• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parsi cuisine

anil

I made falooda last night at a friends birthday party. The basil seeds swell up to an astonishing extent. Two tablespoons of the dry seeds made way too much soaked. :rolleyes:

The rose syrup at my local South Asian grocery seemed to be mostly citric acid. :huh: so I made saffron syrup instead as suggested in this Gothamist blog entry. I'm not sure how authentically Parsi that is, but it was tasty! I topped it with ice cream made with almond milk - again, maybe not authentic, but we liked it.

gallery_12922_5827_155622.jpg

gallery_12922_5827_91271.jpg

gallery_12922_5827_69791.jpg

Thanks all !! Sorry for the delay in responding, I was away traveling.

edsel, your Falooda looks great!! As for my eggs...I just like eggs and have sufficient practice :raz:

Katie/Andrew, glad you enjoyed the Patra ni Machi. The chutney is pretty easy, add some cilantro, mint, ginger, dried coconut, vinegar, sugar and salt in a blender.

Marinate the fish with tumeric, chili powder and some salt for about an hour and then cover with the chutney. If you don't have banana leaves, you can simply wrap the fish in foil and steam it or place it under the broiler.

Enjoy...