• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking With Olive Oil

helenas

The Ligurian Lemon Cake recipe from Pierre Herme and Dorrie Greenspan's "Desserts" has olive oil in it. Nightscotsman made it once, and it's one of the best cakes I've ever had.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I've made a cake based on a recipe from Capezanna, the Tuscan wine and olive oil estate. It's basically eggs, sugar, flour, and olive oil with some orange zest for flavor. Really simple and very good.

Bittman's How to Cook Everything has an olive oil cookie recipe that is also good...I prefer the version with red wine and black pepper that results in a sweet-savory cookie.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

• 3 weeks later...
Whoever finds this subject interesting, might want to check the Spring 2003 issue of "Eating Well" magazine.

The sample recipe for Lemon Almond Polenta Torta is available online.

I just made this this weekend, it took about 10 minutes to throw together, it is done entirely in a food processor, and was absolutely incredible!

My copy finally arrived! :biggrin:

I am going to do the orange semolina cake next.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Quite a while ago there was a thread on banana breads, and this recipe was in it (given by Lesley C). I tried it a while ago -- I was taken with the idea of a banana bread without cinnamon and nutmeg and all the usual suspects, and the use of olive oil made it that much more intriguing. It came out great, everyone liked it, and for some reason whenever I think of the taste the only thing that comes to mind is that it is more "adult" than regular banana bread. (Whatever that means.) Here's a copy of Lesley C's post.

oops, sorry. Link to the recipe appears below.

Edited by cakewalk (log)

That Lemon Almond Polenta Torta sounds delicious.  I'm so sorry that the recipe includes the calorie count.  It leaves no way to delude myself.

Yeah, self delusion is a pretty thing, Babe.

But the Lemon Almond Polenta Tart Sounds even better. Thanks, Helena!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 6 months later...

Olive oil is supposed to be sooo much better for us than butter, but I have never tried baking with it. I am looking for dense chocolate cake or other dessert recipes that take olive, peanut, or other mono unsaturated oil.

There is a recipe for Ligurian olive oil cake in the Pierre Herme Dessert book done with Dorie Greenspan. Note: I tried this recipe and was not overly impressed, but your results may vary. (this is not a chocolate cake)

I may be wrong, but I think Steve Klc makes a semolina cake (similar to tishpishti) I think was made with olive oil, then soaked in a light syrup flavored with orange or rose water? Steve, help me out here. Was I dreaming this? I remember it being good -- there is an al dente texture that is absent many cakes like this -- and the syrup wasn't cloying -- it was there to sweeten and moisten, not to force a diabetic coma.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

There are some great recipes in epicurious.com. Some of them incorporate fruit. I found a Portuguese olive oil cake on the web.

Olive oil adds moistness: it is very pleasing. Don't use extra virgin. An alternative is grapeseed oil, which has the healthful properties of olive oil but no flavor at all.

I was very skeptical about olive oil in cakes until I tried it, and it really works!

Here is one of my favorites (lemon-almond torta):

http://www.eatingwell.com/articles_recipes...lenta_torta.htm

The spring 2003 issue of Eating Well had a bunch of desserts made with olive oil and I have made almost all of them.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Payard has a recipe for a Banana Loaf made with olive oil in his cookbook. It's very moist.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I thought Herme's recipe with Ligurian Olive Oil was incredible. The only hard part was finding the right oil. The Ligurian is definitely not your average oil...very light. I could imagine some of the regularly available oils might harm a recipe with their heavier taste.

one of the topics at the imhr show was olive oil in desserts. michael laiskonis and heather carlucci both made desserts using olive oil. michael did a financier using 50% butter and 50% olive oil. heather made a chocolate mousse using olive oil. i'm not sure if both recipes are up on the thread, but check the imhrs thread to check.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a recipe for Ligurian olive oil cake in the Pierre Herme Dessert book done with Dorie Greenspan. Note: I tried this recipe and was not overly impressed, but your results may vary. (this is not a chocolate cake)

Nightscotsman made this once, and it is one of the best cakes I've ever had.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Kym, there is a recipe in today's (London) Guardian for a date + olive oil cake (with optional pecans) - do you want me to PM you the recipe?

Fi

I looked online for it but couldn't find it. Perhaps you could post the link? It sounds good.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts