• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in South Orange

wmcnair

I recently moved to South Orange and am not familiar with dining options in the area. Can anyone recommend must visit (or, alternatively, avoid) restaurants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, in all price ranges and all cuisines? Thanks for your help.

welcome aboard...

One place mentioned occasionally is VerJus, upscale fish and meat. Springfield Ave in Maplewood, just east of Prospect St. (Prospect Street starts at South Orange Avenue and runs south to Springfield Avenue.)

Mentioned more frequently are Joycelene's and American Fare, both in Maplewood center. A quick search will pull the threads.

For more casual fare, Gaslight on west south orange avenue (just past the train trestle) has freshly brewed beer and good food. Niecey's on Vose Avenue has been well described, but I've not yet visited. Toro Loco and Cryan's are OK, and are open late.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Don't forget Bunnies for a bar serving thin crust pizza, although i like it b/c they sell pitchers of beer. All bars should sell pitchers. Rachel, i think Gary's is what is now Verjus, although they have no resemblance to each other. Agree with the Verjus and American Fare reccomendations. Toro Loco is serviceable mexican food, and Cryan's is a bar that doubles as an irish steakhouse. Thursday night is karaoke night if i remember correctly(at Cryans), and i think there's live music thurs nights at toro loco(free chips and salsa in the bar). If you're just looking for a slice of pizza or a sandwich, there's Roman Gourmet in maplewood village that sells good slices. Around the corner from RG is the Trattoria(either Village or Maplewood, can't remember), actually i ate there last night. had manhattan clam chowder and a cheesteak w/onions. They make some very good chicken penne vodka though. I live in South Orange, so if you have any more specific questions feel free to PM me.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long