• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thermomix

helenas

I wonder what the price is :hmmm: ?

Edit: $769 :wacko:

For that much you could buy a Kitchen Aid Mixer, Food Processor, Blender, Rice Cooker, and a Crock Pot

You threw away an $800 machine? :shock:

Rice pie is nice.

This was before Ebay

Yes, I threw it away, after it had taken up shed space for some years. I tried giving it away, but no takers.

I guess it was a previous model, in brown and cream. I remember it was quite expensive, but nothing like $800.

It was basically a liquidiser with a built-in heating plate. It was claimed you could make better sauces, like hollandaise because of the more accurate temperature control. Not for me, and besides the amount of hollandaise we made did not justify it.

This reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live routine...

"It's a floor wax!!! It's a dessert topping!!!! It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!!!! :laugh:

The more "stuff" an appliance claims to do, the less I believe it. Does it walk the dog and empty the dishwasher too???

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 6 years later...

Hi I've got the TM21 model second hand, but the blades are a bit blunt. Is there anyway to sharpen the blades, they are supposed to be 'self-sharpening', but to get them sharp from the current condition seems impossible.

Or do I have to buy blades?

Hi I've got the TM21 model second hand, but the blades are a bit blunt. Is there anyway to sharpen the blades, they are supposed to be 'self-sharpening', but to get them sharp from the current condition seems impossible.

Or do I have to buy blades?

I'd probably buy a new blade. Looks like various vendors on e-bay have them for a more or less reasonable price. Or you could contact the distributor.

Was that the TM21 from Craigslist?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I used Thermomix while cooking in Paris. It was the most amazing tool in my station. In patisserie, we made (pecan) creme brulee as well as anglaise and custard bases. In garde manger we made hot soups to order, warm emulsions, etc. A great tool.

Edited by Timh (log)

• 11 months later...

For folks in the New York area, there is a TM31 listed on

Craig's List

The price is about $200.00 more than it costs when purchased from the Canadian vendor who sells to the US.

It is a Euro model but the seller is including a transformer so it can be used on US electrical current.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

i have a thermomix (tm31) and it's the best thing ever - it's the most used appliance in my kitchen. i use it to knead all my doughs, and find it invaluable for making all my egg based sauces and custards without the egg curdling because i have temperature control. it is also the best blender i have ever used - great control and power.

i could go on for ages about what i use it for (soups, risottos, pasta, sorbet...), but i think it is something which should be revisited before it is judged.

I just found out about Thermomix and a little excited about seeing it in action once we move to Australia. I know there are lots this machine can do, but I still wonder how practical it is in everyday cooking. And I really wonder if it can truly replace all the other machines. I just don't know enough about the machine to know. So here are some questions I have regarding replacing the following machines.

Stand mixer - ok, the Thermomix can knead dough. But can it whisk (making marshmallow) or blend (as in adding chocolate chips to cookies) without using the cutting blade.

Food processor - I know it can dice, but what about shredding or slicing vegetables?

Slow cooker - the main concern here is the size. How large a piece of meat can it handle for things pot roast, pull pork, etc.? I like to make oxtail stock in my slow cooker as well but how many pieces of them can Thermomix hold?

Rice cooker - does it really cook rice? I'm not talking about risotto, just plain rice.

The Kenwood Cooking Chef though looks quite promising. May take care of the stuff I just mentioned above. What about sou vide? I want to make sou vide eggs!

• 3 months later...

And now, for the individualist, comes the Pimp your Thermomix 31 decor.

This was posted on ForumThermomix today and I just couldn't resist passing it on.

P.S. Two years ago I purchased the "Flames" decals for my KA but still have not gotten around to applying them.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

And now, for the individualist, comes the Pimp your Thermomix 31 decor.

This was posted on ForumThermomix today and I just couldn't resist passing it on.

P.S. Two years ago I purchased the "Flames" decals for my KA but still have not gotten around to applying them.

I've seen the much more sedate decals - there are some fabulous ones on that site!

Oooh!! I want some for my MyCook! And my juicer. And my deep fryer. And ... and ... [collapses, frothing at mouth]

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 1 month later...

One of the Thermomix consultants from Perth, Australia is attending a conference in Dubai and posted about it at ForumThermomix.

I'm posting here because she has news that a new Asian cookbook for Thermomix will be available in May.

So this is a heads-up to Thermomix fans.

Hello from Dubai

One of the Thermomix consultants from Perth, Australia is attending a conference in Dubai and posted about it at ForumThermomix.

I'm posting here because she has news that a new Asian cookbook for Thermomix will be available in May.

So this is a heads-up to Thermomix fans.

Hello from Dubai

A conference in Dubai would be a treat! We'll have to watch out for the new cookbook.

I had a husband and wife and their friend come over today to see what the TMX could do. My SIL brought her unit over so in less than 3 hours we made bread, caldo verde, red thai curry, black garlic and mushroom risotto and semolina pudding. They'll be picking up their new one next week.

Could someone help me grok what a Thermomix is. After reading some of the descriptive text about it in their page: http://www.vorwerk.com/thermomix/html/thermomix_tm31.html , I'm at a loss.

"... TM 31 prepares dishes, also time-consuming, easier and faster than you are accustomed of the traditional cuisine. The several times patented all-in-one-concept of the Thermomix allows weighing, cutting, chaffing, kneading, stirring and heating - in one pot. Create tasty meals and even complete menus with the aid of one tool, do it without accessories. By the way: Thermomix TM 31 nearly cleans itself ..."

The more I read, the less I understand. Why couldn't they show what it does, illustrate the mechanism, and demonstrate how it works? Were it not for the credibility of the folks at egullet who speak well of them, I'd pass it by as a complete scam or a joke. All manner of extravagant claims with no explanation whatsoever. How can any tool do all that without getting in one's way all the time? It sounds like a cookpot with a food processor, a scale, a stove and a servant spinning around in it. I'm wary of complex do-everything Swiss Army Knife-ey gadgets. They have a reputation for overpromising and underdelivering.