You speak for me as well, jhlurie!! Goodness knows, most of us need a good chortle now and again . . .

Now where I *can* become angry is when I hear reports, as I did earlier this very week, of a well-meaning-but-woefully-ignorant vegan couple who inadvertently (one hopes!) starved their baby to death in an effort to make the child as "healthy" as possible. Not good at all. :angry:

Actually, I heard that news item about the Vegans a few hours after last posting here.

Beachfan, I think this (clickity-click) is the explanation for the anger you've been looking for.

EDIT - spun this off into its own thread... here.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"