• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Smoking Ban

Jaymes

jesus, that's been obvious since they even suggested the law.  i'm wondering if the city, in all of their wisdom, has a plan for this.  my guess is "no."  the smokers and their poison are no longer the problem of the patrons and the barstaff.  they are now the problem of the people trying to sleep.

And to make an even more obvious point, the problem will be much exacerbated by the belated improvement in the weather.

a bouncer was stabbed and killed last night while apparently trying to get 2 guys to stop smoking in a bar in manhattan.

details, of course, will most likely never be known.  pass judgment as you see fit, if you see fit.

tommy,

What? Who killed him? The smokers?

:sad:

There's a longish article in today's NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/14/nyregion/14STAB.html

a bouncer was stabbed and killed last night while apparently trying to get 2 guys to stop smoking in a bar in manhattan.

details, of course, will most likely never be known.  pass judgment as you see fit, if you see fit.

tommy,

What? Who killed him? The smokers?

:sad:

Quite clearly, another secondhand smoking related homicide.

It looks like we will be making our trip to NY the weekend of May 2-4 (my birthday!) since our trip a couple of months ago got cancelled due to the war. We will likely dine at 21 and we are trying to get into Lugers.

I know the smoking ban has gone into effect.. Does it affect bars too? Outside patios?

thanks!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

It looks like we will be making our trip to NY the weekend of May 2-4 (my birthday!) since our trip a couple of months ago got cancelled due to the war.  We will likely dine at 21 and we are trying to get into Lugers.

I know the smoking ban has gone into effect..    Does it affect bars too?  Outside patios?

thanks!

can't speak for luger's, but you'll be hard-pressed to find a bar that allows smoking. there are, however, a few, which might have been mentioned in this thread.

get used to the sidewalk! :biggrin:

I was at a restaurant in Soho on Sunday afternoon. They turned a blind eye on patrons who carried their drinks out to the sidewalk in order to smoke--a risky business in broad daylight, but then the French owner has always been a rebel.

Sidewalk cafes, on the other hand, are allowed to allot 25% of their table to smoking(I think).

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

I was at a restaurant in Soho on Sunday afternoon.  They turned a blind eye on patrons who carried their drinks out to the sidewalk in order to smoke--a risky business in broad daylight, but then the French owner has always been a rebel.

Sidewalk cafes, on the other hand, are allowed to allot 25% of their table to smoking(I think).

Well I'm not interested in breaking the law :biggrin: but a sidewalk cafe if it's nice out would be a nice option. I'm quite used to the sidewalk thanks Tommy, given the stringent smoking bylaws in my own town. :sad: Even we allow outdoor patios to have smoking.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Reasons I absolutely LOVE the smoking ban:

1.) I just LOVE getting hit with that EXTRA HEAVY wave of smoke whenever I walk in or out of a doorway. Thanks to the smoking ban, and all of the extra people lurking in doorways, now my pleasure in this department has been nicely enhanced. And its EXTRA special whenever I'm waiting to be seated.

2.) I love the new relaxed state of people in NYC bars. They are so tension-free and easy going now. Its a pleasant change from all of those years, when you'd walk into a bar and see people with ciggies in their mouths only PRETENDING to be relaxed.

3.) Extra snacks at the bar: Okay, follow this logic... people aren't smoking, so they have to do something with their mouths. I've noticed a lot more complimentary snacks. Also, since there are less people at the bar, there are fewer people to share with. MORE PEANUTS FOR ME!

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Latest news from the front line is that this is a tedious business for bar staff, who, even if they don't get stabbed, get resentment from customers.  Deciding to tell someone to put it out can also, some bar staff feel, threaten their gratuity.  The other problem being experienced at bars which open late in residential areas is neighbors complaining about the smokers who stand out in the street conducting conversations in the early hours of the morning.

i live on macdougal st, between minetta tavern and off the wagon,,,, i thought it was bad enough to have people screaming in line all night watiing ito get into cafe wha, but this is worse, which isnt to say that i dont liked the smoking ban, because i actually ADORE it, my dry cleaning bills are down and i dont have congested sinuses ,,,,why cant smokers jus smoke at home, oh yea, thats right, they dont want to stink up their own houses, but they ll do it everywhere else,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :angry:

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

,,,,why cant smokers jus smoke at home, oh yea, thats right, they dont want to stink up their own houses, but they ll do it everywhere else,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :angry:

you don't honestly think that smokers don't smoke at home but rather smoke elsewhere so as to not stink up their homes, do you? :unsure:

Edited by tommy (log)

,,,,why cant smokers jus smoke at home, oh yea, thats right, they dont want to stink up their own houses, but they ll do it everywhere else,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :angry:

you don't honestly think that smokers don't smoke at home but rather smoke elsewhere so as to not stink up their homes, do you? :unsure:

well, smokers i know have told me this, so well, yeah some do i m sure :biggrin:

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

dine-n-dash is so, like, yesterday.

a new twist here.

"Bar and restaurant owners say some customers are taking advantage of the new ban on smoking in city bars, grills and pubs by ordering, drinking, excusing themselves for an outdoor cigarette - and then skipping out without paying their bill."

spliff and split?

light and flight?

you don't honestly think that smokers don't smoke at home but rather smoke elsewhere so as to not stink up their homes, do you?  :unsure:

well, smokers i know have told me this, so well, yeah some do i m sure :biggrin:

I'm one of those. When I smoked, I didn't smoke in my apartment or car, because I didn't want them to smell like smoke. :blush:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I know you can't smoke, but are you still allowed to burn?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I smoke everywhere. And nonsmokers don't mind mooching a ride in my car or coming to dinner at my house. Plus, when there's some serious drinking going on, they smoke half my pack. In their non-smoking homes.

The part about dry cleaning is true, though.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I try not to smoke at home. Except, seeing as how my addiction already displays a certain lack of will power, I break the rule every winter.

I don't think it's all that illogical though - it's not like I bathe and sleep in restaurants either ...... that's the difference.

In any case, my friends call me the "Polite Smoker" .... whatever that means. I guess, they don't mind being around me or in my apartment.

my friends call me the "Polite Smoker" .... whatever that means. I guess, they don't mind being around me or in my apartment.

Yes, dear, exactly. They love being around you and in your appartment.

I, God help me, am very tired of being the Polite Smoker. At a party at my parents my Mother (ex smoker) got really angry when she saw a 70 year old friend of hers sneaking a smoke in frigid March Ottawa, while twenty something great nieces weighed in about the Evils of Tobacco in the cozy warm living room.

I will stop ranting here.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

No no rant away, Maggie.

I think, very very shortly, us smokers will need ranters and support groups. Maybe they'll give us our own country. You could be president. I'll be Minister of Decorum and Politesse.

:raz:

Just got back from London where, blissfully, they still smoke everywhere. And I mean, everywhere.

Was in a pub on the Thames and noticed that the ashtray had dissapeared. So I went to the bartender and asked for one. He said, with what I think was a pitying look:

You're smoking in the largest ashtray in the world, sweetheart. Tap anywhere. Just try not to burn the place down, it is, after all, 300 years old.

:laugh:

You're smoking in the largest ashtray in the world, sweetheart. Tap anywhere. Just try not to burn the place down, it is, after all, 300 years old.

:laugh:

Yeah, ain't pubs great?

But twice this year, at non smoking places in LA and Toronto, a sympathetic bartender pulled out an ashtray and said "Don't worry ma'am."

Maybe because I was so obviously enjoying the moment? Eating and drinking and laughing? Adding value to their proper dining room?

For awhile at least, in Chicago,we can still smoke in the bar.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com