• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

raisins

let us count the ways!

I can't imagine cinnamon rolls with out them

they are an essential ingredient in raisin pie

add a wonderful sweet note to various dishes especially rice dishes both sweet and savory

etc

etc

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Candy Raisins...

fc69526e.jpg

Anyone else ever have them?  If you are from the Midwest you probably have...if not you probably never heard of them....

They kinda taste like soap...but I LOVED em as a kid!  :smile:

What's the difference bwtween candy rasins and rasinettes? no chocolate?

-Eric

What's the difference bwtween candy rasins and rasinettes? no chocolate?

Dude. Huge difference and I need help here on this...Candy Raisins involve no actual raisins at all... :smile: Thank God. Basically they taste like a slightly caramel-soapy soft chewy candy...in a good way :smile:

raisin sauce for ham

Waldorf Salad

plumped with brandy or rum

carrot salad

apple salad

peanut butter & raisin sandwiches

ants on a log

rice pudding

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I love raisins and am hard-pressed to find a recipe they would not improve.

One thing I re-discovered yesterday was the yumminess factor of yogurt coated raisins. I was eating a mess of trail mix -- the usual kind with a myriad of dried fruits and nuts. The highlight of the mix was the smattering of yogurt coated raisins -- just enough to give the dried fruit some oomph.

I love raisins and am hard-pressed to find a recipe they would not improve.

Frites with raisin mayo.

Hamburgers filled with raisins.

Raisin hot dogs.

Osetra caviar and raisins.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Frites with raisin mayo.

The thought of this will haunt me always. I suspect this might be served in outdoor cafes in Hell.

And, even worse, in an effort to one-up raisin mayo, my brain sputtered out "grilled steak with raisin chimichurri!"

Gah.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Raisin and pepperoni pizza,

Raisin stuffed black olives.

Cheese covered raisins.

Raisin filled cheese.

Linguini with a clam and raisin sauce.

Raisin and potato and leek soup.

Otoro with smushed raisins instead of wasabi.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

California Raisins.... gotta love those California raisin men. :cool:

toys11240101a.jpg

The California Raisin site has lots of raisin recipes featured by Chef's like Charlie Trotter, Thomas Keller and others.

Celebrity Chef's Cook with Raisins -- click here for recipes

But I think raisins are best in sweets not savories. :wink:

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

California Raisins....  gotta love those California raisin men.

No. We don't gotta.