• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Storage

forever_young_ca

40 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm now looking at a dedicated durian knife

Going to assume that it has a built-in deodorant!  

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/17/2021 at 3:46 PM, KennethT said:

I used to store all my knives on a magnetic knife block on the wall , but the new kitchen has almost no usable wall space. I do have an out of the way countertop corner that is unused , so I figured I'd put a knife block there. I think I have about 18 knives (off the top of my head).

In my last, very cramped kitchen, I screwed two magnetic strips parallel to each other on the underside of the wall cabinet above my main prep area. When I moved here, I went to a knife drawer.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 minutes ago, kayb said:

In my last, very cramped kitchen, I screwed two magnetic strips parallel to each other on the underside of the wall cabinet above my main prep area. When I moved here, I went to a knife drawer.

Yikes - I can only imagine what that means.  But I had a magnetic knife block for 15 years - screwed to teh wall, not the underside of a cabinet and had no issues.  I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable working under the knives - especially when they're horizontal, not vertical.

• Like 1

I've got sharp things in a few places. I wouldn't call this anyone's perfect solution to "knife storage." But it is how a number of my knives are "stored."

IMG_4293.thumb.jpeg.1da97b670ad86f166032cb0518c4bf97.jpeg

IMG_4294.thumb.jpeg.ec3ca6d9a888d3fa9242395139d9703f.jpeg

IMG_4295.thumb.jpeg.9922ccad475b7966a7a5b37ad548e320.jpeg

There are a few in knife rolls, and even some in their original boxes as storage. Some fancy Japanese stuff.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ive stored my knife collection

along several MagneBars

and one knife block

I highly recommend  the 

https://www.amazon.com/Wüsthof-7223-30-Wusthof-Magnabar/dp/B0000DJZ6G

Ive used the generics after having two Magna's

and at leaset those generics were just as good.

the knife block had my collection of Globals 

which I now rarely use 

move on to WoodWhole w a friend.

I use Watanabe   and  Granton knives , from Granton GB

w the authentic Granton edge  ( the cavity goes down to the blade edge )

http://www.granton-knives.co.uk

mighty fine collection ( red handles , of course ! )

from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I've got sharp things in a few places. I wouldn't call this anyone's perfect solution to "knife storage." But it is how a number of my knives are "stored."

IMG_4293.thumb.jpeg.1da97b670ad86f166032cb0518c4bf97.jpeg

IMG_4294.thumb.jpeg.ec3ca6d9a888d3fa9242395139d9703f.jpeg

IMG_4295.thumb.jpeg.9922ccad475b7966a7a5b37ad548e320.jpeg

There are a few in knife rolls, and even some in their original boxes as storage. Some fancy Japanese stuff.

Do you like those wood covered magnetic knife blocks?  I feel like they wouldn't hold as strongly as the non-covered ones.

properly made

w the right rare earth magnets 

just behind the central wood stip

the EM are under that strip

if the strip is not too thick

sometimes the magnets are glued in from the back

into a slot that has carefully been routed 

so the front is one pice of weed

any properly done

stronger that magnabar

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Do you like those wood covered magnetic knife blocks?  I feel like they wouldn't hold as strongly as the non-covered ones.

These hold so strongly I'm amazed.

https://www.benchcrafted.com/magblok

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Truth be told, I was more worried about how strongly they would attach to the walls they are attached to. My contractor made sure they're in there forever i think.  The knife inserts inside the drawer, as well as all the inserts wherever I put them, came from here. Many variations available.

image.png.e7360f9f7f71dedd046062a9aed2b3ce.png

https://draweressentials.com/collections/cooking-utensil-10wide-with-10-slot-food-prep-knife-storage-block-combo-insert-collection/knife-block

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 9 months later...

Years ago, I purchased some rare-earth magnet knife strip thingies.  In my mind, it was @rotuts who emphasized the need for the strength of "rare-earth" magnets.  

Well.  I finally had a friend put 'em up. Heavy-use to the left (mostly);  less-use to the right.

IMG_3780.thumb.JPG.894495e2669347ef611ab1613f670bca.JPG

Just in time for the whole new kitchen I need.  In fact, the walnut was bone-dry, I oiled everything good before the drilling.  Sigh.

But.  It's exciting, anyway.  Amidst the dilapidation, and Ikea particle-board decay, and mess.

[And, no.  I certainly do not need three serrated knives.  Two of 'em were supposed to be gifts.  The rest of that is another board, or at least another thread . . . .]

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, SLB said:

Amidst the dilapidation, and Ikea particle-board decay, and mess.

Is that an IKEA wooden countertop?  If so, I had one like that, and it was really one of their better products, bought at least 20 years ago when we first moved in here. I oiled it a lot, and it never had an issue. Had a nice patina, like yours.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Yep, that is the Ikea countertop; and I agree that it's actually a decent product although I would never drop the actual sink into one, which is what the folks who built this kitchen did on the parallel line of this galley. 

The rotting particle-board is the cupboards.  I think it was made to require renovation every decade or so.  Which is against my religion . . . but the truth is, my lower cabinets floors are going to straight-up fail any day now.  

• Like 1

I have a traditional knife block which I keep covered with a shower cap to prevent dust from getting in the slots. It looks funny but I can remove it if someone is coming over.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyalexa said:

I have a traditional knife block which I keep covered with a shower cap to prevent dust from getting in the slots. It looks funny but I can remove it if someone is coming over.  

I never thought of that strategy! In my case, nobody who came over would be surprised if I forgot and left the shower cap on. :) 

• Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, btbyrd said:

We recently had our first child and the knife shrine is no more. But my little boy is adorable and I don't miss those stands, cool though they were.

Kids do have a way of rearranging one's priorities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

For decades I've used a 25 slot Wusthof block.  With today's knife delivery and a heavy heart I realized the time had come.  I ordered a 35 slot block.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For decades I've used a 25 slot Wusthof block.  With today's knife delivery and a heavy heart I realized the time had come.  I ordered a 35 slot block.

I am pretty sure you live alone most of the time but for the rest of them and their knife collections I sure hope they have got conflict resolution down to a fine art. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My new knife block arrived on schedule.  I moved the older knife block to the living room, along with an assortment of my less used knives.  So far so good.  For the first time I can arrange all my cheese knives in one location.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou