• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strange Lime Identification

Adam Balic

While shopping in a local Pakistani food store I came across an unusual citrus fruit. It was bright green, like a lime and of a similar circumference to Key lime, however, the fruit was very elongated, almost tubular. Some of the bigger fruit were10-12 cm long.

I asked what the fruit were and I was just told "limes". Well limes they may be, but they are not the usual Key or Tahitian limes that I have seen before. On cutting the fruit it looked very similar to a regular round lime, the aroma and flavour were very similar to a regular lime as well, with slightly more of a lemony edge then in a normal lime.

They were excellent in a G&T and I will maintain my supplies of them for this reason. Does anybody know anything about them or what they may be used for in more traditional cooking? Are they limes/lemons or anoter citrus entirely?

Now these were down-under ? Next time could you ask them the native name of the fruit ?

I'm kind of at a loss; since it could be a strain of lime which probably grows in the tropical islands.

anil

indiagirl - G&T = Gin and [indian] Tonic [water]. Ever heard of it? It is a really good drink :smile: .

I trudged around most of the Pakistani/Indian food shops in Edinburgh, until I found another store which sold these citrus. When I finally found another store I asked the owner what they were called he said "Limon". So it equally could be a strange lemon, which makes more sense given the source of the fruit and the hugh variation in lemon/citron shapes etc (anybody seen Bimbi's painting of the Medici lemon/citron collection?).

indiagirl - G&T = Gin and [indian] Tonic [water]. Ever heard of it? It is a really good drink :smile: .

Gin and Tonic? Hmmmm. that sounds vaguely familiar ........ have I ever had that before? It sounds like something I could spend many an evening drinking - sitting outside on the shady verandah in an easy chair. ......

Gin and Tonic? Hmmmm. that sounds vaguely familiar ........ have I ever had that before? It sounds like something I could spend many an evening drinking - sitting outside on the shady verandah in an easy chair. ......

indiagirl..you have such amazing instincts! how did you know that a shady verandah is the perfect place to drink a gin & tonic?

Lobster.

• 4 months later...

Strange citrus has been Identified.

I have seen the grown-up versions. They are about 20-25 cm long and 10-15 cm wide. In cross section they resemble a lemon with a very thick peel. The juice is not very plentiful and is not as sour as a lemon. The zest smells is similar to a lemon, with a herbal note. When cooked the flavour of the zest is quite different to that of a lemon.

This pretty much nails the identifiaction as a Citron/Cedro. Same species as the lemon, different sub-species though.