• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oneophilic Quandries

Elissa

1. Toss the Reidels: wine drunk from a lover's mouth tastes better. Please do give this a go and report back. My theory is that when someone else's enzymes start working on the juice, it's double developed by the time it hits the second set of taste buds and better prepared to exhibit its full blown voluptuous nature. I'd recommend a Cote Rotie for the experiment, at least 12 years old. (Of course, I'd likely recommend a 12 year old Cote Rotie for any experiment...)

2. Ever try swirling in opposite directions? (Ooopsi: You'll need to retrieve those Reidels for this one, and I do hope they are the Sommeliers. With luck you tossed them gently onto pillows, and did not chuck them with abandon into the fireplace.) I find, in general, that a counter clockwise swirl brings out very different nose: sharper usually, more angular and with less depth. Am I mad?

3. Once I spent six months in the Southern hemisphere. There, stars are upside down and the Southern Cross is high. I wont go into the other strange things that flipped but their confluence left me with the impression that human kind has yet to really dig the how latitudes effect the human body. So do you think that the swirling mentioned above would work in reverse too?

your thoughts appreciated.

:smile:

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Nope. I really wonder about these things, soberly. :biggrin:

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

dbl post :shock:

Edited by lissome (log)

-Beaumarchais

2. Ever try swirling in opposite directions? (Ooopsi: You'll need to retrieve those Reidels for this one, and I do hope they are the Sommeliers. With luck you tossed them gently onto pillows, and did not chuck them with abandon into the fireplace.) I find, in general, that a counter clockwise swirl brings out very different nose: sharper usually, more angular and with less depth. Am I mad?

Does this have anything to do with the water in the toilet swirling in the opposite direction in the Southern hemisphere??? :blink: If you swirl clockwise, does it go counter-clockwise?? :wacko::wacko:

Yes - I think you're mad. And I think I'm insane for considering this at this late hour.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Does this have anything to do with the water in the toilet swirling in the opposite direction in the Southern hemisphere???

has anybody really verified this? as far as i know, the coreoli effect is only visible in large scale phenomenons like climate (wind systems, sea current systems etc.).

oops, somewhat off topic... :rolleyes:

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

Does this have anything to do with the water in the toilet swirling in the opposite direction in the Southern hemisphere???

has anybody really verified this? as far as i know, the coreoli effect is only visible in large scale phenomenons like climate (wind systems, sea current systems etc.).

oops, somewhat off topic... :rolleyes:

More off-topicness

Just curious -

1. When you drink wine from your lovers mouth which direction do you swirl their head?

2. Is this method somewhat less effective with sparkling wines?

3. Isn't this a dangerous procedure while drinking really great wine? Is it not difficult to get your share once it has entered the others mouth?

4. How do sommeliers usually react to this technique? Does your partner get irritated by the sommelier constantly refilling their mouth when it gets a little low on wine?

5. How long do your relationships usually last?

Also I am willing to accept the Reidels of all of you willing to make this change in tasting procedure.

Edited by Craig Camp (log)