• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Ginseng Chicken (Samgyetang)

I mentioned this in the Korean foods thread, and have remembered its name: samgyetang.

It is a wonderful soup made with chicken, glutinous rice, ginseng, jujubes(red asian dates) and some garlic and it a tradional summer dish, normally served during sambok (the 3 hottest days of summer in Korea).

I had this in a restaurant in the Korean part of Tokyo just a month ago and it was soo wonderful!

It is so easy to make at home, yet I always end up ordering at restaurants instead :wink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Waaaaay back? Still is.

This sounds like a very Cantonese dish imported to Korea.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I've had a dish like this but I forget what it was called. I think it was in Taiwan and I'm sure it was a Cantonese place. There were dipping bowls of salt mixed with white pepper. Prawn crisps too, I think.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

a quick search of various rcipes on the internet, shows various ways of eating it

no condiments

salt

salt and pepper

salt pepper and sesame seeds

so I guess it is up to you.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 4 weeks later...
I've avoided dishes with ginseng because I heard it raises blood pressure. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

I can do neither . However, eons ago, a certain room-mate of mine insisted that having it in tea or at dinner - enhanced one's abilities later during the night :smile:

I have taken ginseng tablets to combat jet-lag and associated fatigue. You know there are different kinds of ginseng too .....

anil

With the asian medicine my doctor has told me that people can't all eat the same things. There are many kinds of ginseng. THe use for American ginseng is different than for wild ginseng or for Korean ginseng. Sort of like supplements. My doctor never recommends people going to the Chinese herbal shop and just going on a buying spree, because you take the wrong thing it could cause more harm...