• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter

GordonCooks

I like it chunky, my dog likes it smooth. Nothing is funnier than watching her try to remove the peanut butter from the roof of her mouth.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Chunky is definitely superior to smooth, but those supermarket brands have so much oil and sugar in them that they hardly taste like peanut butter at all. The best peanut butter comes from Peanut Butter & Co. One reason it's so good is that it has just the right amount of salt. Most of the natural brands have a terrible health-food-store taste, in part because they have no salt and in part because they're made from peanuts that are selected without regard for flavor. The Peanut Butter & Co. product uses really good, properly roasted peanuts (a blend, in fact).

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I noticed that the peanut butter in the USA tasted quite sweet, is this usual or is it just that I tried some cheap ass brand (which I can't recall). In Australia there is "Smooth", "Crunchy" and "Regular" or "Tradional". I like the latter, is like smoother then "Crunchy", but not as smooth " as Smooth", plus it has large chunks of peanut throughout.

It's sweet because it has a lot of sugar in it. (Though, this being eGullet, I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to argue that sugar doesn't actually make things sweet.)

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

When I was a bodybuilder I ate tons of Chunky, but only the health food store type. I can't bear Jif and Skippy. Icky.

Now, I still eat Laura Scudder with jalapeno jelly, but I still won't eat the grocery store stuff. It's got other oils, corn syrup and probably soy.

Grocery store PB is gross, although my dog seems to like it. I have occasionally made peanut butter with the help of my Cuisinart, and have plans to repeat the experiment and add different flavors and whatnot.

Has anyone mailordered from Peanut Butter & Co? How's the service?

I've heard good things about Krema but, unbelievably, have not actually made it into their store yet. Maybe I'll try to get there today and report back.

Jennie

Has anyone mailordered from Peanut Butter & Co?  How's the service?

I jusr tried to order some online but they d/n use a secured server ? Had anyone ordered form there ?

How's the Cinnamon Raisan PB ?

It's sweet because it has a lot of sugar in it. (Though, this being eGullet, I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to argue that sugar doesn't actually make things sweet.)

Added sugar or natural peanut sugar?

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Most American versions of Peanut Butter are highly loaded with Sugar and many things other than peanuts. They can be tasty though, but I rarely eat them.

I remember a canadian brand called Squirrel Peanut Butter that placed a couple whole peanuts on the top of each jar. We all thought this was cute and it didn't hurt that the peanut butter was tasty either.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I like peanut butter. On toast or made into a sauce with sauteed cabbage with chiles.

Squirrel is sweet. Skippy is sweet. Kraft is okay. President's Choice Just Peanuts Smooth is pretty good.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I remember a canadian brand called Squirrel Peanut Butter that placed a couple whole peanuts on the top of each jar.  We all thought this was cute and it didn't hurt that the peanut butter was tasty either.

My favourite! However, it's called Skippy, not Squirrel. :) Ever since I was young, I loved getting those two little peanuts on the top.

http://www.skippy.ca/

No peanut butter here, only Nutella

Super-Chunky. Chunk is good. The chunkier the better. Two buck chunk.

Of the widely-available brands, I will only buy Laura Scudder or Adams. Just peanuts and salt in 'em, nothing else. Health food store brands taste, er, too healthy.

I've heard great things about both Krema and Peanut Butter & Company, but have never had the pleasure of tasting either.

Chunky is definitely superior to smooth, but those supermarket brands have so much oil and sugar in them that they hardly taste like peanut butter at all. The best peanut butter comes from Peanut Butter & Co. One reason it's so good is that it has just the right amount of salt. Most of the natural brands have a terrible health-food-store taste, in part because they have no salt and in part because they're made from peanuts that are selected without regard for flavor. The Peanut Butter & Co. product uses really good, properly roasted peanuts (a blend, in fact).

I disagree. The best peanut butter comes from the nuts you get at the Peanut Roaster in North Carolina, ground in one of those little Mr. Peanut peanut grinders from the '70's.

Ben

Ditto on the kudos for PB & Co. I've already spread the love for them in another similar discussion.

I'm not as sure as you that the salt is completely necessary (although it always helps) as long as premium roasted peanuts are used. My local Whole Foods has a good blend and a nice little machine to crush 'em right there for you. I imagine they throw some amount of salt in there, but it doesn't seem like its all that much.

Also... fresh Almond Butter. I'll switch off between Peanut Butter & Jelly and Almond Butter & Jelly sandwiches when I'm in the mood.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Popcorn, I will readily admit that the peanuts from the Peanut Roaster are the best peanuts in the universe. So perhaps they do make great peanut butter. But in terms of something you can buy in a jar, Peanut Butter & Co. rules.

Jhlurie, to me the salt is critical. It really does seem to enhance the taste of the product and give it character. Which is, of course, salt's modus operandi. And in my experience buying at Whole Foods and other places, they do not use salt in those machines. Maybe they do sometimes, but I've never seen or tasted it.