• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PB&J Day: Today

Elissa

I tasted peanut butter for the first time when I moved to the US. And loved it.

I tasted a PB&J for the first time a few years after that. And loved it.

Two nights ago, I loosely followed instructions for burre blanc using balsamic vinegar instead of wine and smooth peanut butter instead of butter and finally threw in some coconut milk for good measure. The texture of the sauce was wonderful. I served it over rice noodles and flash fried spring onions and red chillies. Garnished with cilantro. I will certainly be making that again with variation experiments.

peanut burger? :blink:

It really is good. The peanut butter taste really is not apparent. Just a lovely nutty taste to the meat when it's grilled. But I swear, it doesn't taste like peanut butter. Trust me, just like the Miracle Whip in the potato salad recipe. :smile:

Surely you jest. A hamburger with peanut butter??? I can hardly imagine anything more horrid. But then again I'm not much of a potato salad fan either. Chunky roasted cashew butter licked from a lover's finger: that's something I could get with :raz: but my tummy's in jumble from the peanut burger concept. Must be time to retire...Does eGullet membership come with a 401K?

The old saying "don't knock what you haven't tried" comes to mind. :biggrin: However, I realize it's a stretch to conceive of this :wink:

I don't think it's a stretch at all, Marlene! Peanut butter is famous as a thickener in chili, for instance; it does indeed impart a dimension to the finished dish, but isn't readily identifiable as a specific ingredient. It provides a depth, an intangible "something" nonetheless.

So count me in as someone who would love your father's recipe. Feel free to PM me when you post it. :smile:

My father had an amazing recipe for peanut burgers using smooth peanut butter.  One day when I have time, I'll post the recipe

I can see this. Of course it all depends upon proportions...

Wrapped in rice paper with fresh coriander and siracha it would obviously be great.

But as a burger, with raw and fried red onions and Dijon mustard, it could also be great.

Post it here please, Marlene.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Here is a recipe for Peanut Butter Burgers.

Ok, you asked for it.  A really spicy mustard works well with these and of course, fried onions!

Thanks, Marlene! I'm going to give the burgers a try this weekend, and I'll most definitely trot out a good, spicy mustard along with some of my olallieberry condiment.

Oh, yes -- gotta fry up those onions too!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, you asked for it.  A really spicy mustard works well with these and of course, fried onions!

recalling thai beef sate i eat my hat because of prior reticence

:smile:

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Did you make them?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Did you make them?

only in my mind :rolleyes:

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Did you make them?

Ooh, ooh -- Marlene, that reminds me: I made the burgers while you were in Mexico (isn't that where you were?), and I meant to let you know that they were truly awesome!!! Really, really, really tasty!! Now that I've tasted them, I doubt I shall make burgers any other way in the future . . . :smile::smile:

And as you said, they were great served with spicy mustard and fried onions -- and with my homemade olallieberry condiment.

Thanks again for the recipe.

Did you make them?

Ooh, ooh -- Marlene, that reminds me: I made the burgers while you were in Mexico (isn't that where you were?), and I meant to let you know that they were truly awesome!!! Really, really, really tasty!! Now that I've tasted them, I doubt I shall make burgers any other way in the future . . . :smile::smile:

And as you said, they were great served with spicy mustard and fried onions -- and with my homemade olallieberry condiment.

Thanks again for the recipe.

I'm so glad you liked them. It is a bit different to conceive of. Kind of like my potato salad with miracle whip. :biggrin:

Marlene

Well I'll be damned.

Screw it.  I'm trying them tonight, Marlene.

Go for it Pixelchef! Let me know how they are.

Marlene

Damn, they really were good! Wow.

I'm not going to go so far as to say I'll make burgers like that all the time, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to do it again for something different. They were really quite tasty. There is a nutty flavour, but it doesn't taste like you're eating peanut butter spread on some ground beef. It's pretty subtle. It's nice with something spicy, for sure. I added a chopped jalapeno to the recipe and topped it with red onion, and a homemade chipotle BBQ sauce.

Thanks Marlene!