• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parsi cuisine

anil

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Made some Indian food during Thanksgiving break.

Shrimp Kebabs

308179784_a1927142aa_o.jpg

Marinate some shrimp in tumeric, chili pepper, whole cumin seeds and salt for about and hour. Then combine with pieces of white bread and cilantro and pulse in a food processor until a paste just forms (do not make it too mushy).

308179725_bcdc64d8b0_o.jpg

Roll into meatball size and pan fry. Squeeze with lemon or lime and serve while hot.

308179747_cc9e6459ed_o.jpg

Then we made Dhan Dar (yellow dal) Patio (Paat-yoh)

308179798_a12cbd448b_o.jpg

The patia has fish in it. Since Pomfret is not available, we used striped bass.

308179819_47e063f82f_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to second what Pan said. I am hoping to make the shrimp kababs this weekend. They look like something I can handle despite my ignorance when it comes to Parsi food :). Percy, I've tried both your Americanized Dhansak recipe as well as your recipe for Akhoori and we really enjoyed both. Thanks so much for posting such detailed recipes and photographs.

-w@w

Can't find the link to "the egg files" forum, so I am posting it here

Tambotu Per Edu (Egg with tomatoes, onions and spices)

316077489_878138d169_o.jpg

Akoori w/ Roti

316077481_905df89e77_o.jpg

Papeta Per Edu (Egg with potatoes, onions and spices - variation on above dish)

316077508_36116b9b36_o.jpg

Also made some Sali Gosht (sweet & sour lamb/goat with potato sticks)

316077466_d308bc8a1a_o.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I am so excited to see there are threads about Parsi cooking...

I just learned about Parsi cooking reviewing My Bombay Kitchen by Nilafour Ichaporia King on my blog. Have any of you tried it? I would be so curious to know what those familiar with Parsi cooking thought of it. I loved the recipes but have not background to know how they compare to other Parsi recipes.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the thread Cookbook Addict. I have ordered her book and will let you know once I have a chance to review it.

BTW, a while back there was a thread on how many cookbooks eGullet members have and based on your handle, I am curious  :rolleyes:

Hey Percyn,

Look forward to hearing about your impressions of the book. I was so excited about it because they were some recipes, like patrel, that I had never seen in a cookbook before. I also loved the chickpea stew and the biryani recipes.

I have a serious cookbook purchasing problem and my collection easily runs into the hundreds. I have started a blog to justify my addiction, where I review a different cookbook each week. Makes for a lot of messy dishes but so far we are having a lot of fun with it. Eventually I will have to donate some of my books, though, since we do live in a space-challenged nyc apartment.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Percyn,

Look forward to hearing about your impressions of the book.  I was so excited about it because they were some recipes, like patrel, that I had never seen in a cookbook before.  I also loved the chickpea stew and the biryani recipes.

Well, I finally got a copy of the book a few days ago and while I have not had a chance to make any of the dishes, I did flip through the book and recognize many of the recipes.

The book has a combination of traditional Parsi recipes such as the patrel, patra ni machi (fish wrapped in banana leaf), Bombay duck (a fish), etc, but also had quite a few recipes that I seemed to borrow Western ingredients and techniques. There is nothing wrong with that and in fact we Parsi's pride ourselves of our ability to adopt the best from various cultures while preserving our own, which the author also seems to point out.

I was pleasantly surprised to see anthropological details scattered throughout the book along with personal family stories and memories, which made me reminisce some of my own. Yes, I was lucky to be born in a Bombay kitchen.

If you liked this book and are looking for authentic Parsi recipes, try Jamva Chaloji or PM me for some unpublished hand written recipes.

Cheers

Percy

P,.S: Nice blog Cookbook Addict

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There was a lovely story about Parsi food on NPR this morning: Sugar in the Milk: A Parsi Kitchen Story They interviewed Niloufer Ichaporia King, who shares some recipes on the linked page. Alice Waters was so enchanted with Parsi cooking that she decided to do a special Parsi New Year menu. It's on the Chez Panisse Downstairs menu for March 20:

Thursday, March 20        Special Dinner: Parsi New Year      $125

Pomegranate Kir royal

Cashews with ajwain, toasted papads with tamarind chutney, allium stew, and pickles

Ritual dal with spiced ghee

Prawn, squid, and line-caught monkfish brochettes with fresh turmeric and chiles

Green masala biryani with Cattail Creek lamb, spring vegetables, crispy onions, and pistachios

Passion fruit ice

Faluda and sweets

Lemongrass-mint tisane

Patra Ni Machi - Fish on Banana Leaves

Fish covered in Cilantro and mint chutney, wrapped in banana leaves and steamed.

Having tried Percy's patra ni machi, I can confirm just how tasty it is! Really good stuff.

Percy, I was looking for recipes on line and found a number of variations... is the cilantro/mint a traditional variation, or your twist?

Yes Percy, please share the chutney recipe! I will second Andrew's endorsement of Percy's patra ni machi. It's absolutely delicious. I suspect that chutney would work well on other things like chicken or pork too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have never seem this thread before, Oh My God the food!

I had to take a Zocor after I finished looking at Percy's eggs. Percy, did you go to a summer camp or take a college course to learn to cook eggs the way you do, I have never seen thier equal.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren