• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate

Orange

Raspberry

Lemon

Cherry

Black or cayenne pepper

Lavender

Earl Grey Tea

Hazelnuts

Macadamia nuts

Almonds

Pistachios

Ginger

Peanuts

Bananas

Praline

Caramel

Vanilla

Honey

Coconut

Raisins

Prunes

Corn Flakes

Rice Crispies

Ruby Port

Coffee

Cinnamon

Cardamon

Marshmallow

Malt

Rum

Whisky

Has anyone tried Vosges chocolates? They make awesome truffles with different spices and other flavors: cayenne, wasabi, jasmine... really wonderful.

In depth. Im glad I found someone besides me that likes them...Do a search...

The cayenne is fab- I love chocolate and chilis. We used to order a chocolate and jalapeno sauce from my fave hot sauce source.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

on the whole, i dislike it in combination with other things similarly sweet or bitter, like coffee or brandy. there has to be contrast in temperature, acidity, texture etc., like with tea,or as hot chokolate with whipped cream, or as warm chokolate cake with vanilla ice cream, or - yes - outside very ripe strawberries (with champagne).

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

I'm not a great fan of chocolate and fruits either. I'll eat it, but I think they get in the way of eachother. Not speaking for everyone here.

Chocolate and

Nuts, nut butters

Mint

Coffee

Caramel

Crisp stuff

Nightscotsman seems to have covered the bases.

MALT

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the old classic of Chocolate and Peanut Butter.

That's because it's so central to my existence during times of hormonal instability that I consider it a given, a done deal.

Several folks have mentioned the allure of the chocolate/chile combination; a local chocolate maker here offers a killer chocolate/chipotle chile truffle. It gets me every single time . . . :wub:

Cheese.

I knew I liked you. This is one of the best. Nobody believes me, though.

Chocolate and raspberries

Chocolate and hazelnuts

Chocolate-covered strawberries

Flourless chocolate cakes

Chocolate and almond nougat

But I do think that my favorite chocolate-based dessert is the warm chocolate cake with hot fudge center, with vanilla ice cream, which I allow to melt and soak into the cake before eating it. Alternatively I have been known to pour cream over my chocolate cake.

Jennie

But I do think that my favorite chocolate-based dessert is the warm chocolate cake with hot fudge center, with vanilla ice cream, which I allow to melt and soak into the cake before eating it.  Alternatively I have been known to pour cream over my chocolate cake.

My dad introduced us to pouring milk over cake when we were young. I think it was a Depression-era thing he was raised on. We still offer cake "in a bowl with milk" to other family and friends who think we're nuts, but it's great.

But I do think that my favorite chocolate-based dessert is the warm chocolate cake with hot fudge center, with vanilla ice cream, which I allow to melt and soak into the cake before eating it.  Alternatively I have been known to pour cream over my chocolate cake.

My dad introduced us to pouring milk over cake when we were young. I think it was a Depression-era thing he was raised on. We still offer cake "in a bowl with milk" to other family and friends who think we're nuts, but it's great.

The Depression era story I get from my father in law is about coffee soup--coffee poured over slices of bread in the old bowl.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Cheese.

Thank you.

I like my chocolate and cheese separate but together, in the form of 2 pots fondue.

"Chocolate and Cheese" is also the best Ween record.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Cheese.

Thank you.

I like my chocolate and cheese separate but together, in the form of 2 pots fondue.

"Chocolate and Cheese" is also the best Ween record.

I thought this was a joke! :wink:

Please explain more

what kind of chocolate?

what kind of cheese?

how?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Yeah, I don't think a chocolate and cheese sandwich would be very good.

I actually like *shame* colby and chocolate together pretty well. There's also cheddar, gruyere/comte (if you get a really fruity one this is great). I don't know about chocolate with blue cheese, goat cheese, or any soft cheeses. I'm not entirely sure it would go.

I rarely make fondue at home because I get pretty tired of seeing it at work, so I usually just eat it in the form of dark chocolate (Valrhona 70%) and chunks of cheese.

Of course, this is coming from a person who has occasionally been known to consume, as a "meal" - all separate on the plate, mind - tomato juice, orange juice, Goldfish cheddar crackers, colby cheese, dill pickles, olives, and dark chocolate. :wacko:

Edited to say, if I also have a baguette, the above is ideal. It's all about the balance of flavors, I'm telling you.

Edited by jeniac42 (log)

Jennie

I actually like *shame* colby and chocolate together pretty well.  There's also cheddar, gruyere/comte (if you get a really fruity one this is great).  I don't know about chocolate with blue cheese, goat cheese, or any soft cheeses.  I'm not entirely sure it would go.

There's a recipe for chocolate brownies with Valencay goat's cheese in The Cheese Room by Patricia Michelson. She says the combination came about by accident one day when a crate of Valencay, those beautiful pyramids, arrived at her cheese shop (La Fromagerie in Highbury, London) squashed and she had to think of a way to avoid wasting them. I've never tried it, because I like the cheese too much by itself, but Michelson writes that it is a 'real discovery'.

Has anyone else read Real Chocolate by Chantal Coady yet?(just published in UK)

It includes recipes for chocolate and kidneys;chocolate and duck; chocolate and balsamic vinegar (this last one sounds good, I think, since really good balsamic is almost like chocolate anyway)...

I just watched a segment from Jacques Torres' Valentine's special, where he visits a chocolatier in Paris... Jean Paul Hevin, I believe his name was, and he used several cheeses in his chocolates.