• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine and Cheese

Adam Balic

Curious what people think would go well with a Reblochon? (Just had a nice example sans wine)

Something lighter in weight, fruity and red like a cru Beaujolais, or perhaps even a not-too-weighty red Burgundy. For a white, you'd be safest pairing with something regionally similar like a Chasselas if you could locate it, or dry riesling or something sparkling like a Blanquette de Limoux.

I just spent a week in Savoie, where reblochon is unavoidable -- not that you'd want to avoid it, except to save room for the tomme or a little beaufort. Savoyard wines seem to be labled by grape, a la nearby Italy and Alsace, and when the locals are in a red wine mood, they knock back a little gamay with their reblochon -- the base grape for Katie's beaujolais. There's a little more variety in the local whites, but I found that the roussette de Savoie, which tastes somehow like a redneck viogner (the sommelier at the local 2-star wouldn't let us order it one night: too unrefined for his chef's cuisine), made a wonderful match. Look for honeysuckle, rather than oak, is probably the lesson there. But delicacy is not a requirement.

My favorite match: a real sauterne, a chunk of cheddar that's done hard time in somebody's cellar, and a peach. Summertime.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

One of my favourite combos is a bit different than anything else mentioned. I am a fan of good quality Vouvray - cheap Vouvray can be pretty nasty. Demi-sec examples from good producers ( Huet, Champalou, Gaudrelle etc) and preferably a few years old, go well with a variety of soft and semi-soft cheeses, but my favourite is with French goat's cheese particularly Valencay.

Roquefort Le Papillon and Sauternes maybe a 1921 D'YQUEM

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Also like Parmigiano Reggiano with cabernet sauvignon.

Try a nice piece of aged Parmigiano Reggiano with some really high quality aged Balsamic vinegar (old enough to be really viscous and concentrated - I use a 20 year old) drizzled on it. :wub: :wub: This is truly one of the most delicious things EVER.

Yes, tru aceto balsamico di modena (the stuff certified by the consorzio produttori) on reggiano is hard to beat. For a wine (whether or not balsamico is in the picture) I like Amarone. I also like Amarone with gorgonzola.

But I'm simply gaga over explorateur and Champagne.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

than haute cuisine, but it works for me!

Anything goes/is haute cuisine in the era of postmodernism.

For me:

Gruyère Alpège and Chasselas from Saint-Saphorin.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Thunderbird and Velveeta.

Sliced off the block or the individually wrapped slices? :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've been doing a composed cheese course of Fourme de Montbrison (mild, slightly sweet and salty blue from the Auvergne) with a soy caramel, bacon, dried and crushed pain d'epice, prune, and a light caramel-like tuile. We've tried many pairings- Beaumes de Venise, White Banyuls, Amarone... but my fave so far is a Tokaji.

The idea behind the dish is to marry the cheese with both sweet and savory elements as cheese is such a great transistion between sweet and savory courses. Any other thought on pairings, perhaps something we haven't thought of?

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

I've been doing a composed cheese course of Fourme de Montbrison (mild, slightly sweet and salty blue from the Auvergne) with a soy caramel, bacon, dried and crushed pain d'epice, prune, and a light caramel-like tuile. We've tried many pairings- Beaumes de Venise, White Banyuls, Amarone... but my fave so far is a Tokaji.

The idea behind the dish is to marry the cheese with both sweet and savory elements as cheese is such a great transistion between sweet and savory courses. Any other thought on pairings, perhaps something we haven't thought of?

Maybe a Monbazillac? A bit less floral than the Beaumes-de-Venise and a little less heavy handed (I assume the Tokaji is of sufficient puttonyos to require an insulin shot, yes?) than the Tokaji might be. Monbazillac is like Sauternes slutty sister. A little less classy and a lot easier, but still a really sweet girl :laugh:

That cheese sounds divine. I shall have to find some. The composition sounds even better. What inspired the combination of the various savory elements of the tuile?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Also like Parmigiano Reggiano with cabernet sauvignon.

