• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried fruits

I have yet to come across a dried version of a fruit that I don't like.

The most incredible was this sampler of dried cherries (some chocolate coated) that a friend brought back after a trip to Seattle. I had had dried cherries before but these were beyond words! :biggrin:

My next favorite would be apricots.

I usually eat them as soon as I get home so they are rarely used for cooking! :huh:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

We get really great prunes at the Farmers Market here. Grown down in the Umpqua Valley near Elkton, they're a little harder than the commercial prunes but taste so much better. When the market closes for the winter in October, we buy about 15 lbs and keep them in the freezer so they don't dry out much more.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Where I work, we sell an extensive line of bulk dried fruits. Some are organic and don't have the sulphuric acid added for color and softness. We get: apricots, blueberries, bananas, cherries, cranberries, mangos, tropical mix....lots of others.

I love making compotes with them in the winter.

Love dried pluots and nectarines for eating. But dried apricots are my all-time favorite. Current favorites are the Slab Apricots at Trader Joe's.

Dried cherries, of any kind, are my favorites to use for baking. Particularly Bara Brith (unyeasted version), a Welsh tea bread -- "tea" NOT just meaning eaten for tea (which it, of course, is) but in that the fruit is soaked in cold tea overnight. Last time I made it it included dried Rainier cherries and dried tart Montmorencies...both from Trader Joe's. And dried currants.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I use dried fruit to threaten fresh fruit.

"See? See? This is what could happen to you if you don't taste like you would have forty years ago when plums and apricots were food instead of watery sugar bags!"

Sadly, this never works.

The fruit just says, "Yeah. Fine. Dry me. At least I'll be sweet and cloying then and old folk like you will stop complaining because we'll break off your teeth. So shaddup."

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I cannot think of a single good use for dried fruit. In fact, I shudder uncontrollably just thinking about it.

steak.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Obviously, I prefer fresh fruit above all else, but when it comes to dried fruit, I really like dried pineapple. Dried peaches are okay, and dried apricots seem to vary from place to place the most (in my tasting anyway).

I love most dried fruit. I usually have a good stock of fruit in the pantry. To snack on I think dried papaya and dried pineapple are right up there for me.

But my favourite at the moment would be dates. I made a Lumberjack cake this week with large chunks of apple and date and it was literally all gone within 30 minutes of taking it out of the oven.

Even my toddler who usually lives on carpet fluff, peanut butter sandwhiches and live selections from the garden actually ate some! Hmmmm.. maybe that is not a good example to give since I am trying to let you know how delicious it was. :unsure:

Just read an article where one of the best known producer/packer (name escapes) of 'Dried Plums', is introducing a "Cherrry Flavored" dried plum/prune.

Why in the world would they want to change the taste of plum, when not simply dried 'Cherries' would do.

Pritty soon someone will come out with 'Chicken Tasting' "Prime Rib of Beef"

Peter

I love dried fruit, especially dates, in the winter. Come spring, I lose my taste for it. Chopped dates or figs can be added to oatmeal instead of raisins. Putting the fruit in at the beginning of cooking (I'm talking about the 5 minutes variety, not McCann's) sweetens the cereal to the perfect degree.

if only sulfites weren't used so extensively, then I might actually use them more often.

I like Jin's reaction best. LOL

still, I love golden sultanas. everything else is a distant second....

well, everything except for oven-dried tomatoes. but those don't count. :wink:

Cheers,

Soba

Oh, much nicer than fresh fruit. Steep 'em in booze, as wingding says. Prunes in armagnac or cognac will then make a nice stuffing for a veal or pork roast (omit the sugar). The sharper characters, like dried cherries or cranberries will spike up a red wine sauce for duck or turkey. All are good with nuts and a pint or so of port.

OK I have to admit I am a dried fruit freak, I use them mostly as snacks for me and the kids since my husband doesn't care for them, especially in cooked savory dishes! :angry:

Pineapple and mango are some of my newer "discoveries" and my kids devour them.

In Japan fruit chips are also quite popular, fruit slices are completely dried so that they resembles potato chips, they do various fruits and veggies.

a store by my house also sells freeze-dried berries (strawberries and raspberries) that are quite good too.

One of my favorite memories of my grandfather (who passed away 6 months ago) is sitting on his lap after dinner and eating stewed prunes together. :smile:

I don't really enjoy dried fruit on its own, but as a hiker I find it great for trail mix with nuts, spices and other goodies added. With my Cuisinart, I can chop any variety of dried fruit in no time flat (long pulses until it looks right). Trail mix packs easily, provides a steady energy source and balances out the M&M consumption. :laugh:

Here's a link to winning recipes from Backpacker's gorp (trail mix) recipe contest.

Erin

torakris: I love your post about you and your grandfather eating prunes together. What a great memory!

I think this is one of the reasons I love prunes so much! :biggrin:

I love just about any dried fruit. Dates are my current favorite.

Saffy... That cake sounds wonderful. Can you put the recipe in the recipe archive?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I use various dried fruits -- apricots, dates, prunes -- in couscous. I put dried figs in salads. I like to stuff baking apples with chopped dates and nuts, and I've also made a very tasty Jacques Pepin recipe for baked pears that includes chopped apricots. And where, oh, where would we be without prunes for hamantaschen?! Or dried apricots, for that matter. Though currents are o.k., the one dried fruit that I can't tolerate is raisins. But I guess that belongs on the other thread. :hmmm:

Roz, I was hoping someone else would mention couscous. A gussied-up fruity couscous is a wonderful accompaniment to simple plain lamb chops or baked chicken or fish.

And Torakris, you need a new husband :raz: Not liking dried fruit in savory dishes? :shock: Tagines, ooh. Stuffed pork or veal roasts, yes!