• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any changes noted?

PaulaJK

I live in the metropolitan NYC area where some have

expressed strident views in response to the French

government's statements on the war. While many

wish to pour wine, avoid eateries,etc we are not

among them. Nor had we ruled out future trips to

France. However, today I received a call from a

friend who had heard stories of Americans being spat

upon in Paris. Has anyone heard similar stories....or

more importantly, does anyone have feedback on

whether American tourists in France are being

treated any differently [this question assumes that

the tourist is not provoking it]

All bullshit and anti-French negative publicity... I am American and live in Paris. While nearly everyone is against the war, I have yet to see anything like that which you described...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I 've seen an article in the NY Times on this subject within the past two days.

I did a quick scan, and it appears to convey most of the hostilility by French folks has been directed against the US government and Mr Bush. Very little has been directed toward individual Americans, unlike 1968, when the activities you describe did occur. I wouldn't hesitate to go to France now, if that fear was the only reason

Americans in Europe

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I haven't encountered any negative aspect of being an American living in France. In fact, I haven't found anyone even wanting to bring up the subject of the war.

My wife and I are invited to French homes and invite French people to our homes routinely every week. The subject of the war doesn't seem to be high on the list of social topics. But this is rural France and the subject of whether the Spanish strawberries will be in the supermarkets before the French products is more of an issure around here.

I don't see much coverage on the television about Iraq and surprisingly I have to turn to CNN or the BBC to get more than a passing comment on the day's activities in Iraq.

Blackduff

I just reserved four dinners for a couple of American friends who enjoyed each one and never had any comments about Americans. Most of the French are anti-war, even anti-Bush and increasingly anti-Chirac who is perceived as breaking up the UN and causing a huge rift within Europe. When I was in England last week at a food show I did not hear one single anti-French comment. Its time to stop watching the news and start watching cooking programs again....

I am relieved and encouraged by your reports. I am always

rather suspect when people report such animosity ["spat

upon" e.g.] ...but.....felt perhaps I should enquire.

Although we may be 'laying low' until our world calms a bit,

we look forward to returning to Europe.

I too am an American living in Paris and have not heard of any Americans being treated poorly in Paris. I work in a restaurant in Saint Germain and have asked many American tourists if they have had any problems and everyone has told me that they have been warmly welcomed.

The French are unhappy with the current American administration, not with Americans in general!

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I haven't encountered any negative aspect of being an American living in France. In fact, I haven't found anyone even wanting to bring up the subject of the war.

My wife and I are invited to French homes and invite French people to our homes routinely every week. The subject of the war doesn't seem to be high on the list of social topics. But this is rural France and the subject of whether the Spanish strawberries will be in the supermarkets before the French products is more of an issure around here.

I don't see much coverage on the television about Iraq and surprisingly I have to turn to CNN or the BBC to get more than a passing comment on the day's activities in Iraq.

Blackduff

I wouldn't agree. The news on the French channels (TF1, France 2,etc) deals almost exclusively with the war...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

A couple of articles from www.parlerparis.com:

*** OUR READERS ASK IS IT SAFE TO TRAVEL TO PARIS?

"Due to the current war situation and the French position on the US led war we are concerned that our visit may not be all it can be. I am writing to you to find out your thoughts on our coming and if indeed we may have a few extra problems from the French. I am very concerned about not having a good time." Katie K.

"No matter what country we go to, we always just "blend in." But I wanted to know just how is American acceptance now that "war" has started? Do you have any advice for us as we are not going to cancel our trip since we've been planning it for over a year now and we love France!" Jeff 'n' Di L.

"We are concerned about anti American sentiment due to the miliary action being taken. Could you please advise of the current feelings toward Americans and if we should consider postponing our trip." Keitha P.

"My wife and I are taking a group of high school students to France in June. Parents are concerned with the potential problems which might arise because of the problems in the world. There are rumors of the French being hostile towards Americans because of our President's position on Iraq. Please give me some insight into how my students will be greeted if we are allowed to proceed with our trip. Thank you for any information you can provide." Jerry K.

