• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

freezing

Kim WB

Over the weekend, I made a very delicious ( if I must say so myself!) Murgh Tari. I have some leftover raw ingredients, and I was thinking of picking up more, making a big batch, and freezing it. Is it possible to freeze a dish with the yogurt in it?

Also, I am finding that I prefer the creamier yogurt thickened wet curries..anyone have a favorite vegetarian recipe that with that type of sauce? Is there a generic name for sauces that are thickened with yogurt? ( I am a beginner! )

Thanks in advance.

What is Murg tari??

Do you mean Murg Curry? or "Tarehnwalla Marg". Both belong to the all encompassing category of the so called "CURRY".

can you freeze it? - Yes.

I would suggest to freeze them in smaller batches. With or without yoghurt should not be a problem, the yoghurt is already used up being cooked in the sauce.

Personally, would recommend wihout yoghurt. You can add the yoghurt when heating up the food.

Is thee a generic name for a sauce with yoghurt, I guess Indian food has been massacred to such an extent, it is safe to call all foods Curry - isn't it.

What most will agree, and I won't is that it could be referred as a "khorma" sauce.

Since we do not have a base in Indian foods, we do not have a set of Mother sauces and its derivatives, nor do we have a set of gastronomic rules or a school of thought.

The all encompassing CURRY was devised for the Colonial master, although its origins are probably from Tamil "KARI" which means a meat/veg cooked in a spicy sauce.

Sauces to a large extent are restricted to the Restaurant business and not homes.

:smile:

KimWB, yes, you can indeed freeze it. It is the thawing that you should give some consideration to. If you freeze it with the yoghurt, which should not be the problem, I would consider thawing it in a thick bottomed pot on low flame with some additional liquid in it (like a wee bit of milk perhaps since you have a yoghurt base). It'll take longer than a microwave but I think in the case of yoghurt it's prolly the better way to do it.

Glad you're cooking Indian food.

Here is a link to a thread were I posted another chicken recipe with yoghurt in it. If the link does not work, I believe it is in Indian Menu Planning.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...T&f=40&t=17792&

And there is a whole thread on Youghurt in the Indian section to, although you've probably looked in that.

What is Murg tari??

"Tari" - in UP/Awadhi terminology means gravy -- ( Suvir correct me if I'm wrong it's been decades since ....)

I remember, in my youth folks telling the "bawarchi" to add little more tari in the "katori"

I doubt tari=curry ..... Actually tari=jhol (in bengali)

Edited by anil (log)

anil

• 1 month later...
What is Murg tari??

"Tari" - in UP/Awadhi terminology means gravy -- ( Suvir correct me if I'm wrong it's been decades since ....)

I remember, in my youth folks telling the "bawarchi" to add little more tari in the "katori"

I doubt tari=curry ..... Actually tari=jhol (in bengali)

Anil, this thread has escaped my eyes.

Kim, Tari is indeed the correct word for a sauce.

Anil is right in saying it comes from UP. My fathers family is from UP. And we always said Tari instead of curry. Just as Bengalis would say Jhol.

Did you freeze the tari walee murghi? How did it de-freeze?

If you email me, I will be glad to send you some vegetarian recipes using yogurt. My email is chef@suvir.com