• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FoodTV: Date Plate

Rail Paul

FoodTV's latest effort, Date Plate, debuts tonight. Hallie is wooed by two men she's never met. They cook for her, and seek her heart (etc).

Sample items tonight are Hunka Hunka Burnin Love Lamb Chops, crepes with orange Zest, Monkfish in crazy water. Chefs Cat Cora and Daisuke Utagawa will advise the Lotharios on the finer points of cooking. Who will she choose?

Debuts at 930pm ET.

Date Plate

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

FoodTV's latest effort, Date Plate, debuts tonight. Hallie is wooed by two men she's never met. They cook for her, and seek her heart (etc).

Sample items tonight are Hunka Hunka Burnin Love Lamb Chops, crepes with orange Zest, Monkfish in crazy water. Chefs Cat Cora and Daisuke Utagawa will advise the Lotharios on the finer points of cooking.  Who will she choose?

Debuts at 930pm ET.

Date Plate

You're playing right into their hands. Resist the urge to watch this crap....

FoodTV's latest effort, Date Plate, debuts tonight. Hallie is wooed by two men she's never met. They cook her, and seek her heart.

Mr. Goodbar.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm actually watching Date Plate right now. Well, it's not significantly stupider (so far) than some other FTV shows, for what it's worth.

And this is definitely not the goofiest blind dating show. All that's involved is a pair of meals. Compare that to HGTV's Love By Design, where a person chooses one of three potential dates based on their apartments' decor, and then goes over to redecorate a room in the chosen date's apartment. The hell?

(please let me state for the record that I'm only watching Date Plate because it was on after Alton, and the show started before I could dig the remote out from underneath a sleeping cat)

Oh come on! This has to be better than How to Marry a Millionaire, or any of the other Fox TV "reality", or recent Bachelor and Bachelorette thinly veiled prostitution scams. At least you know they can COOK (crucial information) and they aren't golddiggers!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My 2 cents for what it's worth....

I watched Date Plate last night just because of the messages on this site... I figured it was a dirty job but someone had to do it and I was up to the challenge...

I corralled my poor unsuspecting husband into watching it with me. At the outset I predicted the winner.... My husband accused me of cheating... I admitted I had read the recipes ahead of time.... and the flowers did it for me... I don't care how good lamb and crepes are, that a man would put edible flowers in a dish is the height of romance.... So, alas, the show was predictable...

I think the idea of Date Plate is actually fun...imagine if you were the one that two people were trying to impress by cooking for you... its way cool.... but that's real life... as tv, the show blows.... its that simple... :cool:

I watched it, also. It was tacky, but cute. Won't win any Emmys, and the acting wouldn't scare Jeremy Irons or Daniel Day-Lewis.

Hallie, the date, seemed like an interesting person. Graphic artist by day, sculptor of butts / painter of murals in the evening. Set out a lot of clues in her video. The guys had to do a meal for under $50. Each guy was paired with a chef who advised, helped.

The winning Romeo created a dessert of poached pear halves in a red wine reduction. The pears were sculpted to resemble butt cheeks. That probably sums it up pretty well. Everybody was a good sport.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I think (and this is just my opinion!) that Date plate is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of. I've never watched How to marry a millionaire, Joe Millionaire, the Bachelor, or the Bachelorette. Never have, and never will. A hoard of wild monkeys couldn't make me watch. Where's the fun in watching two people go out on a date?

The fact that they've added cooking/food to the televised date concept is disgusting.

Can't anyone have an original idea any more? Just one more program that I'll be actively avoiding...

:sad:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Where's the fun in watching two people go out on a date?

The dating part wasn't actually shown. Most of the show was of the two guys cooking and getting cooking tips from two chefs/coaches (Cat Cora and someone else). Then, their meals were judged by the bachelorette and she and the winning cook "won" a dinner for two at Nyla. Only still photos were shown of the actual date.

I watched it (come on - I was bored). The begining was interesting. They went over what dishes they were going to prepare and the chefs provided ideas of things that work well together, flavor profiles, shopping tips, etc... Then it went down hill. The actual cooking didn't play that big of a role in the show - no real advice or tips in the kitchen were provided by the chefs. The final segment seemed rushed - the finished dishes got less than 5 seconds of air time. The critique was poor - she just said everything was good.

The two guys were pretty lame - They tried too hard to be funny and acted a little to cool for school. The girl was hot and would be fun to drink with, but I have the feeling that after awhile she would be annoying and probably turn psycho.

johnjohn

I watched it against my better jusgement, and I have to say it wasn't what I thought it would be. The date aspect really seemed to take a back seat to the cooking competition aspect of the show, which is as it should be. It's nothing I would go out of my way to see, but I don't think I would avoid it if it was comingon and I had nothing better to do with my time either. FoodTV needs more competition based shows, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone see this last night?

The woman was a vegetarian and she didn't tell the two guys. They made her scallops and halibut and she wouldn't touch either of them. In fact, I don't think she ate more than 4 bites of both meals. Bizzare, why have someone on a food show who doesn't like food :wacko: ?

vegetarians don't like food?  :blink:

on another note, it was the first time i saw this show.  it wasn't horrible.  there are plenty of worse shows out there, some on tvfn.

Date Plate would be a great fit for say perhaps The Playboy Channel. I watched it last night for the first time. Jesus, the only saving grace was watching those two hunks of meat preparing fish dishes when all along the chick was telling the host that she didn't eat fish. Talk about egg on your face. I'm waiting for a Date Plate that pits homeless guys against each other for the hand of Paula Deen.

Did anyone see this last night?

The woman was a vegetarian and she didn't tell the two guys. They made her scallops and halibut and she wouldn't touch either of them. In fact, I don't think she ate more than 4 bites of both meals. Bizzare, why have someone on a food show who doesn't like food :wacko: ?

I did not see it but it sounds pretty bad!!! I mean if she is a vegetarian the poor two guys should be told that instead of wasting a perfect protein filled meal on her.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I'm waiting for a Date Plate that pits homeless guys against each other for the hand of Paula Deen.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Man that woman is SO ANNOYING.....she once made "homemade" biscuits by adding cream cheese to Bisquick. I think I even prefer R. Ray better.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog