• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine cellar software

joiei

I have been trying to put my employers cellar on the computer using Robert Parker's Wine Advisor Program. And almost tearing my hair out as I went. The instructions book is about useless. Has anyone else used this program, if so, what shortcuts were you able to figure out when inputing data into the program?

What software have others used? Have you found the software to be user friendly or a pain?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Looks pretty good Pixelchef but I notice you input the wine by grape variety. While that would work fine for New World wines, how do you find it for something like Chateauneuf du Pape (possible 13/14 varieties!)?

I just put together my first cellar inventory after many years of wine buying. I just keep it in Excel. Works fine. Sorting by different parameters is easy, the whole thing is no big deal. I file CNDP as "Grenace +misc."

• 4 months later...

I am joining this thread rather late. I am looking fo cellar management software, and my lead contenders are Celler and Robert Parker's software. Each time I try one I think the other must be better. This may be driven by the limits of the demos. In Cellar, I cannot get it to accept a new wine, even though the demo allows new wines. In Parker, I find creating racks difficult. I like the idea of being able to have Parker ratings on the wines ,which you get in Parker but not in Cellar. The testimonials in Cellar are impressive. I do like the concept of the internet access to tasting notes and wine ratings (the latter you do not get with Cellar). Any suggestions on software? I am not limited to these two programs. Thanks.

I'm sorry - as a techie, I found the best method is to create a simple database - mine's in PHP - but you could use Access or somthing like that... Then you can search by your own criteria. No tasting notes though....

techie: as in, likes technology, but doesn't necessarily know how to use it!

Edited by grill-it (log)

Thanks for your input. What I like about the commercial software is that presumably they have thought of everything, and more importantly, provide access to easier ways to imput (having databases that have winery and wine details) and tasting notes, ratings and wine life information.

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this up, in hopes that someone might have updated opinions...considering this as a gift for someone, leaning towards the Cellar, as he's not a big Parker fan..any other options out there?

I've been using the Uncorked Cellar for a couple years. It doesn't offer cellar mapping options for finding bottles, but it's great for inventory, tasting notes, tracking drinking windows etc. It's written by an Australian fellow and you can find it online here.

I've used Access for years. I have fields for:

ID

Vintage

Producer

Wine Name

Appelation

Region

Country

Quantity Owned

Price Paid

My Notes

Consume

Others Notes

Published Notes

Type (white, red, dessert, sparkling)

grape

priority (I just code wines 1 to 5 in order of when I think they're ready)

Bin location

Obviously, not every wine needs every field. Blends don't need grape, a village Chambolle doesn't need wine name. And you have to be a little flexible (premier cru Burgs- the vineyard is "wine name", for instance). But it offers a myriad of sorting possibilities.

• 1 year later...

Enough chaos. Time to get organised.

I need to get my cellar stock keeping organised.

What software do you reccomend, or should I just use pen and paper?

I would like:

Track a few thousand bottles

Record all the usual stuff (purchase, use, etc)

Record guests/menus

Linked to a database of appelations etc, and to ratings such as Parker, Winespectator, Bradley etc with automatic updates.

Doing a quick web search for "cellar software" comes up with 12000 odd links! Help!

Robert Parker's Wine Advisor & Cellar Manager is no longer available, although perversely the updates to the database are.

What do you use and would reccomend?

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I would recommend simply creating a Microsoft Access database. This way you can add in any field, you want instead of being restricted by what pre-packaged cellar fields.

Access also will be more flexible in allowing you to run reports, search for variables, and modifying your database at any time.

You also can add in a barcode scanner in the future to make tracking easier.

The downfall is learning the program, but it isn't that hard.

Edited by Mnehrling (log)

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

Everyone uses Eric's Levine's Cellar Tracker!:

http://www.cellar-tracker.com/intro.asp

There is nothing that has anywhere near the features plus its web-based and you can store/share tasting notes with the rest of the Internet wine-drinking universe.

I strongly recommend against starting yet another closed Access database; unless you are planning to make it a full-time job, don't bother building a better mousetrap.

And if you don't want to use a Web-based solution, there's stuff like Cellar!, which is based on Access but without the need to have to program the database yourself. Supports barcodes, tracks auction stuff and does have online tasting notes with other Cellar! users.

One more vote for CellarTracker. If you're worried about losing your data should the site go out of business or some other mishap occur, you can download all of your data to Excel whenever you wish.

Eric Levine is also a really friendly and helpful guy. If you have questions, I would suggest sending him an e-mail.

By the way, I have nothing to do with the site. I'm just a happy user.

Good luck,

Jim

Edited to add that the site is completely free, though Eric does encourage donations from those who find it useful.

Edited by jrufusj (log)

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

I have owned Cellar for a number of years but I like Cellar Tracker better. I once started programming up a MySQL database with my husband (we're both professional computer geeks). Then I discovered Cellar Tracker had done EVERYTHING I had thought of and more. And it certainly uses the power of the internet to help you compare with other collectors. I think an Access database would make you nuts unless you enjoy data structures more than tracking and tasting wine.

• 2 weeks later...
hmmmm....perhaps a 'How To Use' thread by Cellartracker on eG??? it is free shareware..........

Where to begin...

Seriously, if anyone has any questions, I am very happy to answer them here, via email to eric@cellartracker.com, or at www.cellartracker.com/forum.

I don't want to overstep my bounds by overpromoting, so I would prefer to respond rather than spam if you know what I mean.