* DEAR PARLER PARIS READER,

I offer you my own PERSONAL findings and feelings as well as (bleow) of others of whom you should have high regard (see the statement from Patrick Goyet and article by columnist Dave Barry).

I do not live in an isolated American world in Paris. Every day I do business with the French community, deal with the merchants in my own very French "quartier," meet several times a week with an international group of people at the Parler Parlor conversation group and socialize with French friends.

In the almost nine years I have lived in Paris, I have never known anyone to mistake the policies of the American government and of the president with Americans as PEOPLE -- not before and not now. I have never been mistreated by anyone because of my nationality (quite obvious by my accent if not by my dress). I have never been mistreated by anyone because of my religion.

Our French compatriots have been nothing but sympathetic of the disaster and loss from the attack on the World Trade Center and other U.S. monuments on September 11th. They felt our pain and they expressed it openly and genuinely.

They understand the American interest to vindicate this loss. They understand that we have a president elected by less than the majority, as they have one who was elected by default.

They know the acts of terrorism from a first hand basis. They know the ravages of war from a first hand basis. They live side by side with a Muslim community and they understand the possible consequences of unbridled aggression. They try not to be fearful nor to instill fear to cause unrational impulsive reaction.

The anti-France sentiment displayed by the U.S. with such gestures as to have "French fries" be removed from all restaurant menus in the three House of Representative office buildings and be replaced with "freedom fries" is an insulting and infantile act, if not a hostile one.

So, if you tell me that you have "heard rumors of the French being hostile towards Americans because of our President's position on Iraq," then remind yourself that these are just RUMORS, coming from the same people who have been hostile toward the French for the French government's position on war with Iraq.

Do not be afraid to travel here! You WILL NOT find any displays of hostility from anyone just because you are an American.

Of course, should YOU show disdain toward THEM, I cannot say how they might respond.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me...a little respect, oh yeah, just a little bit. Aretha, thanks for these important words for us to remember and live by.

Adrian

* Patrick Goyet, Director U.S.A., French Government Tourist Office wrote on March 14th in his newsletter, mailto:newsletter@francetourism.com:

DEAR E-NEWS READER,

In light of the current situation with Iraq and the different positions of the American and French governments, I wish to take this opportunity to address certain concerns you may have about traveling to France.

I would first like to emphasize that Americans have always been and will always be welcome in France. Since the late 1940s it is estimated that 35 million Americans, over 12% of the U.S. population, have already come to France at least once in their lifetime.

I am certain that a few American visitors will be asked about the U.S. Administration's policy on Iraq out of concern and a genuine wish to understand. But if indeed, as has recently been reported, there have been some unpleasant encounters, I strongly believe that they were few and far between. Speaking as a Frenchman and for the overwhelming majority of my fellow countrymen, I consider any such behavior embarrassing, offensive and ultimately very ignorant. We believe that travel is about people meeting people to better know and understand each other. In the end, there is much more that brings us together than what divides us. In life it is not the similarities that enrich us but rather the differences. We look forward to demonstrating our true hospitality and friendship on your next visit.

* I also urge you to tickle your funny bone with Dave Barry's poignant view of the tension between the U.S. and France:http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/5398886.htm

TO READ MORE: Go to http://www.parlerparis.com

I too am an American living in Paris and if anyone would have seen rampant anti-Americanism committed by the French I would and I haven't. I live around the corner from the Eiffel Tower and we go there every day sometimes twice a day to walk our dog. The first waves of American tourists are just landing and all is well. Plus as a Cordon Bleu student, one of my friends there is a big, blond-haired, blue-eyed, loud-mouthed American and if he hasn't seen trouble yet, it's unlikely anyone will.

Americans are still travelling, especially families, and seem to be having a great time, and enjoying the Paris springtime weather

blog

[The French people] understand that we have a president elected by less than the majority, as they have one who was elected by default.

I have to say, even as a non-American, I find this presumptious and offensive. The presumption is that of course the "American people" totally disagree with their elected President and Government, and of course the "American people" are against the invasion of Iraq, it's just that nasty maverick George Bush who is waging war, and of course the nice pacifist French people are entirely with the nice pacifist American people in opposing the nasty Mr Bush .......

I have no idea how the "average" French person is likely to interact individually with the "average" American person, but I can say with confidence that something like 70% of the French are anti-American (as disclosed in polls over the past few weeks) and a significant proportion of the Americans are anti-French (as disclosed in polls over the past few weeks) and my guess is that will not lead to too much entente cordiale.

Anti-American, I don't think so... Anti-American Government Politics maybe...

blog

I need to comment here. We were in France (Paris and the southwest) when the war broke out (March 12 through 25). Both before and after our invasion, we were treated with at least the usual warm welcome we are used to. If anything, we were uncomfortable at the extraordinary measures people went to put us at ease.

When we were in customs at our return to San Francisco, I commented to my husband that I only hoped that the many French people from our flight from Paris would be made to feel as welcome here and now.

We return to France on April 10 for several weeks without trepidation.

eGullet member #80.

The New York Times has another article on the tourists in Europe issue. This one differs significantly from the more positive view posted earlier. According to today's article, many American tourists have postponed or delayed their trips. Business persons have continued to come, but in fewer numbers, stay for a shorter period of time, and spend less.

American business people spend, on the average 358 Euro daily in France. Far more than UK or German visitors, so a decline in US numbers has a disproportionate economic impact. One official says business people are 10% of the visitors, but spend 35% of the revenue.

The article, written from Cannes, describes a deserted Hotel Crillon (barricaded US Embassy is nearby) and slumping occupancies for many luxury hotels in Paris. Various officials are quoted as bemoaning the situation. No mention of personal affronts, but rather more general fears of terrorism

Tourists

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

that is probably true. the traditional french attitude to politics is cynical, regardless of political standpoint. that is, politics doesn't as much involve judging persons as judging interests. in usa, lewinsky was close to being the downfall of clinton, whereas in france the president may have several maitresses or be involved in corruption without this having any major impact on his power. likewise, the average frenchman will not let his political point of view influence his conduct towards americans. he will, on the other hand, gladly discuss politics with anybody.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

that is probably true. the traditional french attitude to politics is cynical, regardless of political standpoint. that is, politics doesn't as much involve judging persons as judging interests. in usa, lewinsky was close to being the downfall of clinton, whereas in france the president may have several maitresses or be involved in corruption without this having any major impact on his power. likewise, the average frenchman will not let his political point of view influence his conduct towards americans. he will, on the other hand, gladly discuss politics with anybody.

Socially acceptable is a tricky slope, since public attitudes will often define what's acceptable as social protests.

President Chirac has issued an apology for the desecration of hundreds of British and Australian World War One graves in France. The vandalism involved writing obscenities, and contained negative messages toward the coalition war in Iraq, and urged the British to dig out their dead garbage and haul them away. Other vandalism against the September 11 memorials has also gone un-noticed

Although I'm sure this offends many French people, a little more horror would have been appropriate, I'd think. But, there wasn't much horror when synagogues were attacked last year, either...

Grave Desecration

rancho gordo

A friend of mine just ran the Paris marathon with an Israeli and an American flag on his shirt. He was greated uniformly with a warm response and encouragement. Indeed, I have just returned from Italy where I was treated as well as ever (which is to say better than I am in the US), despite the proliferation of anti-American graffiti.

If there is a decrease in tourism to Europe, it is based on the xenophobia of the average American who naturally assumes that Europeans think precisely as they do.

We're just back from Spain. We flew via Air France and changed planes in Paris. On a personal level we experienced nothing out of the ordinary and were well treated wherever we were.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.