• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RICE PUDDING AS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IT

Fat Guy

I think it was about five dollars as laurenmilan said. It just seemed about twice the price of an ice cream cone, but I think Ciao Bella gets a pretty high price for an ice cream cone. The older I get the more frequently they raise the prices. How much is one or two scoops at Hagen Daz?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

right now, haagen daz is offering a promo: one scoop purchased before 2pm for $2 (which means it costs more later in the day). i think that's a little excessive since their scoops are smaller than most other ice cream places. besides, you can buy when they're on sale, two pints for five dollars, so bux, you're right. the prices are high.

Maybe I'm used to paying over-inflated prices, but I thought it was a pretty good value. We ordered a small, which contained to two flavors, and there were two of us eating, and we couldn't finish our portion. There was too much.

BTW, I think a cone a Haagen Daz is $2.50.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

One more reason to move to New York.....

Exactly... between this and the array of Cup Cake places. I'm jealous.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Maybe I'm used to paying over-inflated prices, but I thought it was a pretty good value. We ordered a small, which contained to two flavors, and there were two of us eating, and we couldn't finish our portion. There was too much.

BTW, I think a cone a Haagen Daz is $2.50.

Especially considering that, unlike diner rice pudding, this stuff has whipped heavy cream folded into it in the last step...

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

. . . we tried it during the summer. Tasted lots of preciously-named flavors and finally ended up with half-and-half maple and coffee for HWOE, and a full portion of lemon for me. I have to say, they were all excellent, and I could eat the lemon anytime. :wub:

I didn't mention that we ate for several days from each portion. So the cost didn't seem so bad, all told.

And now I know why it was so rich! Makes me glad I didn't try to eat it all at once.

I give it six months, tops.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

7 months and counting.....

If it were classic-style rice pudding, it woulda been closed by now, to be sure. But what they're dishing up is a type of dessert rarely seen outside Eastern European kaffeehauses, which is both comfort food and now, exotic treat, with a wonderful texture and a skilled application and combination of flavor, not unlike the gelaterias that the owner was attempting to imitate.

I'd really love to see it continue on as a flagship store with a successful wholesale business. It's more fulfilling than the vast majority of $5-10 desserts I try in restaurants.

That, and I'm itching for a cookbook :wink:

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

My wife and I wandered in today at 2:00 pm. The place was empty. We shared a Solo (don't say "small.") cinnamon raisin. I would agree that the product is high quality, but for me it was so rich that we could have shared it at least three ways, especially after a meal.

The place itself is totally far out. What do you think they spent to get this thing off the draft board? I don't see these shops multiplying. I think a pudding place, which offered some rice puddings in addition to array of other puddings would have broader appeal. Indeed, while we were eating our rice pudding in the shop, several people came in for a taste and left without ordering anything. One woman even told her friend that she didn't like the rice pudding. These guys must have done some sophisticated market research. But that doesn't guarantee anything.

It's more fulfilling than the vast majority of $5-10 desserts I try in restaurants.

No doubt, but they're not providing the ambience or service of a restaurant. It's basically a take out store. It's one thing to take a quart home, but another to walk away with a single portion that's really more than one person wants to eat. If I'm walking down the street, I might opt for a single portion for even three dollars, but if it's five dollars and it's more than I want, it just seems wasteful. It's a pity they don't have a half size portion for $2.50. It could be sold in a cardboard up instead of designer plastic and possibly be more environmentally sound.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux, you know how Starbuck's actually has a small coffee, but you can only get it if you order a short? Perhaps RTR has a smaller size, but we don't know the proper lingo.

:raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I give it six months, tops.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

7 months and counting.....

That would be a shame, D. Jemal Edwards is a cool guy.

And most importantly, there are wayyyyy too many places struggling/closing across the country. Taking an already odds against anything panning out formula and making it nearly insurmountable.

I hope it all works out for them.

2317/5000

• 1 year later...

Haha! I was right. No way in hell a place like that could survive without constant cash injection.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I hate to laugh at anyone's misfortune, but this is quite funny.

Of course, if it was a normal restaurant it wouldn't have been amusing in the least...but the fact that it was the restaurant that only served rice pudding - thats comedy. You really can't make that kind of stuff up.

Something doesn't "smell" right here... The quote looks funny and not much like a press release... no fooling.

I guess you figured it out first Fifi. Indeed something was "off".

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

In hindsight, the name of the restaurant is pretty funny too... "From Rice to Riches".

A little tongue in cheek, n'est pas?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"