• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PB&J Day: Today

Elissa

What's to celebrate about mashed peanuts and preserves slathered on (week old?) sliced bread? I don't rightly know, but today's the day to put aside your qualms and embrace the glory of pb&j. Included: a recipe for peanut butter burritos, in case you haven't eaten yet, or dont have morning sickness. This press release explains that today's high holy PB&J Day kicks off Peanut Month. While I prefer almonds and cashews, even pumpkin seeds, I have enjoyed peanuts prepared in this way:

for 5 cups-

1 T olive oil

1T seasoned salt

1 t sugar

1/2 t cayenne

2 c shelled peanuts

1 c whole blanched almonds

1 c cashews

1 c shelled pumpkin seeds

preheat > 400 degrees / mix oil etc together and pour over the nuts, mix well. Divide onto 2 baking sheets. Bake 15 to 20 min stirring twice until light brown.

You?

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

I'd contend that there is an enormous difference between the worst and the best PB&J sandwiches I've ever had.

Fresh peanut or almond butter--right out of the masher--without added sugar. Preserves, with mixed fruit, and cane sugar instead of corn syrup. FRESH bread--thick or thin doesn't matter as much as the fact that its got to be kind of dense and full bodied.

Versus "Jif" and "Smuckers". Eeew.

There used to be a neat little PB&J "restaurant" in Greenwich Village called Peanut Butter & Co which explored this theme to extremes.

Actually... wait.. thanks to the power of Google, here's an article.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I didn't realize the significance when I slathered some PB on my toast this morning (with a glass of OJ, one of the best breakfasts ever).

We've always used Adams PB, just peanuts and salt. You need to keep it the refrigerator so the oil doesn't separate, but it stays reasonably spreadable.

If all you've ever had are the commercial, hydrogenated, sewwetened PBs like Jiff, try Adams (and I'm in the chunky camp).

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Not being an American, I prefer my PB&J lubricated with mayo, or even better Heinz's Original Sandwich Spread..

It also helps if you spread the bread with Marmite first.

Thus the definitive PB&J is

Jam: home-made grape jelly or high fruit raspberry. Some hertics like Marmelade

Sandwich Spread

Peanut Butter (crunchy, organic, no sugar)

Marmite

Sourdough bread

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Why's it a big deal if the oil separates?  You can always mix it back in. 

It's not too bad with the quart-sized jars we get now. Back when all four boys were home and we made them PB&J for lunch every day, we'd get gallon jars at Costco.

If they've been sitting around for long, the bottom layer of oil-free PB was hard as rock. So I'd have to dig deep into that jar (through the inch or so of oil at the top) and break that bottom layer free. Then I mixed for a good 15 minutes before the stuff was homogenous. I broke a couple of wooden spoons stirring the PB.

So there's that fond memory, and I try to avoid any unnecessary work first thing in the morning.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I love Jif.  In honor of PB&J day, I'm going to go eat a big bite of it right now.  With a knife.

I concur. Jif is great, as is Peter Pan.

Of course, Jif had a much sexier spokesperson.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Here is a recipe for Peanuts.

Added this to the recipe archive. (vengroff, you've created a monster. at some point, I gotta sleep :biggrin: )

My father had an amazing recipe for peanut burgers using smooth peanut butter. One day when I have time, I'll post the recipe

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My father had an amazing recipe for peanut burgers using smooth peanut butter. One day when I have time, I'll post the recipe

Please dont. :laugh:

fine, be that way/ :biggrin:

Marlene

peanut burger? :blink:

It really is good. The peanut butter taste really is not apparent. Just a lovely nutty taste to the meat when it's grilled. But I swear, it doesn't taste like peanut butter. Trust me, just like the Miracle Whip in the potato salad recipe. :smile:

Marlene

Of course, Jif had a much sexier spokesperson.

Who was that? Jif?

awbrig, youre not THAT young. Annette Funicello.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

you know, on second thought, it might be Skippy..

EDIT: Yep, Skippy.

So who was the Jif spokesperson? Was it Florence Henderson?

It really is good. The peanut butter taste really is not apparent. Just a lovely nutty taste to the meat when it's grilled. But I swear, it doesn't taste like peanut butter. Trust me, just like the Miracle Whip in the potato salad recipe. :smile:

Surely you jest. A hamburger with peanut butter??? I can hardly imagine anything more horrid. But then again I'm not much of a potato salad fan either. Chunky roasted cashew butter licked from a lover's finger: that's something I could get with :raz: but my tummy's in jumble from the peanut burger concept. Must be time to retire...Does eGullet membership come with a 401K?

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

So who was the Jif spokesperson? Was it Florence Henderson?

The Answer:

http://www.kellogg.nwu.edu/faculty/sternth.../module3/8.html

My God, this is more than I ever wanted to know about Peanut Butter Demographics.

Surely you jest. A hamburger with peanut butter??? I can hardly imagine anything more horrid. But then again I'm not much of a potato salad fan either. Chunky roasted cashew butter licked from a lover's finger: that's something I could get with :raz: but my tummy's in jumble from the peanut burger concept. Must be time to retire...Does eGullet membership come with a 401K?

The old saying "don't knock what you haven't tried" comes to mind. :biggrin: However, I realize it's a stretch to conceive of this :wink:

Marlene

There is of couse the classic Elvis sandwich, which is a fried sandwich of peanut butter, banana and bacon.