• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter

GordonCooks

Someone could make the same argument for the sugar some people insist on dumping into their PB.

Actually, the Almond Butter seems to "need" the salt much less than the Peanut.

That said, you probably are right. Next time I grind some I'll mix in some salt when I get home.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Here in Japan we ahve the choice of Skippy, Skippy, Skippy, or the Japanese stuff.

we eat Skippy, I prefer crunchy but the kids like smooth and since they are the ones who eat it.............

Anyone who thinks that American peanut butter is sweet has never tasted the stuff the Japanese call peanut butter, it is a whipped product (not dense like "real" peanut butter) that tastes like marshmallow fluff with a drop of peanut flavoring added. :shock:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Someone could make the same argument for the sugar some people insist on dumping into their PB.

It's probably a true argument. But nobody seems to make a peanut butter with just a little sugar added, which would be the correct formulation for gourmet palates. It wouldn't surprise me if a little added oil helped with texture either. The problem is that the mass-market products are off the charts on additives, and the health-food products have none. Somewhere in the middle -- albeit much closer to the health-food end of the spectrum -- is where you're going to get the best peanut butter.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

In a side-by-side taste test of Peter Pan, Skippy and Jif, I chose Jif.

Good work, advertising industry! You have programmed me into believing choosing Jif is what choosy mothers do. Ha Ha Ha.

Logically, I know Jif is probably packed with bad crap and I SHOULD be choosing Laura whatever-her-name is natural brand, but I still prefer Jif.

I also find the Jif logo eerily comforting.

Edited by claire797 (log)

It's probably a true argument. But nobody seems to make a peanut butter with just a little sugar added, which would be the correct formulation for gourmet palates. It wouldn't surprise me if a little added oil helped with texture either. The problem is that the mass-market products are off the charts on additives, and the health-food products have none. Somewhere in the middle -- albeit much closer to the health-food end of the spectrum -- is where you're going to get the best peanut butter.

Actually, Jif makes a version that has less sugar and stuff added called Simply Jif. I noticed it at the grocery store when I was compelled to pick up some peanut butter, raisins and celery for "ants on a log" after reading all the related threads in the last few days. (Though I ended up getting Skippy)

I'll second Soba's choice of Smuckers All Natural for readily available supermarket brands. The label lists only peanuts and salt as ingredients. Plus it separates if left alone for a while so you have to stir it for a while before using. Much better than the highly processed stuff.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Adams Chunky (just peanuts and salt)

Along with the sugar, industrial PB has hydrogenated oils added, so you're getting trans fats and rancid fats along with that peanutty goodness.

Jim

I'm with you, Jim. Adams is great; I mentioned it, along with Laura Scudder's (both chunky) in an earlier post on this thread.

Just peanuts and salt, as it should be. The industrial stuff isn't PB as far as I'm concerned.

Also... fresh Almond Butter.  I'll switch off between Peanut Butter & Jelly and Almond Butter & Jelly sandwiches when I'm in the mood.

Almond butter mmmmm and I guess you'd call it chunky - sort of a course ground peanut butter that you can get at the health food store, where you grind your own. Roasted nuts and salt - can't beat that! I haven't tried the cashew butter, but that's next.

• 4 years later...
Hi everyone, this is something I'm very passionate about!

Maranatha brand is the best, chunky for eating out of the jar, smooth for toast!

Does anyone else put peanut butter on celery?

SB :biggrin:

But if you really wanted really good tasting peanut butter, you could always make your own I suppose.

That's the only PB I'll eat - I'll grind my own or use the fresh, organic peanuts and grinder at one of several stores in the area.

I can't stand the commercial brands that use hydrogenated oils, sugar, and (usually) to much salt.

Shel

... Shel

OK. My vote is to keep 2 jars on hand at all times. Teddy's smooth for using in Asian dressings and a few other dishes. Teddy's chunky for eating as is.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

• 2 months later...

What I want to know is - why is peanut butter always either completely smooth or so packed with pieces of peanut that you might as well just eat a bunch of peanuts? Why hasn't anyone ever thought of making a smooth spread with just a few peanuts here and there to add a bit of crunch? Of course I know I could make my own, but then it wouldn't have that addictive flavour which only the commercial brands have...

What I want to know is - why is peanut butter always either completely smooth or so packed with pieces of peanut that you might as well just eat a bunch of peanuts?  Why hasn't anyone ever thought of making a smooth spread with just a few peanuts here and there to add a bit of crunch?  Of course I know I could make my own, but then it wouldn't have that addictive flavour which only the commercial brands have...

You could still make your own by sprinkling chopped peanuts onto peanut butter. I like the crunchy ones packed with peanuts, and would actually like more peanuts in them, if possible!

Has anyone mailordered from Peanut Butter & Co?  How's the service?

I jusr tried to order some online but they d/n use a secured server ? Had anyone ordered form there ?

How's the Cinnamon Raisan PB ?

Well I just tried to place an order and the site STILL isn't secure, some three and a half years after this post. Why in the world don't they have a secure server? Weird.

Well I just tried to place an order and the site STILL isn't secure, some three and a half years after this post. Why in the world don't they have a secure server? Weird.

Having a secure server (HTTPS / SSL) is really more of a case of perceived security than real security. It makes customers more comfortable, but the fact remains that data theft is extremely unlikely in-transit. It's far more likely that a server would be compromised, or that your card might be double-swiped in retail. I would not let lack of a secure connection impede making such a purchase except in rare circumstances. (i.e., public, unencrypted wi-fi in a coffee shop). Please, do go ahead and purchase!

And after typing all that, I went to look at the site - the checkout process is secure, but in a frame, so you don't see "https://" in the URL. Yahoo!'s small business 'stores' service handles the information-collection process.

That said, PB & Co.'s products are exceptional. I found them on the shelves of my local Giant and snapped them up. I thought them expensive at the time, but having checked the site, they weren't charging more than direct - just no shipping!

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large