• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A place to eat between London and Derby

Hubby and I have to do a quick run up to Derbyshire tomorrow. I'm looking for lunch or dinner suggestions on the way up or way down.

Nothing too complicated, too expensive or that requires too much of a detour.

Your sage advice please...

Hallie,

If you are travelling up the M1, The Roade House, Roade, Northants (Junction 16) gets a goodish write up in the GFG. http://www.roadehousehotel.co.uk/restaurant.htm

Alternatively, if you travelling up the A1 , we have stopped at The Ram Jam Inn ( near Stamford) a few times. It used to be owned by Tim Hart, (owner of the nearby Hambleton Hall) and provides reasonably priced well cooked food, in comfortable surroundings. Jonathon Meades eulogised about in the eary nineties which is why we went. Admittedly, we haven't been there for two years. http://www.rutnet.co.uk/customers/ramjam/bistro.htm

If you are pushing the boat out, I can reccomend Fischers at Baslow Hall in Derbyshire. Michelin starred food of excellent quality. I didn't get the benefit though as I was doing the Bestman's speech at a friend's wedding and was therefore too nervous to eat. Ho Hum http://www.fischers-baslowhall.co.uk/

Bapi, you really are the King of the Country House Break.  Would you consider (when you have a spare day or three) putting them all into one thread, then over the coming years I can work my way around all the lovely places you have recommended.

Charlene- you cheeky monkey!

Hallie , you are welcome

Edited by Bapi (log)

Actually, Jacakal10 is absolutely right.

Go to Hambleton Hall, they do a excellent value " Lunch for less" which is £17.50 for two courses and and extra £5.50 for a third

The weather is supposed to be quite good this weekend, so they should sit you outside overlooking Rutland Water.

Trust me, from what we have discussed before Hallie, about Country Hotels, this will be right down you street.

Have a peruse of this http://www.hambleton.co.uk/

Edited by Bapi (log)

I promised to report, so here I go.

On our way back down from Derby we stopped for dinner at the Vine in a little Northants. village called Paulerspury. We tried to book the Roade House but they didn't have any early tables. The Vine is actually within the vicinity of the Roade House.

The Vine also acts as a B and B - giving rise to a moment of fear when we walked through the paved entry way and into the haven of chintz - the scent of fried breakfast still clinging to the rose print curtains. Things got much better.

If the twee cottage decor isn't too off putting, the Vine does lovely local modern British cuisine. They know all of their suppliers personally. We had:

starters:

- what was called a 'steamed pork pudding' : a bit like a miniature pork meat loaf - this was hubby's choice and very good, though not what I would have ordered.

- Ham cured salmon with watercress and rocket salad: think gravad lax cured with 'ham' spices (cloves, etc.) Also very good.

Mains:

- chicken with wild mushrooms and asparagus : honestly, the best piece of chicken I have EVER had. The proprietress said that they don't usually put chicken on the menu but they have found a local supplier who does the most succulent free-range, organic chicken they've come across. My mouth is still watering just thinking about it.

- venison with lentil mash and some type of red berry and wine sauce (sorry, I wasn't paying attention when hubby ordered this and then wolfed it down - I did get to sample the venison and it was top notch). The proprietress said that all of their game is shot, not farmed.

Dessert:

- ruhbarb crumble for hubby - not a huge fan, personally, but from what I tasted, the topping at least was crisp and perfect.

- thai pineapple carpaccio with passion fruit sorbet - a stunning dessert made with lime zest and just a hint of chili.

Roughly 28.00 a head - without wine (we were driving).

My one complaint was the ambiance - I can't stand whispering dining rooms!! The only thing that could be heard was the tinkle of cutlery against china and that ever-so polite, B+B breakfast room mumbling!! ARGHHHH! It makes me want to jump on the table and do a tap dance! This, coupled with the chintz was a bit hard to take at times - thankfully, the good food carried the entire evening.

Give me noisy London restaurants any day! I'm afraid if this is what dining in the country is like I'm destined to remain an urban girl.