• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thermomix

helenas

While I store mine in a pantry, I don't find it to be all that bulky, if that makes any sense.  However, I don't use it as much as I thought I would.  Part of the reason for that,  I suspect, is because I am not very proficient using it.  If you should get one, I would highly recommend taking whatever courses are available to you so as to get the  maximum value out of it.  It does a great job on what I do use it for, particularly risotto.

I just mixed up my second loaf of white sandwich bread this morning in my Thermomix 21.  Like Elsie don't use it as much as I should.   Kerry Beal always brings hers up to Manitoulin in the summer and in the fall and rarely a day goes by that she doesn't use it at least once and sometimes many times.  While I will pull out the stand mixer or the food processor Kerry will use the Thermomix. It has claim to a piece of real estate on the counters and I think that is key. It is not a lightweight piece of equipment to move around  and I suspect if I could spare counterspace for it it would be much more frequently used. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 year later...

So here is a question to the TM owners on the thread here - I have been reading about it for sometime and there are some people in reviews/comments elsewhere that claim that the TM makes food just fine, but not as well as if it was made from scratch, on a stove, etc.  I am not sure I totally understand this - is it because there are temperature discrepancies, etc. that make the TM uneven and unreliable?  I am in the process of moving out of my kitchen I spent years planning and building - it is a good thing - we are moving by choice to another state but I was wondering if the owners have experienced the same "not as good as" end result as some of the reviews.  I don't get it, but maybe there is something I am missing.  I am going to be living in a space that I cannot improve for the next year or 2 and think that the TM might be a good fit - thoughts?  Thanks!

I got mine in 2009 mostly on a whim, because I love appliances that do multiple tasks.

I have not used mine nearly as much as the truly enthusiastic users in Australia and in Europe. 

and in fact, I suggest you join Forum Thermomix

Now to address your particular situation, I have a friend who lives on her boat in a marina and has for years. Because of the limitations of her galley, she had many of her meals ashore.

After I got my TM, she spent some time reading stories on the TM forums and bought one.  She said the initial cost was substantial but she figured it paid for itself in her savings and she was eating better, much less fast food and even being able to invite one or two friends for dinner occasionally.  She got hers in 2010 and is now contemplating buying the new model.

A couple, who have been "snowbirds" for quite a few years, traveling and living in a large motorhome, also bought one in 2010 after stopping by for a visit with me and seeing how mine worked.  They do have a nice kitchen in their rig but the advantage of having a blender, food processor, steamer and scale, not to mention a cooker, all in the same appliance, where storage space is tight, really appealed to them.  They had it shipped to friends with whom they were going to be staying after they left here.  

I still use mine to make butter, almost every week - it is so much faster than other methods.

The risotto has become a regular dish - before I didn't make it because of the stirring (arthritis). 

Prepping and mixing quick breads that require first mashing bananas, pumpkin, squash, other fruits, etc., 

And you can cook and stir something in the jug at the same time something is steaming in the varoma.  

I hope this helps.  if you look at the stories on Forum Thermomix, you will see many more applications - some of those folks are amazing.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, Unpopular Poet said:

So here is a question to the TM owners on the thread here - I have been reading about it for sometime and there are some people in reviews/comments elsewhere that claim that the TM makes food just fine, but not as well as if it was made from scratch, on a stove, etc.  I am not sure I totally understand this - is it because there are temperature discrepancies, etc. that make the TM uneven and unreliable?  I am in the process of moving out of my kitchen I spent years planning and building - it is a good thing - we are moving by choice to another state but I was wondering if the owners have experienced the same "not as good as" end result as some of the reviews.  I don't get it, but maybe there is something I am missing.  I am going to be living in a space that I cannot improve for the next year or 2 and think that the TM might be a good fit - thoughts?  Thanks!

i don't use mine as much as I should and was reminded of it when I saw your post.  So I got up off my duff, pulled it out of the cupboard, and prepared bread dough in it.  It has a scale so I weighed the ingredients into it and the machine kneaded the dough.  About 7 minutes later I had prepared bread dough.  It also works well for risotto.  I also make hot sauce in it (outside in the summer) as I can chuck everything in there, cook it and purée it.  That is mainly what I use it for and it works like a charm.

• Like 1