• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Storage

forever_young_ca

I use a magnetic strip for my most used knives. For those that see less use I store them in a ballistic nylon knife roll which I also use to transport my cutlery when I’m cooking in someone else’s kitchen. I also have a rotating holder that I’ve mounted under one of my kitchen cabinets. Between the magnetic strip, the rotating holder and the roll I have safe and convenient storage for almost all my cutlery. The big advantage to the magnetic strip, for me, is the fact all the blades are completely visible. It used to bug me that some of my knives have identical handles so blocks don’t work so well. I’m also careful when putting a knife back on the strip to lay the spine on first, then gently lower the edge so as not to deform it. My 12-inch chefs knife just barely fits the roll and won't fit the rotating holder but is just fine on the magnetic strip. And the strip is mounted about 6 feet above the floor level, over the sink so it's out of the way of little children. Important!

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

I think my preferred method would be a metal strip. However, I don't have the wall space in my kitchen, so am debating FG's strip method attached to my free standing butcher block. Just debating how good my DIY skills are!

:unsure::unsure:

Life is short, eat dessert first

I have a ludicrously expensive knife 'block', bought in a fit of insanity, which has turned out to be worth its weight in gold. It is from a Danish designer, brand name Eva Solo here it is. A metal outer case (aluminium?) like a rectangular box with no top and bottom, houses a removable concertina-like plastic insert into which the knives slide. Mine is plain box-shaped, so the knives stand vertically and the blades don't rest on the plastic. They also do a slanted version, shaped more like a conventional knife block, which I dislike - it takes up too much space on the counter and then the blades are resting on the plastic insert. There is room for umpteen knives - far more than a normal block, I keep it on the sink drainer so that wet knives drain straight through. When I take the plastic inserts out to clean, impossible with a normal block, I usually find that they are clean anyway. They don't seem to get gungey like wood does.

v

Oh Vanessa, I knew I wanted that Eva Solo knife block as soon as I saw it but now I have a reason (other than aesthetic). At last, at last, the possibility of ditching the horrible pine block.

But can I give it to my husband for his birthday?

clb

I found it for $79 on a US site, link: Eva Solo Knife Block on tabletools.com - send yourself a referral for a 10% off coupon code. Looking at other Eva Solo items, I realize I already have the company's cutting board set.

The angled version is available on a British site for 45 pounds.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Instead I'll ask forever_young_ca: how many knives do you own, anyway? (and what types)

I would like to have about 20 knives in the knife block - this one looks like it will accomodate that many.

What kinds - they are a range - from a great monster (I think at least 12 inch) that I got in an estate sale (name unknown), but wonderful for wacking huge turnips & other larges beasts, several Wustoff, several E. Shaaf Goldhamster (fabulous knives), a couple of Henkels (have a hard time keeping them sharp as I like) and a couple from a local knife manufacturer. We have a local manufacturer that I am just trying out. He makes knives and ships them all over the world. They are beautiful specimens that he makes with your choice of tropical wood handles. He is very popular with a 4 - 6 month waiting list. I am just having a couple made to try out and should be picking them up the end of April. I also keep a couple old no names for hubbies use - he is not quite as particular about knife care as I am and is prone to cutting all sorts of things (cellophane, paper, cardboard) with knives.

I think my favorite (notwithstanding the local guy) are the Goldhamster. They are very heavy, with perfect balance. I have not been able to make the leap to the lighter weight Global yet. I have "tried" them out in the store, lifting them, pretending to chop, etc. They just don't seem to have the weight I like. Plus I don't trust myself to not slip while chopping. I would like to try one out in someone's kitchen before I buy one. On the other hand, maybe I will just have to buy one and see what all the talk is about...........Maybe I will have to order two blocks. :laugh:

I found it for $79 on a US site, link: Eva Solo Knife Block on tabletools.com

Thanks a bunch Rachel. I am soooooooooooo excited. Just clicked on the site and ordered one - they ship to Canada for $22.95. Will report to everyone once I receive it.

Thanks to all for you help. This is a great site.

I just counted the slots in my Eva Solo knife holder: 44. But I don't think you could fit 44 in, physically. 20 would certainly be fine. I only have 8.

The price sounds about right - bloody ridiculous considering it is only a square of aluminium with some plastic inserts. I guess you are paying for the idea, which is pretty clever.

Eva Solo products are pretty easily available in shops in London, but it is worth shopping around as prices vary.

v

honestly, it looks like a silly gadget. the plastic will soon be cut by the knives, get ragged and make storing the knives difficult. and they may say it holds 15 knives, but do take a look at the moma-link: it will hold no more than 6 of the globals shown there. and apparently not big enough to hold a really big (say 12") knife.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

Oraklet - not at all. I have had my block for over a year now. The plastic is very tough and thick - impossible to be damaged by the knives. I have 8 or 9 knives in my holder and it appears nearly empty. There is plenty enough room for more than double what I have. It is also easily tall enough to hold my longest knive, which I am sure is 12" (I am not at home right now).

Edit: but, as mentioned before, I have the upright model, not the slanted one as in the MOMA picture, which seems much less practical.

v

Edited by Vanessa (log)

then perhaps i've been overly suspicious towards it...while scandinavian modern design as a whole is of high standards, this is not the case with kitchen tools and gadgets (a canadian friend once said: "if the knife is all steel, doesn't cut and falls off the plate, take a close look at it: you can be sure it says "scando design" somewhere"). too much emphasis on looks.

still, i think i'd prefer a magnetic rack if it's safe for the edges.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

I ordered my knife stand from table tools on April 4. I received an email from them saying that it was currently not in stock and would be shipped in a few days. I was so excited about finding this beast...............and now I am waiting (not so patiently) :hmmm::sad:

• 2 years later...

I've gone through knife blocks and various gimmicks. I really like magnetic knife bars, but it's important to get strong magnets. I've had my Messermeister bars for 2 years and they're very strong and stable.

tn_gallery_33723_1685_47739.jpg

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

I've gone through knife blocks and various gimmicks. I really like magnetic knife bars, but it's important to get strong magnets.

Yeah, and it's important to recognize that thinner knives especially are at risk of falling. Our knife strip is on the door to the pantry, a great idea until I got a boning knife; because the blade is so thin, I have to keep the knife attached at the end of the strip closest to the hinges of the door, or else it falls off when we shut the door. :blink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts