• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modern Indian Dining For a Crowd

Hi

does anyone have experience of dining in one of London's modern indian restaurant in a group, probably around 16 people for a 30th bday?

any recommendations?

what about the private rooms?

Thanks

sarah x

p.s that is meant to say "somewhere not someone" in the description

sorry

Edited by sarah w (log)

I have done the group thing at

Mela - friendly but chaotic service, best to order family style than let people order individually came to c£400 for 18 people ( not bad ) Food was excellent

Zaika - 10 people, formal, best part of £1000

Red Fort - 10 people - Mid level food, hit and miss service, bloody expensive

Chutney Mary - 10 people - Bloody dreadful

S

Cafe Lazeez, W1, Room for 10

La Porte des Indes (not really modern) has a room for 14

Depending on the weather Painted Heron may have a garden area for 20. It was previously a Thai place called Busabong Tree and that certainly had one.

I second the Mela recommendation. I've been there quite often, once in a group of about 12. As Simon said, the service can be a bit chaotic but the food is great. Sometimes I've ordered dishes that I imagined one way from reading the description on the menu and when they arrived they've been quite different, but they've always been good.

Thanks, keep them coming,

didnt think this would be so hard

i have gathered some info from veeraswamy,chutney mary(b4 i saw simons view!),red fort, zaika, Mela...

I have a headache already

x

I know Simon won't agree but I like Cafe Spice Namaste in Prescott St E1. I don't know if it has private rooms but its a spacious enough restaurant to accommodate a large group. I really like the decor and service and although the food can be hit and miss I've had more hits than misses and there is a really strong sense of regionality about the menu.

I'd also recommend Mela, though biggest group I've been in there is four, so only talking food recommendation.

Cafe Naz on Brick Lane has an upstairs room that they will use for large groups. Got to admit food has been hit and miss. Used to go there for the eat as much as you can buffet on weekday lunchtimes when I used to work at Aldgate, but went in groups to it a couple of times for leaving do's/birthdays.

I've been in Cafe Spice Namaste in a biggish group (12) before and they seated us in the main area, though they might have a private room. Food was good, but as this was about 3 years ago the price would be a bit different.

Dave

Hi

does anyone have experience of dining in one of London's modern indian restaurant in a group, probably around 16 people for a 30th bday?

I'd go to Zaika, pre-select a series of dishes a day or two before; and have it served banquest style. With 16-18 people it would be worth it - The restaurant will give a special attention to the b'day. Easiest still; invite Simon and let him get the arrangements done :raz::laugh:

anil