• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter

GordonCooks

It depends......

Is it going on bread or toast?

Is it going it alone or with something else on the bread?

And most important.....

What am I eating it with?

On bread, chunky.

Toast, smooth.

With jellies and jams, chunky.

On a grilled PB sammie served on the side of a great bowl of chili con carne, It HAS to be Peter Pan smooth. (Recall be damned!!!!!)

Always white bread with Peter Pan smooth and Concord Grape jelly with a cold glass(sit in frezer while making the sandwich) of white milk.

I remember back in the 70's when peanut butter jars had recipes on them and rememberinf making fried PB&J snadwiches with butter as the fat for frying. Boy was it messy, but I remember it being pretty good.

OK. My vote is to keep 2 jars on hand at all times. Teddy's smooth for using in Asian dressings and a few other dishes. Teddy's chunky for eating as is.

-Mark-

Dunno how available it is, but Jade Sichuan Peanut Sauce, which is manufactured on the West Coast, is a great product for use in Asian dressings. It's moderately hot and mostly smooth.

It doesn't seem quite fair to compare widely available brands to smaller artisanal products. I've never seen Peanut Butter & Co, but it sounds yummy. For supermarket brands I like Adams (chunky) over Laura Scudders. I'm pretty sure I grew up with Skippy, although it's been so long I can't remember. Skippy and Jif have a big nostalgia factor for lots of people and for them it's comfort food. After eating only Adams for many many years I tried a spoonful of Skippy and couldn't believe how much sweeter and more artificial it tasted than I remembered. I don't know what I was expecting, given what's in it.

• 1 month later...

Jif creamy all the way. I buy the large two pack at Costco and go through them in no time at all. And I'm the only one in the house that will touch it. :rolleyes:

Tried the Simply Jif once and it was nasty. :angry: Had a funny bitter undertone to it.

When I'm hungry in the middle of the night, I go for sunflower seed butter. It will kinda sooth a PB craving but doesn't make my stomach burn like PB does when I lay down to sleep.

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I've tried some of the all-natural brands, and they're good, but I guess my palate has gotten used to the sugary stuff I've eaten since childhood.

Jif smooth, usually on a cracker, topped with cheese.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Out of curiousity do people who like the peanut butter creamy prefer pulp free orange juice, and vice versa? I've always had this theory that people who like crunchy peanut butter like pulpy orange juice, and people who like creamy peanut butter like pulp free, but I've never tested it.

For myself crunchy natural style, and (horrors) salt free.

Out of curiousity do people who like the peanut butter creamy prefer pulp free orange juice, and vice versa?  I've always had this theory that people who like crunchy peanut butter like pulpy orange juice, and people who like creamy peanut butter like pulp free, but I've never tested it.

Not I. I only eat creamy peanut butter (maybe I'll try crunchy again just to make sure), and I heavily prefer my OJ to be very very pulpy.

Skippy Creamy. Tried Skippy "Natural" which has on it's label that it's been deemed to be "America's Best Tasting" natural peanut butter as judged by "independent professional chefs." :hmmm:

Whatever.

It's okay but not as good as the original which of course has more salt, sugar, and oil. Just the way I like it. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I usually go with JIF creamy or crunchy, but every once in awhile I buy some natural stuff just for variety.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

I'll go with 1) crunchy, and cashew nut butter is even better.

Aah, cashew butter. I hadn't commented since the topic referenced peanut butter, but now that the ice has been broken, may I also weigh in on this divine condiment? It's perhaps a once-a-year purchase for me since it is used so quickly.

Trader Joe's sells a blend of cashew and macadamia butter that lends itself to eating straight, much more so than standard PB. I keep wanting to use it in recipes, but it doesn't last that long.

As far as the topic goes: creamy peanut butter only, and sadly, the all-natural kinds don't please my palate. (OJ, as pulpy as possible.)

Edited to correct spelling

Edited by DCP (log)

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

• 2 weeks later...
Out of curiousity do people who like the peanut butter creamy prefer pulp free orange juice, and vice versa?  I've always had this theory that people who like crunchy peanut butter like pulpy orange juice, and people who like creamy peanut butter like pulp free, but I've never tested it.

Not I. I only eat creamy peanut butter (maybe I'll try crunchy again just to make sure), and I heavily prefer my OJ to be very very pulpy.

The opposite here... only crunchy peanut butter, and pulp-free OJ please. I don't like filtering my drinks through my teeth. And creamy peanut butter... I don't get. Ever. Only used for cooking purposes where I can't get away with a crunchy peanut texture.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope