• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Central Jersey Gourmet Grocery Stores

I know they've been frequently discussed here but I was hoping that you could save me the trouble of researching the many threads and let me know which stores are in Central NJ (or driveable from here) and where they are.

Also, perhaps a brief decription of what makes the store unique/special?

I have a new roommate and she was a Trader Joes addict in L.A. and I promised we'd find comparable stores for her to shop in in NJ. I was about to seek out all the threads and take notes but thought you all might come to my rescue here :rolleyes:

We are in the Edison area.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. We DID find AWESOME bread in ShopRite the other day - LaBrea Whole Grain bread. AMAZING. The (incredible) La Brea bakery was just up the street from her in L.A. Does anyone know if it is imported from L.A. or if they have a local baker that makes it for them here to their specifications?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Does anyone know if it is imported from L.A. or if they have a local baker that makes it for them here to their specifications?

randi, la brea sends their bread frozen from their own bakery and its gets finished in an oven at the merchant...

P.S. We DID find AWESOME bread in ShopRite the other day - LaBrea Whole Grain bread.  AMAZING.  The (incredible) La Brea bakery was just up the street from her in L.A.  Does anyone know if it is imported from L.A. or if they have a local baker that makes it for them here to their specifications?

Frozen product. Slack-n-sell. Not Par-baked. Pretty good for what it is, IMO.

Nick

Super Targets in Houston sell La Brea bread. I went in once to buy some a few hours before a dinner party and the Ciabatta didn't feel fresh. The baker swore it was baked that day but said "no problem...come back in 10 minutes and I'll have a fresh loaf for you" and she did. It may not have been pristine and artisanal but it was a whole lot better than any other bread I could buy in a Houston grocery store.

Lobster.

Fear not, Trader Joe addict, there's a branch in Westfield (on Elm Street, which runs into the main drag of North Avenue) that has all or nearly all the usual TJ fave items, some wine and beer values (no hard liquor).

The closest Whole Foods to you is probably Millburn (on Millburn ave). The produce and fish are pricy but usually excellent quality, ditto for their breads and cheeses. I don't know enough about their natural health products to comment.

Don't overlook the Oriental groceries in the Edison area - they are lots of fun and often have great values on fish and produce. I especially like Kam Man on route 1 in Edison, but there are several others in the area worth exploring.

I agree with Nick on the bread.

I agree with Kim on the driving to the Princeton Wegmans, at least until the Woodbridge Wegmans opens up.

Unlike OGG, I wouldn't drive very far for Whole Foods; it's a convenience or last-resort stop only for me--and I have a "nice" one two blocks from my house.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Thanks everyone! Westfield Trader Joes sounds like the winner till the Woodbridge Wegman's opens.

Thanks again!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

It's not actually on Route 1, Rosie, but in between Routes 1 & 9, behind the Woodbridge Center Mall. I used to go bowling on that street and shooting at a shooting range there. My parents just told me it's definitely not opening soon--still a bunch of mud and port-a-potties.

Randi--you might have a tough time relying on Trader Joes as anything more than a nice supplement to your regular grocery and supermarket shopping, which should be done elsewhere. It's really limited--great for what it is but ultimately not all that special or complete. You might want to check out 1) the recently revamped Woodbridge Shoprite on Route 1/9 (near the Bertucci's) to tide you over and 2) the Edison Price Club/Costco if you are a member--much better wine selection and pricing than TJ (at least in my area--in NJ the pricing advantages are probably less since the state is pretty rigidly controlled) much more varied selection if not better in certain respects. I just came home with a great chunk of Manchego from my Price Club, cut it into matchsticks, tossed it with some green apple matchsticks and a vinaigrette. Yum. (I'm not that creative--that dish is on the menu of a restaurant I'm involved with.)

I haven't been to this "new" Shoprite yet--but shopped often at the old one. It was strong in some areas but weak, hopelessly so, in others--like fresh produce. It was all shrinkwrapped and pre-packaged, unfailingly of poor quality. I expect they've done their homework and upgraded more to a Harris Teeter/Whole Foods/Wegmans look and feel but can't say from firsthand experience yet.

The only thing you really need to know about what makes stores special or unique is to tally the number of glowing reports of Wegmans here on the site. Many of us disparate foodies have come together united in one thing--Wegmans rules supreme. Hands down. Exponentially so. We don't glow over Whole Foods at all, in fact, we smolder.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

It's not actually on Route 1, Rosie, but in between Routes 1 & 9, behind the Woodbridge Center Mall.  My parents just told me it's definitely not opening soon--still mud and port-a-potties.

I just heard that it is opening in Oct.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

You might want to check out 1) the recently revamped Woodbridge Shoprite on Route 1/9

Steve, I shop now at the Edison ShopRite ("the experience") on Oak Tree Rd. It's huge and has a decent selection. That's where we found the La Brea bread (tried their olive bread tonite...OH MAN!! Ate 8 slices for dinner!)

My roomie has a Costco membership so apparently we'll be going there too. YAY!

• 2 years later...
I read that Whole Foods has opened in Middletown. Anyone been?

I visited the Whole Foods in Middletown on Monday - I love it!

They have a great selection of prepared foods that is more

varied than what you'd find at Wegmans. I picked up some

Sesame Tofu, Chilli Tofu and steamed Thai Shrimp - delicous.

I liked the selection of bulk foods - various types of rice, grains,

cornmeal, ...... you bag them yourself and can get whatever amount

you want . I bought some short grain brown rice, but haven't had

time to try it yet. The prices tend to be high - especially for the

organic fruits and vegetables ($2.98 for an artichoke).

They have some specials each week - I got rib steaks (tonight's

dinner) at $5.99 a pound and the Whole Foods brand (365 Organic) of

chocolate truffles from France for $4.99 for 8.8 oz. I sampled the

truffles and they were heavenly. I won't do my every day shopping

at Whole Foods but I will visit often.

I am thrilled that they are within 10 minutes of my house!

• 2 weeks later...

Since opening i've been there several times already: so far so good, just hope they will attract enough patrons to sustain on the current level. The meat section still beats Wegmans on each front - selection, quality and prices: but although initially excited about WF fish section, i'm not sure anymore - still cheaper than Wegmans.

A couple of years ago I stumbled on a terrific large Gourmet market called Zagara's on Route 73 in Marlton.  Is it still there?  It seemed to be head and shoulders above Whole Foods.

No takers on Zagara's?

No takers on Zagara's?

They closed last year. here is an article about it.