• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Vigneron (Reims)

boris

Looking at a restaurant in Reims (or immediate area) for the night before Les Crayeres with good regional food - not too "fancy-pants"; reasonably priced and varied champagne list a definite asset.

Is Le Vigneron a good choice? How is there wine list priced?

We dined at La Foche a couple of years ago - not that impressive. Have also thought about L' Apostraphe, and Au Petit Comptoir.

Thanks to all for any and all suggestions!

Mark

Boris,

I spent 9 days in Reims last June and visited several

of these spots although I have them slightly blurred I fear.

Anyway, L"Apostrophe is a fine cafe for a bite late in the evening

but I would pass on it for your dinner. I found little else of

interest in that area [which is a walking street]. Especially

poor was the hotel on the corner of that block/ name escapes

me. If Le Vigneron is the restaurant with the mini wine museum,

I very much enjoyed my meal there. Slightly more upscale in ambience

and cuisine is Le Vigneraie, on a side street off of the pedestrian

square above. If you can't find this one in your guide, I'll attempt

to find my notes.

Any plans for your Boyer dinner?

boris,

Check here for my post on Boyer:http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=10&t=11857&hl=boyer

Dishes not to be missed:

Oeufs brouille aux caviar oscietre

Truffle en croute

Salade du Pere Maurice

Wild Roast Duck

Many of their dishes can be ordered as half portions so ask if they will do a split - so much more for you to sample.

PaulaJK,

Thank you for your help. Le Vigneron is the restaurant with the mini wine museum, from what I have read.

I guess my main question; out of the restaurants you mention, do you recall which seemed to have the best/most reasonably priced wine (ie, champagne) list?

Our plans for Boyer is to celebrate life. When we were in Reims 2 years ago, we vowed to come back, and both stay and dine at Boyers. After reading so many great stories on this site and others (esp the report on burkeandwells.com), we finally figured we MUST go. Hell, I'm even looking foreward to the breakfast the next morning.

We will be in Reims the day & night prior, have already settled on our hotel for the first night, and are interested in a restaurant that focuses on regional specialties, with a great champagne list that won't "compete" with the meal the next night at Boyer.

Thanks

Mark :biggrin:

Lizzee,

Oh, no need to tell me about your post. I've read/drooled over it many, many times. I'll have to say that you have already planned much of my meal for me. :laugh:

So many people have noted they stayed for two nights - to be able to afford such opulance!

P.S. We requested the green library room for dinner.

Mark

Edited by boris (log)

la vigneraie is usually a good bet, a solid 2 knife and fork in michelin, nothing brilliant but honest cooking and seems very popular with the locals (if that's a recomendation!). Good selection of set and a la carte menu's

I found au petit comptoir a bit too fashionable, if you want a 'proper' french meal but relatively informal, decent service and decent wine list then you'll not go too far wrong with La vigneraie. I go every visit to champagne.

the address is 11 rue thillois just off the main pedestrianised area, tel 03 26 88 67 27

l'apostrophe is a good lunch/drinking spot but probably not what you are looking for in a night out i suspect.

Enjoy boyer, it's certainly a luxury experience!

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad