• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RICE PUDDING AS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IT

Fat Guy

For those who don't remember, the San Gennaro Festival on Mulberry St. used to be controlled by the Mafia, until they were busted during Giuliani's time in office.

Michael aka "Pan"

Something doesn't "smell" right here... The quote looks funny and not much like a press release... no fooling.

I guess you figured it out first Fifi. Indeed something was "off".

I have to admit that when it passed 6 months I was starting to waiver. There were whispers of "only in New York" in my brain. I'll bet the proprietors had more than a few chuckles along the way. Oh well, he who laughs last. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

For those who don't remember, the San Gennaro Festival on Mulberry St. used to be controlled by the Mafia, until they were busted during Giuliani's time in office.

Actually, this year the organizer was named in the Gotti trial and had to step down as chairmen.. The guy that was named to replace him as the chair was again fingered as a mafia memeber.. So, finally, the third person had no ties..

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry i didn't see this post early on, therefore my comments wouldn't sound l ike jumping on to the bash the rice pudding restaurant brigade.....

a year or two ago went to rice to riches with: daughter, her boyfriend, step daughter. i mention all of these people so that you can understand that we all had different flavors, and also had lots of little tastes too.

i tried the pineapple payoff with basil, i tried everything, and then some, i kept sticking my stylish spoon into my stylish bowl in that stylish and utilitarian space, and couldn't find a flavor worth eating.

each and every mouthful regardless of the flavours (so unmemorable, and i usually remember the flavor of EVERYTHING i eat) and none of us could finish it even though we hadn't had anything to eat in several hours and had been walking walking walking. nothing was delicious! it was all so pretentious! what a shame a good chef was making the initial recipes cause by the time the stuff reached my bowl it was beyond insipid.

needless to say none of us went back, even though daughter and boyfriend live quite close.

i actually felt very angry about it, cause it was a nice design, an interesting concept, but the product itself seemed to have no care or quality gone into it i felt anotiher triumph of PR over substance.

but then, i guess i didn't know what the place was all about. well, i gambled just eating there and did come away feeling like i had been ripped off.

i mean, good rice pudding is a thing of beauty (esp greek rice pudding, oh be still my heart)........this stuff was a travesty.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

• 1 year later...

Starting this topic reminded me about Rice to Riches. It's still open, and I saw a line waiting at the counter when I passed by recently. Does anyone know anything about the current status of the legal proceedings?

Michael aka "Pan"