Try a nice piece of aged Parmigiano Reggiano with some really high quality aged Balsamic vinegar (old enough to be really viscous and concentrated - I use a 20 year old) drizzled on it. :wub: :wub: This is truly one of the most delicious things EVER.

Oh my God, yes! yes! yes!

I bought my first bottle of 25 y/o balsamic last year for my birthday (now what does that say about me?) and had great fun drizzling it on lovely things. The only way to improve that balsamic/reggiano paring is to add some slivers of pear. I hate pear - loathe it. But reggiano, pear and aged balsamic is just...swoony. :rolleyes:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I bought my first bottle of 25 y/o balsamic last year for my birthday (now what does that say about me?) ...

Maybe it says about you what it said about me when I bought my first fresh whole truffle for myself for my birthday a couple years ago!

I have a big smile from your post.

I so agree with you all about aged parm-reg, aged balsamic, and Cabernet, and next time will include pear. Like you, pears don't excite me, but I can't resist what gave you that reaction. I do love pears with whatever-good-bleu-cheese-it-is-at the moment and Port.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Aside from the Banyuls, what have you done on the fortified front? My guess is you probably don't want to go that route if this is a transition course and not the end of the meal, but I'm curious what you think.

If you don't want to pursue that direction, perhaps a Verduzzo Friulano. Also, I have a note below on an Alsatian Gewurz VT that seemed to be a "bridge" wine. Here's the note copied and pasted...

1998 R. Mure Gewurztraminer Clos Saint Landelin Vendange Tardive, Vorbourg Grand Cru. Seductive floral and apricot nose. Faint spice. Some orange peel oil. Not as sweet on the palate as one might expect. More suited for cheese or even savory cuisine. This is the type of wine I like with foie gras moreso than the thicker stickies.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

• 2 weeks later...

Not that it will surprise anyone, but I love Riesling with cheese. Older Riesling Auslese is wonderful with ripe, soft cheeses. I've had it with Tallegio and Reblochon and loved both matches.

Also Austrian Weissburgunder (Pinot Blanc) is great with goat cheeses.

I can't believe I am mentioning this after all these great suggestions, maybe this one is just too obvious:

Epoisses and Burgundy.

White or red burgundy, I normally don't go above Premier cru status on the wine because the chees is strong enough to overwhelm the subtleties of the wine.

I prefer red burgundy, though the wife says white. Guess which we normally go with? :wink:

Anyway, great thread!

I can't believe I am mentioning this after all these great suggestions, maybe this one is just too obvious:

Epoisses and Burgundy.

White or red burgundy, I normally don't go above Premier cru status on the wine because the chees is strong enough to overwhelm the subtleties of the wine.

I prefer red burgundy, though the wife says white. Guess which we normally go with?  :wink:

Anyway, great thread!

Along with Epoisses, my other favorite with Burgundies is Citeaux. I think that this is the correct spelling as I have only had this in France and have not been able to find this in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I was matching some cheeses to Billecart-Salmon NV Rose for a pre-dinner course.

One cheese that matched incredibly well and received great reception was the Ubriaco al Prosecco - a cow's milk cheese from Veneto that had been washed in prosecco must. It is a natural match to sparkling wine.

Another favorite was the incredible Bonati Riserva Parmagiano Reggiano. It is an artisanal cheese made by the Bonati family with milk that they get from their own cows. They feed the cows a particulat diet, that includes, if I remember correctly, lots of hay and cornflakes, among other things. The result is a sweet, amazing cheese that makes me wish for a giant wheel of it sitting out on a counter at home.

The other cheeses in the course were Humboldt Fog chevre and Hudson Valley Camembert. Yum.

(After dinner, we had some Stilton, Crater Lake Blue, and a gruyere with d'Yquem!)

Knowledge is good.